wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Modeling / Animation
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
dust
User

dust has a spectacular aura about (95)dust has a spectacular aura about (95)dust has a spectacular aura about (95)dust has a spectacular aura about (95)

Hero #4 extra-official winner

Default Lava Colossus

Decided to submit this model to get some more suggestions/critism, at the hive I already got comments bothering about the head, but I don't have an idea how it could look like or how I could at least spice it up.

It's a lava elemental/giant like the model name already says.

Mesh is made from scratch, no custom textures and uses MountainGiant animations. Might also try to create a scratch icon or at least a screenshot edit for it.

enjoy and give credits if you use it in your map and/or if you edit it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg LavaColossus.JPG (44.5 KB, 302 views)
File Type: jpg LavaColossusIngame.jpg (51.0 KB, 153 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip LavaColossus.zip (49.8 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by dust : 02-21-2010 at 09:07 PM.
dust is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-21-2010, 09:39 PM   #2
Figueiredo00
User

Submissions (1)

Figueiredo00 has little to show at this moment (1)

i test the model, the particles are awesome, look very realistic , the animations are good too.

about the head, look good in game, only the portrait its weird.
Figueiredo00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:42 PM   #3
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)

Skinning Contest #12 WinnerSkinning Contest 6 ~ Ancient Civilization

This has really bad anatomy and the face features are practically unexistant. Itīs really dark and plain in the ingame view too.
NiRVaNa_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

The face looks... Really off. It's also as Nirv said, extraordinarily dark and unnecessarily so. Take a gander at the Firelord and you'll see what looks good in WC3 and what doesn't when it comes to this stuff.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
HyperActive
User

Submissions (1)

HyperActive is on a distinguished road (18)

It would be nice if you could made some lava cracks on his body also.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #6
dust
User

dust has a spectacular aura about (95)dust has a spectacular aura about (95)dust has a spectacular aura about (95)dust has a spectacular aura about (95)

yay finally some more comments :D
err...could you make a fast draw-over how the anatomy should ~look like?? And maybe some suggestions where I could exactly place some more lava(the firelord is almost completely red, but with a lot of armor actually)?? Oh and I had in mind to add some cracks.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)

Skinning Contest #12 WinnerSkinning Contest 6 ~ Ancient Civilization

Well, I actually downloaded the model and I can now tell that is actually symmetrical, but in the pictures you can see that the shoulders get really deformed, thatīs mostly what I was refering to the anatomical issues. The arms should get some tinkering to make them look less like tubes coming out of his body.
The (his) right arm looks really weird with that thing (Iīm guessing it is some kind of lava torch?). I would definitely encourage you to make this model assymetrical, and make that arm a lot bigger than the other, dunno if the anims would fit, but if youīre going to make such a thing on the arm, make that feature stand out more. I would definitely make the spikes on the back bigger too.
The face just doesnīt fit. Maybe a quick google for some golems would help.
The texture is really monotone, as it has been told already. You could add some more metal like the bracers you make to make them look less out of place.

Pic just in case:
Zoom (requires log in)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (302.3 KB, 166 views)

Last edited by NiRVaNa_87 : 03-01-2010 at 10:47 PM.
NiRVaNa_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 04:21 PM   #8
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

I definitely agree with Nirv, his outline is basically what would make this model awesome instead of meh. Heck, even the smiley face. :p
Old 03-08-2010, 04:41 PM   #9
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

I think because submit a resource is getting cluttered and that this needs quite a bit of work, I will just move it to the modeling forum. If/when this gets updated to make everyone happy, I can move it back.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
dust
User

ok sounds fine to me. I might ake some progress on it this weekend.
oh and thank you for the suggestions. I'll try to take your advice on most of these points. :)
Old 03-11-2010, 08:20 AM   #11
bboy-tiger-
User

bboy-tiger- has little to show at this moment (6)

Send a message via MSN to bboy-tiger-

Great but I would adding horns could make him look more badass.
bboy-tiger- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:45 AM   #12
GoshujinSama
User

GoshujinSama has little to show at this moment (4)

i would do the face like this

GoshujinSama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 01:26 PM   #13
dust
User

oh that's a quite good idea. I hope I can do some changes this weekend :/