wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > General Mapping Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-25-2008, 02:05 AM   #1
Sabertooth_X
YOU GET ROCKED?

Submissions (14)

Sabertooth_X will become famous soon enough (54)Sabertooth_X will become famous soon enough (54)

Idea Changing the Ingame Minimap

This is a simple tutorial on how to change your ingame minimap! I've seen this explained all over the place, but have not seen it in a tutorial. I even tried searching for it in tutorials on here and hive, and found nothing. You can now also only change the preview!
--------------------------------------------------------
Pre-Tutorial notes:
--You can take a tga and convert it to a .blp, if you wish. Just remember when you import to change the path to either War3MapMap.blp or War3MapPreview.blp instead of .tga.
--The minimap does NOT need an alpha channel.

Step 1: The Image
• Open up an image in any program that can make .tga files.
• Take any image, make it's size 256x256 OR 128x128.
• Save it as a .tga (either 24bit or 32, but not 16 because that crashes WC3) -- If you're using a .blp, bypass this step.

Step 2: Importing
• Open Worldedit
• Go under the import manager (look next to the "test map" icon on the toolbar up top.)
Zoom (requires log in)
• Go under File -> Import File and then find your image. Make sure it is a .tga image.
• Change it's path to custom and make it one of these two options:
  • War3MapMap.tga- This will make both the minimap preview and in-game map the chosen image.
  • War3MapPreview.tga- This will make ONLY THE MINIMAP PREVIEW the chosen image. The in-game map will remain untouched (as in, what minimaps normally are)
  • **If you set both a War3MapPreview and War3MapMap, the War3MapPreview image will override the War3MapMap image as the preview image only. The ingame minimap will still be the War3MapMap image.**
Zoom (requires log in)

Step 3: You're Done!
• Now, you should be done. If you've done everything correctly, when you start your map, the minimap should be replaced with the image you selected.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tut1.jpg (91.4 KB, 650 views)
File Type: jpg tut3.jpg (42.8 KB, 571 views)

Last edited by Sabertooth_X : 03-16-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Sabertooth_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-25-2008, 07:39 AM   #2
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabertooth_X
(i believe it can be 128x128 as well, not sure)
You should test and find out if this works for sure.

Aside from that, I like the simplicity and usefulness of this tutorial! Good job!
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 12:48 AM   #3
Sabertooth_X
YOU GET ROCKED?

Submissions (14)

Sabertooth_X will become famous soon enough (54)Sabertooth_X will become famous soon enough (54)

Thank you, Pyro.
It does work with 128x128, and I have updated the post with the screenshots, as I said I would.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:18 PM   #4
Dark.Revenant
User

Submissions (1)

Dark.Revenant will become famous soon enough (44)Dark.Revenant will become famous soon enough (44)

.blp's work as well. They are also (usually) slightly better compressed than .tga's. Perhaps you should mention that...
Old 04-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #5
Sabertooth_X
YOU GET ROCKED?

Submissions (14)

I know .blp is what you need for the Loadscreen, wasnt sure if you could use them for the minimaps. But I'll see what the change in quality is in a bit, in a game on bnet right now.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:18 PM   #6
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (817)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

You simply need to replace war3mapMap.blp; I don't quite understand this needing to fiddle with any game interface settings.
Old 04-27-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
Sabertooth_X
YOU GET ROCKED?

Submissions (14)

And it just got made even simpler.
I only had that extra step in there because I originally must've screwed up something and it only worked when I did that. I knew something was funny with that = /

Thanks RDZ.
EDIT: I've also added in how to just change the minimap preview. :D

Last edited by Sabertooth_X : 04-27-2008 at 06:25 PM.
Sabertooth_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:22 PM   #8
abriko
User

Submissions (22)

abriko is a jewel in the rough (159)abriko is a jewel in the rough (159)

You forgot to tell about paramaters of Tga format. 16,24 or 32 bits/pixel ?
Old 05-30-2008, 02:59 AM   #9
Sabertooth_X
YOU GET ROCKED?

Submissions (14)

I honestly didn't pay attention to that. I just found a random image and saved it as a TGA then imported it.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:49 AM   #10
Tide-Arc Ephemera
Overdoses result in death

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

It's 24 as far as I know.

If you're having troubles getting help on WC3C or anywhere at all, please have a look at...
The WRONG way to ask for help and The CORRECT way to ask for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alevice
You may never stop our bioweapon! We mexicans shall rule the third world! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Please acknowledge that I use Mac and avoid suggesting vJass and other tools that don't work on it. Thank you.
Tide-Arc Ephemera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 04:56 PM   #11
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

This could be a really useful tutorial if you know, it covered all aspects of the thing and explained them all. Right now, it's really kind of unhelpful and unspecific.

If you explained the types of targas it accepts and probably whether or not the damned thing needs an alpha channel, it would get nothing but better. If you don't know, I suggest testing it yourself.
Old 09-18-2008, 07:50 PM   #12
Sabertooth_X
YOU GET ROCKED?

Submissions (14)

Okay. I only have one targa option when saving, so I don't even know what other types of targas are. I only have .tga. That's it, and its 24.
As far as alpha channels go, no, you don't need one for the minimap or the minimap preview.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #13
Tide-Arc Ephemera
Overdoses result in death

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

There's 16, 24 and 32. As far as I know 24 is the one that's used.

If you're having troubles getting help on WC3C or anywhere at all, please have a look at...
The WRONG way to ask for help and The CORRECT way to ask for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alevice
You may never stop our bioweapon! We mexicans shall rule the third world! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Please acknowledge that I use Mac and avoid suggesting vJass and other tools that don't work on it. Thank you.
Tide-Arc Ephemera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 11:03 AM   #14
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

I was surprised to see we didn't have a minimap tutorial yet.
Anyway, to get my approval I ask a few things:

1. Elaborate on the supported TGA types. Since an alpha channel is not required that pretty much leaves us with 24 bit images. However I'd be interested if War3 supports RLE-encoded TGAs. You can download the free Paint.NET program where you can save TGAs with different settings and try them ingame.

2. Remove the colors from your post. The green doesn't go well with some themes (eg. Tauren). Use size=5 or somthing instead of the colors.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
Sabertooth_X
YOU GET ROCKED?

Submissions (14)

Colors removed, Pitz.

Paint.NET is telling me that I need some framework thing so I can't get it working right now.