wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > -- Submit A Tutorial --
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-14-2010, 03:17 PM   #1
Hodge-Podge
User

Hodge-Podge has little to show at this moment (8)

Information Changing the font of in-game text

Hey guys

I thought I'd share this very rarely known information with you, because it has the capability of making your map look proffesional and quality.

Note: "I do know about the submitted thread with the same subject as this tutorial on the Hiveworkshop."

Note: "Remember that if you have any other .txt files imported, none of them, including this one will work, and may cause map crashes. So they must all be in one .txt file, and that .txt file must be imported as war3mapskin.txt"

1. To be able to do this, you will need to know the location of the directory that contains all the fonts.
If you don't know, the location is "C:\Windows\Fonts"

2. Now you need to import the font(s) that you want to use, into your map using the Import Manager. Remember to remove the "war3imported" from the import path. You can then set the path to whatever you like, but the path MUST end with .ttf / .TTF

3. Now open Note-Pad, and type in or copy/paste the following:

Quote:
[CustomSkin]

ChatFont=your font here.ttf
EscMenuTextFont=your font here.ttf
TextTagFont=your font here.ttf
InfoPanelTextFont=your font here.ttf
MessageFont=your font here.ttf
MasterFont=your font here.ttf

The "your font here" must be EXACTLY the same as the path of the imported font file, or it will crash the map.

ChatFont = the player message font
EscMenuTextFont = the menu and dialog fonts
TextTagFont = "Allies, All players, Observers, etc" font
InfoPanelTextFont = Quests, Menu, Allies, Message log button's font
MessageFont = Game message font
MasterFont = The base font used in-game

4. Now import the .txt using the Import Manager. Set the import path of the .txt to war3mapskin.txt, and remember to remove the war3imported from the import path.

Note: "I have hear rumours of games crashing because of this. In my opinion, this is because the game isn't using English as it's selected language option. I currently do not know how to fix this without changing the language options, or creating an entierly new map that uses other languages as it's selected language option."

5. Enjoyment shared by all!

Thanx for reading
If you ever have any questions, don't be afraid to ask

CBX Entertainment showed me how to do this, so it is right and fair that I give them credit.

Last edited by Hodge-Podge : 02-22-2010 at 02:27 PM.
Hodge-Podge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)

Interesting. Very interesting.
Maybe the other maps crashed because they didnt have the required fonts?

Goths are nerds that dress like vampires. -Dominant-Male
Oh, and wc3c wasn't dying back in 2007 and it isn't now. Our secret is simple: you can't kill the undead ... - Vexorian

We're definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It's not PillowfightCraft. - Chris Metzen on the Warcraft Movie
Man, we're considered elitist all over the internet. This makes me feel nice and warm inside. - ghenjis
Please help! I'll provide no information, you must guess! - Whitehorn
The Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
Michael Peppers
Lepus?

Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)

Some corrections:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge-Podge
1. To be able to do this, you will need to know the location of the file that contains all the fonts.
If you don't know, the location is "C:\Windows\Fonts"
Directory, not file

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodge-Podge
2. Now you need to import the font(s) that you want to use, into your map using the Import Manager. Remember to remove the "war3imported" from the import path. You can then set the path to whatever you like, but the path MUST end with .ttf / .TTF
file, "the file must have the .ttf/.TTF extension in order to work."

Overall, this method is rather buggy... and yeah, I'm not much for doing such small changes that may screw up the map.
Don't take it personally, I know that it's Blizzard's fault. =D

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Elite
Maybe the other maps crashed because they didnt have the required fonts?
How so? The fonts are imported in the map, that's not possible.

EDIT: Oh, wait, you mean that people could have created the .txt, then imported it and then forgot importing the .ttf files?
That's possible, but I generally assume most mappers are not that dumb. (or careless)

Last edited by Michael Peppers : 02-19-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Michael Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote