wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map / Campaign Projects
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Default Project: Tiny-RPG

Destiny's Wake
By Captain Griffen

Outline
A single player RPG, set in an original universe. It may be somewhat clichéd in its creation, but it damned well knows that it is and sometimes even mocks itself.

Story
Stuff happens. You'll find out the story when you play the RPG. It's hopefully pretty good, though.

Features
- A (hopefully) good storyline.
- Various characters.
- Witty dialogue.
- More interesting combat than most RPGs.
- Various systems to improve gameplay.
- Skippable dialogue.
- Checkpoint system.

Skippable Dialogue
Dialogue that is not linked to actions remains up until passed on by pressing the 'escape' key, allowing you to go as fast or as slow as you read; the system works flawlessly as far as I can tell - it looks good, and makes the game flow much better.
(Credit to Anitarf for most of the ideas for that)

Checkpoint System
At various points in the game (fairly regularly), you pass a checkpoint. Data is saved, and you can reload the game there after you die without reloading the level (I'll probably add a menu opening ability at some point). You can start a new game, continue from the last checkpoint, or load any checkpoint you have passed.

It should be noted that these are saved in gamecache, and should, aside from any major variable changes, carry on from version to version without any issues, which is a great plus for testing and updating.

Progress
First chapter, From Hence We Ride, has been released as a beta; it's a bit more like a demo than a fully fledged chapter, but still should be a lot of fun!

Music version:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/6283
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-28-2008, 06:37 PM   #2
Ant
User

Submissions (1)

Ant will become famous soon enough (28)

Oooo I remember some long time ago someone had an idea of creating an RPG in a 32x32 map... the name tiny RPG kind of reminds me of it.

Nice storyline description ^^. Will be checking on it.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #3
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

The first installment IS on a 32x32 map, incidently. Hence the name. That part is basically ready. It just needs a wee bit more testing and to be terrained properly. Oh, and I need to find some music for it.

It's around 10 minutes worth of gameplay (around 1 minute of fighting, the rest of it kick ass dialogue and short cinematics). The others will be longer, on larger maps, and have more fighting.
Quote:
Old 01-28-2008, 08:01 PM   #4
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Hmmm..... You will finish this project right? Unlike you other rpg

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:56 PM   #5
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

I finished Warlords didn't I?

Erm, ignore the fact it's still technically in beta and I still have a couple of things to patch up with it.

But anyway, I learnt a lot from my previous RPGs, and this one I do intend to finish.
Quote:
Old 01-29-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Callahan
Bullseye

Submissions (72)

Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)

Good...solo RPG is the best map type and i'm always gald to see someone making solo RPG.
The Checkpoint system look very interesting.As i said once Death=game over with silly defeat message sux and it's just discouraging from finishing the map.
Also the fact that checkpoint system carry on other version is just amazing!
May i ask you how you did such a system?
Because i also want to improve the save system of my map.

Anyway i'll hope you'll have great fun with making your RPG.

_________
I support every RPG map maker.
_______
OMG!My signature doesn't countains subliminal messages anymore!
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #7
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callahan
Good...solo RPG is the best map type and i'm always gald to see someone making solo RPG.
The Checkpoint system look very interesting.As i said once Death=game over with silly defeat message sux and it's just discouraging from finishing the map.
Also the fact that checkpoint system carry on other version is just amazing!
May i ask you how you did such a system?
Because i also want to improve the save system of my map.

I made the system using a neat little system. Wait a bit for the first installment and you'll be able to look in the code.

Quote:
Anyway i'll hope you'll have great fun with making your RPG.

Thanks. And don't worry, I will get around to testing your map shortly, just had exams and stuff.
Quote:
Old 02-01-2008, 10:33 PM   #8
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Okay, released a beta for the first chapter:

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/6283
Quote:
Old 02-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #9
Ant
User

Submissions (1)

Ant will become famous soon enough (28)

So far it's simple and fun, which makes it very enjoyable. Keep it up! Hope that throughout the game the amount of character interaction will be almost as high as in this demo, though I doubt so since this is the introduction part, but endless combat something I like much.

Very minor gripe. I didn't actually know that I HAD to use escape to advance in the cinematics seeing as how the first cutscene advanced automatically. Sure, one learns after the first few minutes, but I was stuck at the first 3 words for 1 minute waiting for it to move on.

I feel that the camera is often a bit too close. Personal opinion though, so others might think differently.

It's nice that the combat system has you doing something actively, and one on one it works well (though without much variety in attacks it gets quite predictable). In fighting groups though I find myself having to run around, attack once and pressing B, and repeating that motion. It's basically impossible to fight more than one enemy head-on at any time, so it's neccessary to have them move slower than you, but it's also impossible to get hit if they move slower than you and you just run around them. I'm not sure what you have planned for the future, probably groups of monsters with different speeds, and it might be good to have more than one defensive ability so that you can tackle groups of enemies at once or do different things on different enemies (like maybe some attacks can't be blocked and must be jumped over, while some must be parried, and you can counter some attacks but with more precise timing).

