wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Testing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2014, 06:16 PM   #16
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
... my multiplayer test with Rao (he was the host, so I could feel the lag. The lag was strong with me).
I didn't feel any lag at all.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNfraNe
Except of course, for the enemy fighters..
Yeah, this would only work in singleplayer where AI fighters can be forced to fly without rolling. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao Dao Zao
I didn't feel any lag at all.
The host never does. And that's good, you at least got to experience the map properly, like I do when I test it in singleplayer.
Old 12-30-2014, 01:04 PM   #18
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
Yeah, this would only work in singleplayer where AI fighters can be forced to fly without rolling. :)
Awhh but they'd look so much cooler spinning around to their deaths!
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball

Last edited by iNfraNe : 12-30-2014 at 01:19 PM.
iNfraNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Awhh but they'd look so much cooler spinning around to their deaths!
It's not like you can hit them anyway. :)

In any case, there is an alternative to using bone locking for pitch/yaw: we could use unit facing to control yaw, chaos morphing between different units to control pitch and switching between multiple stand animations to control roll. It would take more effort, but at least it would be guaranteed to work.
Old 12-30-2014, 11:43 PM   #20
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

so you mean... importing 360 models? :)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 12-31-2014, 09:09 AM   #21
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

No, you can make different units have different pitch even if using the same model. This is the method the original GUI SW:SA used. Also, you'd use steps bigger than 1 degree, so you wouldn't need 360 different units.

There's also some overlap: a unit with yaw 0, pitch 135, roll 0 is the same as a unit with yaw 180, pitch 45, roll 180, so technically you'd only need to cover 180 degrees of pitch, although it's probably best to cover all 360 degrees, because otherwise things might look weird because you can't instantly change a unit's facing by 180 degrees like it would be required to switch between the two examples above.

Last edited by Anitarf : 12-31-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #22
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

How do you change the pitch of a unit with the same model?

You could always remove and recreate instead of morph in the situations where you'd need to change the yaw instantly, but that might just not be the better option :).
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 12-31-2014, 06:35 PM   #23
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Quote:
How do you change the pitch of a unit with the same model?
Object editor - unit - Art - Maximum Pitch Angle - set it to a negative value. :)

The map actually still contains fighter units for all 5-degree angle increments between -65 and +65 degrees, as well as a Chaos ability for morphing them, back from its GUI days. We could use the same method for roll, but that'd require too many custom units, so I'd rather use animations for that. The solution is still not ideal, you need a bunch of units and stand animations and the increments are still pretty large, might be noticeable ingame. It's actually an interesting question, what would be the most optimal increment?

Also, we need to figure out MIDI music again. I remember we added the SW theme as background music to the original map back in the day, really added to the atmosphere and didn't increase the file size dramatically.

Last edited by Anitarf : 12-31-2014 at 06:37 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #24
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

I forgot that it also worked on units :) Thought that trick was only usable on doodads.

midi! Ha. Yea I remember that. How the hell did we do that again? :) I think we needed to import the midi sounddatabase or something like that...
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 01-01-2015, 05:32 PM   #25
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Yeah. Wc3 uses MIDI for environmental sounds, crickets and the like. Each tileset has one MIDI track that basically plays these sounds randomly. We had to import two files, one to override the environmental sound database with a sound database that contains actual instruments and another to override one of the random sound tracks with the SW theme.

I just found the files imported in an older version of the map, I'll port them to the new one right away. :)
Old 01-02-2015, 04:13 AM   #26
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

It's heart-warming to see stuff like this still going on. I can definitely resonate with the twin feelings of confusion ("how did I even do that??") and revelation ("ah, yeah!").
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:46 PM   #27
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

Right. There was alot of that :)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 01-10-2015, 04:44 PM   #28
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Major update! I've recoded the engine so that it supports full 3D movement. This was made possible by quaternions, because they are magic! Well, I say recode, but I only had to modify small parts. This is because modular code design is also magic!

The last bit of magic necessary to make it all work was handled by Rao_Dao_Zao who edited the X-wing model for me so that it can roll. I couldn't have done it without him (well, I could, but I'd be too lazy to try), so big thanks to Rao.

I've also implemented the MIDI music but the quality was worse than I remembered, so I've taken it out again for the time being. The filesize it added, while smaller than an mp3 would be, still wasn't negligible. I've also added laser sounds, they're cool so they're staying.

Last edited by Anitarf : 01-10-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #29
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

This is seriously awesome now :) Just needs some tweaking on the camera to get it easier to handle (maybe a bit further away from and more responsive than the fighter itself).

Besides that it's even fun now to just fly around without any goal :)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
Old 01-16-2015, 02:21 PM   #30
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

I was thinking... to make the xwing more controllable, perhaps it should autolevel over time? Like, once you let go of the controls it will just get to a 0 roll and 0 pitch, or maybe only roll?
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball