wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Code Resources > Systems
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

akolyt0r has a spectacular aura about (120)

Default NovaSys

Well ...its a System to create Novas (you all know them).
Since xe has no module to achieve this easily i made this (for guys who dont have/dont want to have xe in their map, i added 2 other versions. however i would recommend the xe version).

It uses one timer for all instances and it is pretty flexible, see attached map for more info.
ChangeLog

v1.0: initial release
v1.1: dropped development of the no-xe versions, remade the create method, added a bunch of additional operators for more flexibility, updated testmap.

Expand JASS:

TODO

+ Add Functionality for direction change of Nova (Outwards>Inwards and vice versa)
+ Add Functionality for xefx's flash method
+ Add Functionality for onFinish method

Attached Images
File Type: png novasys.png (22.0 KB, 1095 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x NovaSys.w3x (87.0 KB, 398 views)

Last edited by akolyt0r : 07-04-2009 at 11:35 AM.
akolyt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-03-2009, 12:07 AM   #2
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

Has someone already looked into this ?
Any criticism / comments ?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:46 PM   #3
DioD
obey

Submissions (4)

DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)DioD is a jewel in the rough (220)

Send a message via ICQ to DioD

I dont see any reason to submit systems based of an other system that can do this without any major modifications.

ofc you will need to type some chars, if you want some nova, create projectiles directed via polars.

Last edited by DioD : 02-03-2009 at 12:47 PM.
DioD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DioD
I dont see any reason to submit systems based of an other system that can do this without any major modifications.

Thats not true, this Nova system is pretty much independent, using xefx only makes it more comfortable for the user. So it totally NOT based on xefx.

Well maybe its based on xebasic ...LOL

According to you, many Systems in the Database would be senseless...since the same somehow applies to them.

Quote:
ofc you will need to type some chars,
Thats true, approximatly the code would get as long as this system, for EVERY Nova-Spell in your Map.

Quote:
if you want some nova, create projectiles directed via polars.
Thats what this system does. Additionally its highly customizable.

And btw there is already a Nova System in the Database, but its not up-to-date anymore (uses kattanas handle vars) and its pretty damn slow.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

this piece has been much too long on page 2 of the "submit ressource"-Forum ...
Old 04-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

The "xebasic only" version is silly, if someone has xebasic in their map importing xefx is a piece of cake.

The create method has a long argument list, you should shorten that. The caster parameter is not needed, users can include it in their own nova code when they exted your Nova struct if they want to. speed and radius parameters (I think it should be speed and duration, though) could be moved to a separate "launch" or "explode" or whatever method.

You should add methods/method operators that allow the user to move (and get) the nova's center. Then, you should calculate the xefx positions based on the center of the nova and the time elapsed rather than the xefx's last position. Likewise, get and set operators for current nova size and speed are needed.

You create one xefx too many.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:20 PM   #7
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
The "xebasic only" version is silly, if someone has xebasic in their map importing xefx is a piece of cake.

The create method has a long argument list, you should shorten that. The caster parameter is not needed, users can include it in their own nova code when they exted your Nova struct if they want to.
yeah, i aggree on that.
Quote:
(I think it should be speed and duration, though)

of course i can add additional methods based on duration, not the radius...
Quote:
speed and radius parameters could be moved to a separate "launch" or "explode" or whatever method.
You should add methods/method operators that allow the user to move (and get) the nova's center. Then, you should calculate the xefx positions based on the center of the nova and the time elapsed rather than the xefx's last position. Likewise, get and set operators for current nova size and speed are needed.
I cant really think of a application which would need that sort of thing, maybe you can give me an example... then i will implement it right away...

Operator for speed is already useful, so i will implement it ...
Quote:
You create one xefx too many.
didnt get that ...what you mean ?
Old 04-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #8
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by akolyt0r
of course i can add additional methods based on duration, not the radius...
I think it should be based only on duration. There's no sense in having two expiration methods when one can be easily expressed with another.

Quote:
I cant really think of a application which would need that sort of thing, maybe you can give me an example... then i will implement it right away...
The first suggestion is mainly to reduce the argument count for the create method. If you had speed and radius (or rather duration) operators then a special "start" method wouldn't really be needed.

As for the position suggestion, it's simply a lot cooler if you can make a moving Nova. A rotating Nova, too (although this is just eyecandy, it doesn't affect gameplay). I'd also suggest implementing other xefx features, like flash, recolor, etc... If you're going to use xefx, then really use it.

Quote:
didnt get that ...what you mean ?
Exactly what I said. The create method will create waves+1 xefx objects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by documentation
To further extend the usefulness of this feature, you might want to make some private variables of the NovaSys public
What is this nonsense? You shouldn't write that in the documentation ever.

Also, there's no mention of a way to prematurely terminate the Nova (for example, could be used in a channeling spell).
Old 04-11-2009, 04:28 PM   #9
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

Quote:
I think it should be based only on duration. There's no sense in having two expiration methods when one can be easily expressed with another.
i never said i will write two expiration methods 0.o ..i just thought of an additonal create method... hmm yeah i should have been more precise about this.

Quote:
The first suggestion is mainly to reduce the argument count for the create method. If you had speed and radius (or rather duration) operators then a special "start" method wouldn't really be needed.
Ok

Quote:
As for the position suggestion, it's simply a lot cooler if you can make a moving Nova. A rotating Nova, too (although this is just eyecandy, it doesn't affect gameplay). I'd also suggest implementing other xefx features, like flash, recolor, etc... If you're going to use xefx, then really use it.

What is this nonsense? You shouldn't write that in the documentation ever.
The reason why i havent added stuff like this, is that i wanted all different versions to be compatible and exchangeable to each other...
hmm ...seems like i will have to drop further development of the no-xe version and everything will be fine....

Quote:
Also, there's no mention of a way to prematurely terminate the Nova (for example, could be used in a channeling spell).
Ok, .terminate will be added ASAP
Old 04-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #10
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akolyt0r
i never said i will write two expiration methods 0.o ..i just thought of an additonal create method... hmm yeah i should have been more precise about this.
No, I understood you, but I don't think an additional create method is needed. I'd just use duration only and drop the rad struct member.

Last edited by Anitarf : 04-11-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #11
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

already dropped the .rad struct member ...
i have implemented speed, radius and duration operators now

since i dont have a speed-parameter now and no .rad struct member, i had to add some debug messages for the radius operator though, since it wont work properly when speed hasnt been set before ...

EDIT:
Expand what i got so far:

Last edited by akolyt0r : 04-11-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 12:56 PM   #12
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

updated...
TestMap now contains an additional Nova-Ability aswell (rotation ftw).

I got a issues.. with this however... when the user does not use .angOffset for rotation, but for something else (who knows what "the user" could have in mind ...). The facing of the missiles will fuck up :( ... seems like i will have to add a boolean operator isRotation (default= true).

Last edited by akolyt0r : 04-12-2009 at 12:59 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:30 PM   #13
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Due to the long amount of spells in the submit forum. I decided to start the 'one day one spell' program.

Everyday I pick the spell at the last page of the submit a resource forum. After 24 hours I will either approve or graveyard it so I hope akolyt0r is active enough the next 24 hours to do changes if I find things that are flawed with this spell.

Edit: First impressions.
Demomap
Fire nova's effects are way too massive, good thing it is just as system sample, else it would have been a blocker.

edit 2: Code: All right, that was easy, approved.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 AM   #14
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
Due to the long amount of spells in the submit forum. I decided to start the 'one day one spell' program.

Everyday I pick the spell at the last page of the submit a resource forum. After 24 hours I will either approve or graveyard it so I hope akolyt0r is active enough the next 24 hours to do changes if I find things that are flawed with this spell.

Edit: First impressions.
Demomap
Fire nova's effects are way too massive, good thing it is just as system sample, else it would have been a blocker.

edit 2: Code: All right, that was easy, approved.

1: Huh, i only get a fps-drop of 1 fps ... or did you mean it looks too "massive" ?

2: Cool ;)

3: I noticed i should update xe in the demomap ...
Old 06-09-2009, 04:59 AM   #15
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
1: Huh, i only get a fps-drop of 1 fps ... or did you mean it looks too "massive" ?
It is not beautiful.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote