wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 10-29-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Default Timer System Trolling

Expand JASS:

Expand JASS:

Expand JASS:

TimerUtils has Blue, Orange, Red, Purple and Chromatic flavors.
A testament to inability of making a right choice.

I attribute it's widespread use to general masochistic temperament of wc3 modders.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #2
Bribe
User

Submissions (1)

Bribe will become famous soon enough (30)Bribe will become famous soon enough (30)

Send a message via AIM to Bribe

And the rest of us will be developing resources suitable to our needs instead of sitting idle reaping their own statures.

Nice to see you around just to make this one troll post.
Bribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #3
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Sorry you don't have enough mana to perform Ad Hominem attack.

I am just curious why people still use explicit attaching and explicit recycling.
(Pissing Vex off is always a nice side bonus thou)

I think we need another timer system...
Old 10-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

You could start with a proposal...
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
tooltiperror
User

tooltiperror is on a distinguished road (11)

Timer System Design 101

Cohadar claims that this verbose timer attachment is wrong. Why? Because it makes sense. As a periodic event, I am not interested in the idea that this is a timer object running in the background, I am just interested in the idea that this event is happening periodically and that data is attached to it.

Bribe (and many others) see that this is too high of a level of abstraction, and working with timers as objects makes far more sense, and the code has much more verbosity.

This will forever be a debate amongst programmers. It is reminiscent of C versus C++, in which we must ask, do we want to think of these things as integers or truly as "objects"?

I think the best approach is choosing the right tool for the job. While writing something like a weather system, Cohadar's approach may be better. For a spell, Bribe's is better. Because I think consistency is important (hence the idea of conventions) I will go with the verbosity every day. Better for code to be too verbose than too confusing.

Systems like Timer2 and Timer Tools just make this timer shit ugly as fuck. Sorry Bribe and Nestharus, but your code can sometimes make me want to throw up.

I'll stick to TimerUtils. But I use wrappers, TimerSetData and TimerGetData are much more intuitive and natural looking for me.

EDIT: Also, do I even have to mention that "TT_" is a disgusting way to name a function?

Last edited by tooltiperror : 10-29-2011 at 05:52 PM.
tooltiperror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #6
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

Behold, timer system that does same shit as TimerUtils with 1/3 lines of code and implicit attaching and recycling.

Collapse JASS:
library Timer uses Table

struct Timer
    private timer tim
    private integer data

// timer -> Timer
    private static HandleTable timerTable 

//==============================================================================
    static method onInit takes nothing returns nothing
        set .timerTable = HandleTable.create()
    endmethod

//==============================================================================
    static method start takes code handlerFunc, real period, integer data returns Timer 
        local Timer ret = Timer.allocate()
        if ret.tim == null then
            set ret.tim = CreateTimer()
        endif
        set ret.data = data
        set .timerTable[ret.tim] = ret
        call TimerStart(ret.tim, period, true, handlerFunc)
        return ret
    endmethod

// no need to flush timerTable because indexes are recycled by struct
    static method stop takes nothing returns nothing
        local Timer t = .timerTable[GetExpiredTimer()] 
        call PauseTimer(t.tim)
        call t.destroy()
    endmethod    

static method getData takes nothing returns integer
        local Timer t = .timerTable[GetExpiredTimer()] 
        return t.data
    endmethod
endstruct

endlibrary

EDIT: tested and verified.

Example of use:
Expand JASS:

Last edited by cohadar : 10-29-2011 at 06:19 PM.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:33 PM   #7
tooltiperror
User

tooltiperror is on a distinguished road (11)

>2011
>Not using SpellStruct/xe
Let's get real.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:45 PM   #8
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohadar
I am just curious why people still use explicit attaching and explicit recycling.
Mainly because people are speed freaks and abstracting stuff tends to be costly in Jass. Consider your Timer example, in its current form it's still fast thanks to the ugly .getData method, however if you wanted to change it so that the callback function takes the data value as an argument, you suddenly need an extra .evaluate. Good luck finding a user who doesn't mind the overhead.

Also, that example is kinda horrible, periodically checking if the unit still has the buff is so 2006. Just trigger your dispel, sheesh.
Quote:
(Pissing Vex off is always a nice side bonus thou)
Hah. Don't let his recent couple of posts fool you, he's been inactive for more than half a year now, it's unlikely that he will see this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltiperror
>2011
>Not using SpellStruct/xe
Let's get real.
Your post lacks clarity.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:28 AM   #9
PurgeandFire111
User

PurgeandFire111 will become famous soon enough (58)PurgeandFire111 will become famous soon enough (58)

Quote:
Behold, timer system that does same shit as TimerUtils with 1/3 lines of code and implicit attaching and recycling.

Eh, the main reason why the code is so long is because of the preloading timer thing and the 3 flavors. The real code ends up being shortened by a lot (staticifs) and the functions that matter have relatively short code.

Anyway, imo we don't need more timer systems since the differences in speed are realistically negligible. We don't want it to be like the time when TimerUtils, HandleVars, HSAS, ABC/ABCT/TT, T2Ix, and HAIL were all viable timer systems. Instead, we should embrace the fact that people normally conform to using 1-2. =)
PurgeandFire111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 09:07 AM   #10
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurgeandFire111
Eh, the main reason why the code is so long is because of the preloading timer thing and the 3 flavors. The real code ends up being shortened by a lot (staticifs) and the functions that matter have relatively short code.
You need preloading and timer lookup only in really really optimization intense maps,
that is for crazy physics engines.
And people that make those usually inline their timer stuff manually anyways, they don't need systems.

THE MAIN PURPOSE OF SYSTEMS IS TO MAKE MAPPING EASIER.
Speed/Optimization is something for private use, there is no such thing as general purpose optimization.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurgeandFire111
Anyway, imo we don't need more timer systems since the differences in speed are realistically negligible. We don't want it to be like the time when TimerUtils, HandleVars, HSAS, ABC/ABCT/TT, T2Ix, and HAIL were all viable timer systems. Instead, we should embrace the fact that people normally conform to using 1-2. =)
You are mixing timer systems with handle attachment systems there.

But yes Table owned HandleVars, ABC, HSAS and HAIL.
But not because it is faster but because it is easier to use.
The reason there was so much handle systems was not because they were really different but because they used different interfaces to do the same stuff.
The differences in speed were 99% of times imaginary arguments of systems author (me included)
The same reasoning is now applied to "flavors" of timerutils.
Flavors exist because of imaginary arguments...

IMHO, there should be one timer system fast enough for 95% of people.
Those 5% freaks will make their custom systems no matter how good standard one is anyways.

I mean there are people now claiming that hashtables are slow == a sure sign of optimization deranged mind.

Something to think about: you don't need timer preloading if you use timer recycling.
Old 10-30-2011, 10:21 AM   #11
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
You need preloading and timer lookup only in really really optimization intense maps,
that is for crazy physics engines.
And people that make those usually inline their timer stuff manually anyways, they don't need systems.
Stuff like physics engines only needs one timer, so they're not really in the market for timer systems.

Quote:
THE MAIN PURPOSE OF SYSTEMS IS TO MAKE MAPPING EASIER.
Speed/Optimization is something for private use, there is no such thing as general purpose optimization.
Well, if given the choice between a faster and a slower implementation of the same library, assuming all else like API and safety being equal, I'd always go with the faster implementation, so I don't think code optimization is without value. I agree that this value is not high enough that I'd be willing to trade much convenience or safety for it, but I wouldn't go as far as to say optimization doesn't matter.

Quote:
IMHO, there should be one timer system fast enough for 95% of people.
Those 5% freaks will make their custom systems no matter how good standard one is anyways.
The problem is, those 5% freaks then submit that code and I have to deal with it. :) Well, it's not as bad since Nestharus stopped submitting stuff.

Quote:
I mean there are people now claiming that hashtables are slow == a sure sign of optimization deranged mind.
Well, they are slower than arrays. They are also incredibly useful for their cost. I use Table all the time when dealing with handle or object ids, however, in cases where it doesn't make a difference whether I use a Table or an array, I will use an array.

Quote:
Something to think about: you don't need timer preloading if you use timer recycling.
Preloading the timers in TimerUtils is not an optimization, though. It's there to prevent bugs. If timers were created only as needed then a timer might get created later in the game, at which point the handle id it gets assigned might be too large for array data attachment. That doesn't seem likely in any maps that I make so I always set the preload count to 0, but in a map that is partially made in GUI and has leaks, it could happen.

What PurgeandFire111 said is true: a minimal implementation of TimerUtils would be much shorter.

You didn't respond to my previous post, would you find the overhead of an .evaluate acceptable in order to have a nicer timer callback that takes the data value as an argument instead of using an awkward getData method?
Old 10-30-2011, 01:22 PM   #12
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
You didn't respond to my previous post, would you find the overhead of an .evaluate acceptable in order to have a nicer timer callback that takes the data value as an argument instead of using an awkward getData method?

TT uses .evaluate to make this possible: (implicit timer release)
Expand JASS:

Using evaluate to remove getData function is pointless,
since you have to write explicit struct cast anyways,
so you get same number of code lines in the end.
Collapse JASS:
private function Periodic takes integer data returns boolean
    local Data d = (Data)data  // how is this better
    local Data d = Timer.getData() // than this
endfunction

Last edited by cohadar : 10-30-2011 at 01:23 PM.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #13
Deaod
User

Submissions (11)

Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)Deaod is a jewel in the rough (192)

Arent there more things to do with timers than starting? Like pausing, getting the remaining time and getting the elapsed time?
What about non-periodic timers with no data attached? Seems to me like call TimerStart(NewTimer(),TIMEOUT, false, function Callback) is about as hard/long to write as call TT_StartEx(function Periodic, 0, PERIOD).
Yes, this is probably a minority of all use-cases of timers, but its a reasonable one. One size just doesnt fit all.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
cohadar
master of fugue

Submissions (5)

I still explicitly create timers when it is logical to do so.
Besides don't make this thread too serious, I was just trolling.

Basically I use TT because:
1. I made it
2. It makes great sense to me (because I made it, hah)

I don't really care what other people use (that was me like 3 years ago)