wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Tools
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-24-2009, 11:45 PM   #16
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

I forgot Kate is actually a good editor, meh, I might actually dish gvim for this (I can already hear Pipedream's laments) However, I won't approve this plugin yet, reason: low quality ...

Kate allows code folding, please add code folding to this, blocks should be able to fold, also add the non-standard //! region that will hopefully become usual for folding in editors.

Collapse JASS:

//! region MEH
       // region does @absolutely nothing@, however in editors it is a good way to allow code folder for large chunks of related code.
             set x = 2
    //! endregion

Quote:
Notice that you didn't make "Red" and "Blue" in different threads. (But you did approve that silly purple version that no one is ever going to use just because it wasn't made by you)
I am not sure people understood this yet, so I'll actually say it: purple is better than both red and blue... It is safer than blue (and of course since it is safer than blue it is safer than red) and it is almost as fast as red, in fact the speed difference is incredibly neglect-able.

But how about the other timer systems there are many added before TimerUtils ... Oh, I guess they ARE different... They don't do the same thing, they are implemented differently, are made by different people and they work differently - Exactly like different syntax highlight plugins.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-25-2009, 12:43 AM   #17
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
But how about the other timer systems there are many added before TimerUtils ... Oh, I guess they ARE different... They don't do the same thing, they are implemented differently, are made by different people and they work differently - Exactly like different syntax highlight plugins.
If it were up to me, they'd all be in the graveyard because they work differently and aren't interchangeable. So in a way, I am at least being consistent in that I think similar things (as I see them) should be grouped together.

You disagree with me; that's fine. You're the boss anyways.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:06 AM   #18
Flame_Phoenix
retired coder | real ilfe

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Send a message via MSN to Flame_Phoenix

Quote:
Kate allows code folding, please add code folding to this, blocks should be able to fold, also add the non-standard //! region that will hopefully become usual for folding in editors
Mmm, Ok so you want me to add folding? I will see what I can do about that.
Also, I don't understand one thing "//!" is already being used for macro. You are saying you want me to transform it into region editors for Kate that allow folding? Won't that conflict with macros in vJass after ?
Please elaborate this point.

Quote:
they ARE different...
Good to know some one agrees with me ....

Anyways, I will see what I can learn about code folding for Kate, but this will take a little longer, I have many deadlines this week (and next week) and I need to focus.
3-Making a spell in vJass - Practice Session 1
Check out all my current spells at here
Finally, check my project:
Castle vs Castle Flame Edition
Flame_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

akolyt0r has a spectacular aura about (120)

jasshelper only recognizes valid //! commands ...it just ignores unvalid ones ...so it wont conflict at all...
Old 03-25-2009, 01:24 PM   #20
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Quote:
jasshelper only recognizes valid //! commands ...it just ignores unvalid ones ...so it wont conflict at all...
Mmmm still, I used to use
Collapse JASS:
//!
to make my comments, people told me to remove them because I could make the compiler crazy and so I switched to
Collapse JASS:
//
. I think I will allow people to make folding using
Collapse JASS:
//BEGIN
and
Collapse JASS:
//END

New version is in progress.

I also intend to add folding to things like functions, but that is an idea only for now, this process of folding seems to be more complicated then I initially thought at first and the Kate forum really lacks explications for this matter.

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 03-25-2009 at 01:26 PM.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:03 PM   #21
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Quote:
to make my comments, people told me to remove them because I could make the compiler crazy and so I switched to
Well, it is that we just made some sort of standard //! is for commands and other stuff, it does not make sense to use commands when you are commenting, so it is not a good idea to use //! when you don't mean it.

But as for region or //BEGIN //END, they are not commands they are still syntax extensions, so it makes the most sense to use //! , also //! region is supposedly going to be used by more software. Two cents: Either add //! region or don't add anything, //BEGIN / //END would be useless as it gives a new job to normal comments and no one else will use them, it is also giving actions to normal comments, which is not going to be nice.
Faster != more useful
Old 03-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #22
Barade
User

Barade is on a distinguished road (14)

Hey wow!
I am surprised about this and I'll probably use this when I work on Linux next time. There are some missing expressions:
- super
- defaults
- delegate
- stub
- keyword
- or
- and
- not
- create
- onInit
- destroy
- evaluate
- execute
- getType
- typeid
- size
- allocate
- exists

Maybe you could add preprocessor keyword highlighting for textmacro, runtextmacro etc. and for $expression$ expressions.

Sorry but I do not understand why there are the expressions threaded, property and prototype. Are they vJass?!

Last edited by Barade : 03-25-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Barade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:46 PM   #23
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
Well, it is that we just made some sort of standard //! is for commands and other stuff, it does not make sense to use commands when you are commenting, so it is not a good idea to use //! when you don't mean it.

But as for region or //BEGIN //END, they are not commands they are still syntax extensions, so it makes the most sense to use //! , also //! region is supposedly going to be used by more software. Two cents: Either add //! region or don't add anything, //BEGIN / //END would be useless as it gives a new job to normal comments and no one else will use them, it is also giving actions to normal comments, which is not going to be nice.
Got it. In version 1.1 people will be able to define regions as you request.
I also intend to add folding to the following:
globals - endglobals
if - endif
loop - endloop
method - endmethod
function - endfunction
scope - endscope
library - endlibrary

Please note these are only ideas, I can not guarantee their implementation ... to allow for the //! region MEH I just had to recode part of the core of the plugin, I am not totally sure the changes I have to do for the others.

Quote:
Hey wow!
I am surprised about this and I'll probably use this when I work on Linux next time. There are some missing expressions:
- super
- defaults
- delegate
- stub
- keyword
- or
- and
- not
- create
- onInit
- destroy
- evaluate
- execute
- getType
- typeid
- size
- allocate
- exists
Quite an impressive list. I am admired, I was using the same keywords Vex uses for gVim (which is why I credit Vex in the extension).
I will add these asap to Kate and Gedit as well.

Quote:
Maybe you could add preprocessor keyword highlighting for textmacro, runtextmacro etc. and for $expression$ expressions.
I already have an highlight for "//! and I guess I could add something for $text$, however I am not sure is Vex will like it. All other highlit extension I have seen don't have such a feature, I guess it would be breaking the standard.

Quote:
Sorry but I do not understand why there are the expressions threaded, property and prototype. Are they vJass?!
Quote:
I was using the same keywords Vex uses
I guess that if vex uses them, they must be vJass xD

Thx for the feedback guys.
I am seeing that a few members of the community are specially interested in this application (which is unusual) and since Vexorian is also giving motivation and feedback I will try to speed up things a little bit.

Stay tun, I will post news about my plans for 1.1
Old 03-26-2009, 12:12 AM   #24
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

I haven't updated the jass.vim file in my signature for ages, I guess I should submit it.

Quote:
They are ghost from when I designed vJass syntax along with other people's feedback, I think they should even work in the Jass tag:

prototype was actually what I then called "function interface"
Collapse JASS:
threaded prototype Meh takes nothing returns nothing

edit: Seems I removed those words from the Jass tag.
Faster != more useful
Old 03-26-2009, 03:18 PM   #25
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Mmm, I wonder, maybe I should also release vJASS API as a resource ? I have all functions, types and keywords and besides that way it would be easier to change them and easier for other people to use them.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:38 PM   #26
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

That's the sort of thing to be posted at the warcraft III editing tools forum or its programming subforum.
Faster != more useful
Old 03-26-2009, 04:58 PM   #27
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

That's the sort of thing Vex should do, since he has them all already in the JASS tag. (Plus, his name makes it more official)
Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #28
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
That's the sort of thing to be posted at the warcraft III editing tools forum or its programming subforum.
Where is that ?? I can do that if you give me a link =D

Quote:
That's the sort of thing Vex should do, since he has them all already in the JASS tag. (Plus, his name makes it more official)
Actually he doesn't ... which is why I offered to do that.

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 03-26-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 PM   #29
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

The jass tag's php probably has all the keywords as I add them to the jass tag at the same time I add them to jasshelper.

You know the forum where the jasshelper thread is located?
Faster != more useful
Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #30
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
The jass tag's php probably has all the keywords as I add them to the jass tag at the same time I add them to jasshelper.
Thought so.