wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Misc. Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-21-2004, 08:38 AM   #1
Draco
Need a Stockmarket App?

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Draco will become famous soon enough (68)Draco will become famous soon enough (68)Draco will become famous soon enough (68)

Default Using more than one skin on the "same model" (Importing a copy model)

Note: Technically, you don't make it so the model uses more than one skin, you change the path in the model and import it, thus making it a "new" model, so to speak, that uses a new skin file.

I think I did this before already but here goes again to hopefully stop some frequent questions to me.... This tutorial assumes you have a .mdx of a model and wish to change the skin path on it so you can have two different versions of the model. Doing it this way requires you to import a new model file and the skin into your map/mpq. Also, this isn't technically recommended if you are worried about map size, as it will raise it some, but I think it's worth it, and size don't matter anyways! (at least in this case) ;)
_________

Things Needed:

<> Expansion (TFT)
<> Wc3 File Converter
<> Notepad (preferred text editor)
<> Possible an MPQ extraction program to get the needed model file

- - -

Step 1 - Put the model file you wish to put a second skin on into the directory (folder) that the wc3 converter program is in.

Step 2 - Run the file convert program and load the .mdx file. Then convert it to an MDL. This may pop up an error message or you may get one when you quit the program, but just ignore it as it's only the result of sloppy programming.

Step 3 - Open the MDL file with Notepad (preferred). Next you need to scroll down or search for an area that looks like this....
Example:
}
Textures 5 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "",
		ReplaceableId 1,
	}
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\Arthas.blp",
	}
	Bitmap {
		Image "",
		ReplaceableId 2,
	}
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\Yellow_Star_Dim.blp",
	}
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures\RibbonBlur1.blp",
	}
}
Materials 5 {
This is from the Arthas MDL file. Notice the main texture path "Textures\Arthas.blp" All that is really needed here is something like "Textures\Arthas2.blp", but you are free to alter it more if you want.

To clarify, RENAME THE PART IN QUOTES (IN THIS CASE, "Textures\Arthas.blp") TO A NEW NAME. DO NOT ADD A LINE, JUST RENAME THIS TO SOMETHING ELSE!!!

JUST REMEMBER WHAT THE EXACT PATH IS! I recommend Copy-and-Pasting it anyways to ensure it's the same.

Step 4 - Use the converter program to convert it back to an MDX. This should be fairly straight foreward. Remember: make sure the file is in the same dir/folder as the program and ignore any stupid error messages.

Step 5 - Importing time. Import your new model and skin file (that you are going through this whole process to work. It doesn't really matter what you name the model file that you import, but you don't have to give it a custom path, just leave it alone. Now you WILL need to set a path for your skin file that will go on the new model file that you altered. Change that to the path you set in Step 3 of this guide. Make sure it's exact PLEASE!

Step 6 - Once you have imported and set the correct paths, please save, quit, and re-open the World Editor. Load your map and then go to the Unit Editor and set the desired unit's "Model File" to the imported one you made. It should work right away.

edit: vexorian added missing data to renable this as a working tutorial

Last edited by Draco : 12-31-2008 at 05:59 AM.
Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-21-2004, 08:45 AM   #2
HexenLordX
User

HexenLordX is on a distinguished road (20)

Draco, you, are a lifesaver. I found another tutorial floating around the site on how to make a model use more than one skin. Actually, what the tutorial did was make you rip the skin and model from the MPQ, edit the skin to your liking, edit the .mdl to include the new skin, and re-upload into the WE under completely new paths. All this did was make me the user have to upload several models if they want one person to use several different skins.

This method however, will save me much needed space in my map. I have several items that use the same model, but different skins. I found myself having to upload the model file 6-7 times, just to make it use a different skin file.

This will really come in handy to those who want to make units look different when equipping different armors, although a method for an armor using a different skin will have to be found.

I know your method doesn't do this directly, but it made me realize I could replace small textures on each of my models, only in the parts needed. The other tutorials weren't as clear as this one, and if they were, my brain didn't understand them as well as this one, so thank you.

I do believe you've helped a lot of people, if I seem to be going overboard, you've saved me 400kb on my map. Thank you.
HexenLordX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 08:49 AM   #3
Draco
Need a Stockmarket App?

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Draco will become famous soon enough (68)Draco will become famous soon enough (68)Draco will become famous soon enough (68)

It's not really a size-friendly thing to be honest, but it gets the job done.
Old 07-21-2004, 10:19 AM   #4
Alfred
User

Respected User

Submissions (6)

Alfred is on a distinguished road (17)

Send a message via MSN to Alfred

Ahhh!! Notepad is bad! Suggest them to use wordpad, as it doesn't lags :)
Nice job there Draco.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:27 PM   #5
PheoniX_VII
User

PheoniX_VII has little to show at this moment (8)

Alfred, your notepad lags Lol, what computer do you got anyway ? :P
Anyway, realy nice tutorial. It will come in handy when I use my planes which i before had to have a total new model for each, and I use a lot of them.
I will use "it" even more now :)
Thanks for letting us know. :D
PheoniX_VII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 01:31 PM   #6
Alfred
User

Respected User

Submissions (6)

Alfred is on a distinguished road (17)

Send a message via MSN to Alfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PheoniX_VII
Alfred, your notepad lags Lol, what computer do you got anyway ? :P
Anyway, realy nice tutorial. It will come in handy when I use my planes which i before had to have a total new model for each, and I use a lot of them.
I will use "it" even more now :)
Thanks for letting us know. :D

:/ ever done HUGE portion pasting? It lags a lil before it pastes. Not the fact that it LAGS all the while. That also includes replacing ONE single line that is the textures
Old 07-21-2004, 01:40 PM   #7
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)

Regardless of CPU or RAM, notepad lags. Just like a super computer wont allow Warcraft 3 to use a billion polys on screen. Its program limits.

Be excellent to each other.
Whitehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:35 PM   #8
13layde
User

13layde has little to show at this moment (0)

You're awesome thanks a lot. I saw Masterslowpoke's tutorial on this but it was really confusing to me because there wasn't much of an explaination. But this will be very useful. :D
13layde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 05:02 PM   #9
VileVII
User

VileVII has little to show at this moment (0)

Wow, this is going to be very usefull, thank you very much ;)
VileVII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 04:54 AM   #10
Draco
Need a Stockmarket App?

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Thanks. ^__^
Old 07-22-2004, 02:30 PM   #11
MaD[Lion]
MaD Da ViNci

Respected User

Submissions (10)

MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)

i feel soo stupid here, i dont understand this part:
Quote:
This is from the Arthas MDL file. Notice the main texture path "Textures\Arthas.blp" All that is really needed here is something like "Textures\Arthas2.blp", but you are free to alter it more if you want. JUST REMEMBER WHAT THE EXACT PATH IS! I recommend Copy-and-Pasting it anyways to ensure it's the same.

can u make an example?
Timing SystemTiming system that simulates the usage of PolledWait just with 0.01 accuracy
MaD[Lion] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 05:19 PM   #12
Draco
Need a Stockmarket App?

Respected User

Submissions (1)

What do you mean? That IS an example. That screen is from the Arthas MDL file. The "Textures\Arthas.blp" is what you are looking to change. For the demon hunter it will be "Textures\HeroDemonHunter". What more help do you need there? Maybe you can be more specific.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:54 PM   #13
Illadins-Blades
User

Illadins-Blades has little to show at this moment (0)

There is a much simpler way. You can have one path to to RoC version of the model and the other path to the tFT version.
Illadins-Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 04:28 AM   #14
demonboiwr
User

demonboiwr has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco
What do you mean? That IS an example. That screen is from the Arthas MDL file. The "Textures\Arthas.blp" is what you are looking to change. For the demon hunter it will be "Textures\HeroDemonHunter". What more help do you need there? Maybe you can be more specific.

i'm not clear as well, i think what we're trying to figure out is whether u replace the texture path w/ the new path or whether u add a whole new line for the texture path. if we need to add a new line for the additional texture path, then we would be very grateful if u could provide an example (i.e. before and after). thanks for the great tutorial!
demonboiwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2004, 10:49 AM   #15
MaD[Lion]
MaD Da ViNci

Respected User

Submissions (10)

MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)MaD[Lion] is a jewel in the rough (225)

All that is really needed here is something like "Textures\Arthas2.blp"

What did u mean with "Textures\Arthas2.blp"? Shall i replace the "Textures\Arthas.blp" witht this? or shall i keep it the same? or shall i add new texture bitmap? I dont get this part.
Timing SystemTiming system that simulates the usage of PolledWait just with 0.01 accuracy
MaD[Lion] is offline   Reply With Quote