wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Art Gallery > Terrain
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 05-13-2015, 12:18 PM   #1
fladdermasken
User

Submissions (24)

fladdermasken will become famous soon enough (51)fladdermasken will become famous soon enough (51)

Default Reinventing Old Terrains: Lone Wanderer 2.0

Ohai thar. So. A while back there was some buzz about redoing old dated pieces with fresh techniques and resources. And this one has been a long time coming.

This is the first piece I ever did that I felt pride over, and it's also the reason why I got into this atmospheric shit that I'm so damn into today. So basically this was a huge fucking challenge, yadda yadda.

I terrained the original, and bobviously this piece too, to Thomas Newman's American Beauty.
https://youtu.be/al21Vtlsg4A

Lone Wanderer 2.0 (first attempt)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lone Wanderer 2.0.png
Views:	133
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	51116

Lone Wanderer 1.* (original) vs. Lone Wanderer 2.1.

EDIT - Updated following some pointers. New colossus without flappy arms and with stronger ties to the original piece! I also tried to shift the focus from the overlit bridge to the colossus by removing one lantern and adding background glow in the distance to make him appear silhouetted against it. Oh, and I extended the handrails for the bridge slightly and added a few environmental ornaments.
Attached Images
File Type: png Lone Wanderer 2.1.png (1.12 MB, 94 views)

Last edited by fladdermasken : 05-14-2015 at 09:18 AM.
fladdermasken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-13-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

The new version is a lot better tecnically, but it seems to be more about the bridge than about the wanderer. I looked at the old piece first, so I quickly spotted it in the new piece as well, but to someone looking at the new piece only, he may not be immediately apparent. You could argue that the surprise on noticing it is part of the idea, but then it's not the same idea as with the original, where the wanderer is obscured by fog but still very obviously looming in the picture.
Old 05-13-2015, 10:06 PM   #3
fladdermasken
User

Submissions (24)

fladdermasken will become famous soon enough (51)fladdermasken will become famous soon enough (51)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
It seems to be more about the bridge than about the wanderer.
Good point. I guess I got so caught up in the lighting that I kind of shifted the focal point. I think it works alright though, all things considered.

Quote:
You could argue that the surprise on noticing it is part of the idea, but then it's not the same idea as with the original, where the wanderer is obscured by fog but still very obviously looming in the picture.
Yeah. I guess the difficult part lies in making an obscured detail the focal point. In the old one, he is not obscured enough.

I'll see what I can do about it.

Quote:
very obviously looming in the picture.
Heh. It's kind of funny, like last time, that people see it as a looming threat while the jist originally was a lonely lost colossus being drawn to the light of the abandoned lighthouse. You know, cruel twist of fate and all that. I'm good either way though, it's all in the eyes of the beholder when push comes to shove.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #4
fladdermasken
User

Submissions (24)

Oh, yeah. Update! Forgot to mention that yesterday.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:29 PM   #5
deolrin
Tas'dingo!

Submissions (13)

deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)deolrin is a jewel in the rough (167)

Send a message via MSN to deolrin

Well, damn. That's really impressive. The creature in the updated version is amazing. Does it have a unit basis or is it all doodads?
I must say that this is probably my favourite piece of yours so far. Reminds me of the time when a lot of people were doing those giant construct-creatures made out of doodads. Really fantastic work!

~Gladiator, Sacred
deolrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 10:16 AM   #6
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

I like the update. :)
Old 05-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #7
Heins
User

Submissions (8)

Heins is on a distinguished road (12)

Send a message via Yahoo to Heins

I still miss the previous cyborg-ish wanderer D:

Nice setting btw.