wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Starcraft 2 Modding
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-04-2010, 08:24 AM   #1
Anachron
User

Anachron will become famous soon enough (51)Anachron will become famous soon enough (51)

Default Starcraft II - Galaxy Talk

Hey guys.

Well, I've just read that the "Galaxy" Editor won't have OOP at all.
So I think it might not be a bad idea to talk about "vGalaxy", if thats supposed to happen.

The original source: Here.

Quote:
The editor features a proprietary scripting language called Galaxy[22] based on C, but users will also have access to the more user friendly Trigger Editor which will allow beginner and intermediate map designers to make advanced maps without having to learn the scripting language.[4][14]

Galaxy will not be object-oriented, but most of the functionality is based on modifying game objects.[22]

Triggers will be able to "communicate" with each other. The editor supports custom function definitions; for instance, a map maker can create their own actions built up from actions (or custom script code) and use them in triggers.[22]

Galaxy features a "garbage collection" system which will prevent memory leaks.

This means:
No more longer leaks, but definitely no OOP.
Blizzard really missed the point with OOP again.

I wonder if they will ever make a wise decision.

By the way, here are some of the biggest features:
Quote:
Map "locking" will be enabled, which ensures that no one will lose credit for creating a map.
Quote:
Water (and lava) levels are adjustable.
Quote:
Heroes can carry items in StarCraft II UMS maps through the use of a toggle,[6] and can carry more items than heroes in World of Warcraft.
Quote:
Blizzard will try to ensure that heroes and units can also gain experience in Galaxy,[9] although this ability will likely not be available in the campaign or standard multiplayer games.[6] This will enable map styles such as Defense of the Ancients to be reproduced in StarCraft II.
Quote:
Map makers can define any number of custom attributes for a hero, based on their level.[22] However, the UI can only display three attributes.
Quote:
Information can be stored in "banks", such as characters, which can be moved from map to maps and games
Quote:
The AI will be script-driven and completely exposed. It will attempt to analyze data and see what the player is doing without "cheating", instead scouting.
Quote:
There will be support for one more resource.
Quote:
Upgrades can be extended arbitrarily, and can be modified using triggers.

Last edited by Anachron : 02-04-2010 at 08:39 AM.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-04-2010, 12:53 PM   #2
Tot

Tot will become famous soon enough (53)Tot will become famous soon enough (53)

give everyone in this site 1 month and we'll have a better we for wc3 and must not wait an additional year...
  • hunting emos
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #3
holyadvocate
User

holyadvocate is on a distinguished road (19)

They are clearly trying to eclipse Wc3 (replacing wc3 with WoW, subtle, but not really)

Bastards
Old 02-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
Anachron
User

Anachron will become famous soon enough (51)Anachron will become famous soon enough (51)

Hmm, I wish they could atleast added OOP to GALAXY ):
Old 02-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Vestras
User

Project Member: LoC

Submissions (4)

Vestras will become famous soon enough (40)Vestras will become famous soon enough (40)

Didn't we know this already when they said it was based on C? After all C is not OOP.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:03 PM   #6
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
Map makers can define any number of custom attributes for a hero, based on their level.[22] However, the UI can only display three attributes.
Sad, so much for building our own UI.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Anachron
User

Yes. UI can be modified, however, its not supported.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:04 PM   #8
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vestras
Didn't we know this already when they said it was based on C? After all C is not OOP.

I think based on C popularly means that it has C-like syntax, not necesarily the feature set. I doubt we would have to go memalloc() all the way :P

It is indeed dissapointing that we won't have OOP, but I can see why they wouldn't go trhough the pains to implement a proper functioning OOp language (oop programmers would never be happy - "no singletons? no proper inheritance with fully ffeature access modifiers? no interfaces? no generics? no exception handling? this laguanges suxxx!!!"). They should have gone JS with V8 as the engine tho :P (yeah, I know V8 wasn't out when Galaxy was probably already desgined)

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.

Last edited by Alevice : 02-04-2010 at 05:11 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #9
Belphegor666
User

Submissions (1)

Belphegor666 is on a distinguished road (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
Sad, so much for building our own UI.
Why would you need more than three attributes/bars?

From what I gathered from demos, you're able to modify almost any other UI property. You'll probably have to redefine a bunch of scripts for that but hell at least you'll be able to hide/move any other component (like minimap). Only problem is if the click detection is as laggy as wc3's.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #10
TriggerHappy

Submissions (2)

TriggerHappy will become famous soon enough (43)TriggerHappy will become famous soon enough (43)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belphegor666

Are you joking?
Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #11
Belphegor666
User

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriggerHappy
Are you joking?
Are you joking, every bar after 3rd just adds more and more clusterfuck. Reminds me of this monstrosity - Infinity-blade razor

Attributes are a bit different and I could see couple of more attributes per hero displayed. Still brevity is the soul of wit, meaning simpler way is usually the better way.

Last edited by Belphegor666 : 02-04-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:22 AM   #12
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

Quote:
Heroes can carry items in StarCraft II UMS maps through the use of a toggle,[6] and can carry more items than heroes in World of Warcraft.
!?!?!?

Unless they actually mean Warcraft III, as holyadvocate said.
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D
Old 02-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #13
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deschain
For the same reason you need more control in any modding engine: So that you can do more. Who says those 3 attributes or bars need to be for stats? Could I not use it to chronicle a player's kills/etc in a given survival match with them? Could I use 3 for attributes and 3 for those kills/etc? That's the kind of control I was hoping for. Clearly Blizzard isn't too keen on it, though.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:15 AM   #14
Anachron
User

My idea would've been to create a hovering menu for attributes, so a new menu pops up, kinda like TXC. However, we know that blizzard again made a bad job. Poor blizzard.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #15
Belphegor666
User

Submissions (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
For the same reason you need more control in any modding engine: So that you can do more. Who says those 3 attributes or bars need to be for stats? Could I not use it to chronicle a player's kills/etc in a given survival match with them? Could I use 3 for attributes and 3 for those kills/etc? That's the kind of control I was hoping for. Clearly Blizzard isn't too keen on it, though.
Yeah, but usually 3 bars is more than enough (hp, energy, something else). Granted, it would be awesome to be able to extend engine in ever way imaginable but it would be too much to ask (can you imagine when would Sc2 be released?). I would argue that trademark of good design is simplicity and that map-maker ingenuity comes from bypassing those limitations in smart and totally unexpected ways but frankly much of this talk is just empty babble about a game that hasn't been released. Let's wait until the game is out, mkay.

BTW What does the bolded part mean?

Quote:
However, we know that blizzard again made a bad job. Poor blizzard.
? Is there something I missed. What makes you think it won't do that.

Last edited by Belphegor666 : 02-05-2010 at 09:45 AM.