I'll definitely be following this map though for as much time as I have.
Old 02-02-2008, 03:08 PM   #10
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant
So far it's simple and fun, which makes it very enjoyable. Keep it up! Hope that throughout the game the amount of character interaction will be almost as high as in this demo, though I doubt so since this is the introduction part, but endless combat something I like much.

There will be longer sections of combat in the next chapter, but still a lot of character interaction.

Quote:
Very minor gripe. I didn't actually know that I HAD to use escape to advance in the cinematics seeing as how the first cutscene advanced automatically. Sure, one learns after the first few minutes, but I was stuck at the first 3 words for 1 minute waiting for it to move on.

The first cutscene has actions going on during dialogue, and hence is timed automatically. Apart from those few ones (which will hopefully be non-existant in future chapters, or as near as possible), they are all skippable, and wait for you to be ready.

Quote:
I feel that the camera is often a bit too close. Personal opinion though, so others might think differently.

I find it just right, but I except I'll make it an option on the options menu, when I add it (along with easy-medium-hard).

Quote:
It's nice that the combat system has you doing something actively, and one on one it works well (though without much variety in attacks it gets quite predictable). In fighting groups though I find myself having to run around, attack once and pressing B, and repeating that motion. It's basically impossible to fight more than one enemy head-on at any time, so it's neccessary to have them move slower than you, but it's also impossible to get hit if they move slower than you and you just run around them. I'm not sure what you have planned for the future, probably groups of monsters with different speeds, and it might be good to have more than one defensive ability so that you can tackle groups of enemies at once or do different things on different enemies (like maybe some attacks can't be blocked and must be jumped over, while some must be parried, and you can counter some attacks but with more precise timing).

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with combat in the next chapter, but rest assured that you will gain something new at the start of the next one. Your ideas there are good, and I'll take them into consideration.

Quote:
I'll definitely be following this map though for as much time as I have.

Thanks for the feedback and kind words!
Quote:
Old 02-02-2008, 10:25 PM   #11
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Updated a bit, with more skippable stuff and also selectable difficulty options, as well as some other stuff.

Uploaded a music-less version to this thread.
Quote:
Old 02-02-2008, 11:10 PM   #12
SeruK
I'm the One

Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (8)

SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)

Send a message via MSN to SeruK

Alright, I like it. However there are some things that bugged me:
- The new battle system is defiantly a good idea which makes the battle more controlled, but it sort of gets ruined by your peep auto-attacking the enemies.
- The outdoor terrain is flat and has floating trees all around. (Sorry Rao)
- The dialog seems to.. fast, or rushed or something. That might be me used too used to This Wreckage though.

Last edited by SeruK : 02-02-2008 at 11:11 PM.
SeruK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #13
Fluff
or your money back!

Submissions (1)

Fluff will become famous soon enough (64)Fluff will become famous soon enough (64)Fluff will become famous soon enough (64)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeruK
- The new battle system is defiantly a good idea which makes the battle more controlled, but it sort of gets ruined by your peep auto-attacking the enemies.
- The dialog seems to.. fast, or rushed or something. That might be me used too used to This Wreckage though.

I played through it and I agree with SeruK's comments. There's also a typo in one of the old man's (forgot his name) dialogues. It's where he is talking about time threads, but he says "treads".

Combat system should be pretty cool and in a long RPG it'll be much better than clicking and wait for the enemy to die.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #14
Captain Griffen

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeruK

Thank you; feedback is always useful.

Quote:

*grumbles about Anitarf always being right*

I'll make auto-attacking an option in the menu.

Quote:

I'll pass it on to his Raoy-ness.

Quote:

In content, or actual physical speed? Because except when you are in control, the dialogue time to text ratio is quite large.

Quote:
I played through it and I agree with SeruK's comments. There's also a typo in one of the old man's (forgot his name) dialogues. It's where he is talking about time threads, but he says "treads".

Combat system should be pretty cool and in a long RPG it'll be much better than clicking and wait for the enemy to die.

Thanks; I'll fix that typo.

*gives cookies to both for feedback*
Quote:
Old 02-03-2008, 10:07 AM   #15
Callahan
Bullseye

Submissions (72)

Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)

I've tried it.First it's a very enjoyable.It shows that you can make a lot with few.
It's more the story that make it entertaining since the gameplay is too simple for now.
Also it's just a really minor detail but the camera when your are in a room (father or daughter) is a bit too close.I have to move Nazar right in the corner of the screen to go out.
I think you should press X to turn letterbox mode on when you create your camera.

Also the hotkey for 'block' I guess it's default set to 'B' for 'Berserk' but just set it to B in custom because in french version of war3 the default hotkey is 'F' for 'Folie furieuse'.

_________
I support every RPG map maker.
_______
OMG!My signature doesn't countains subliminal messages anymore!
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote