wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Town Hall > WC3C Polls
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Contests as they are or weekly/biweekly sessions?
Contests - I want my award icons! 16 61.54%
Sessions - I like to work at my leisure! 10 38.46%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk
Default Contests or Sessions?

So the topic says it all, I want to pose the following discussion question:
  • Should we eliminate large, overwrought, and localized contests entirely and focus more on a weekly session method with no rewards at all?
Before you say "No! We need more hero contests!" consider that this question does not apply to them. Such large contests as hero contests or anything else we come up with in the future will still exist, particularly because I think making them epic and superhyped is awesome and I wouldn't give that up for the world.

This more would apply to such things as texturing and spellmaking. Rather than the old-fashioned style contests where we give you a theme, a deadline, and a bunch of stuff, we just have a weekly theme that someone may make a texture/spell in accordance with and people can 'ooh' or 'aah' over on their own time. No rewards except the rep given by other users.

What do you think about that? I think it would be a step in the right direction, but would really only be able to be figured out for sure based on potential activity. I'm not extremely worried about the spell side, since there are a lot of spellmakers around, but I am more concerned with it being applied to textures and artistic endeavors. Also, if we do go for this way, I think biweekly would be a good way to go since it's a lot more work to make a decent spell/texture than it is to make a decent terrain. (Don't kill me here, terrainers, I know it's still a lot of work what you do!)

Thoughts?
Old 06-10-2008, 06:05 AM   #2
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)

i reckon that there should be both. Small sessions so people can casually spellmake, texture, whatever and then occasionally large competitons so that people can get rewards, because people like rewards

Goths are nerds that dress like vampires. -Dominant-Male
Oh, and wc3c wasn't dying back in 2007 and it isn't now. Our secret is simple: you can't kill the undead ... - Vexorian

We're definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It's not PillowfightCraft. - Chris Metzen on the Warcraft Movie
Man, we're considered elitist all over the internet. This makes me feel nice and warm inside. - ghenjis
Please help! I'll provide no information, you must guess! - Whitehorn
Old 06-10-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

I was going to point-blank say contests are always better, but then I realised that the weekly terraining sessions seem to work really well.

I find it hard to get motivated to do anything that's not linked to my current project(s), so I personally prefer contests; a bit of deadline and a few constraints sometimes make it easier to actually do something.

I suppose a mixture of both, depending on what areas. Like you say, spells and shit take a lot longer than terrains -- while on one hand you spend an afternoon or two arranging a pretty picture, on the other you have to spend a lot of time debugging and testing before you can release. So while the "session" idea works for terrain, it probably wouldn't for spellmaking. Not that I know a thing about spellmaking, that is; this is all based on rumours and conjecture.

Last edited by Rao Dao Zao : 06-10-2008 at 09:51 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:14 AM   #4
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

I think contests are simply the way to go.

Hero contests shouldn't be to frequent, perhaps a spell/texture contest inbetween each one.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:31 AM   #5
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

I'm all for the idea of a Weekly Texturing session, or even a 2-week event. Frankly, i reckon it'd get more activity.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:42 AM   #6
TotallyAwesome
User

Project Member: TBR

Submissions (7)

TotallyAwesome is a jewel in the rough (164)TotallyAwesome is a jewel in the rough (164)

Send a message via ICQ to TotallyAwesome Send a message via AIM to TotallyAwesome Send a message via MSN to TotallyAwesome Send a message via Yahoo to TotallyAwesome

I'd go for it. Sometimes I can make and finalize model in a day, so I guess it is also doable in two weeks. One week would be a tad cruel though, because people have school/work and so on, so they would miss the session. I think you should experiment with sessions, see how they turn out, if first few sessions fail (outrageously small number of submissons, or none) then just stick back to contests. Also, if there was to be a mapmaking contest, I think it would be ridiculos to make it last two weeks or a week. So mapmaking and hero contests should be left as contests. Modeling, texturing, concept art, can last two weeks without anyone getting angry, I think.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:46 AM   #7
Alexander244
Now Kharyb

Submissions (1)

Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)

There are definitely aspects of both that are good, but they cater to very different people.

I might do the odd bi-weekly spell session if the theme inspired me and I had some free time, but I wouldn’t have the time or motivation to do it regularly. On the other hand, there are probably plenty of people who would enjoy making a quick spell once a fortnight.
One of the big attractions of spell sessions is seeing some very high quality work, which in its very nature takes a lot of time. While some decent spells would still be made in bi-weekly sessions, I don’t think the same level as a spell session could be regularly reached. Without that impressiveness people may quickly become disinterested.

Personally I would go for increasing the frequency of the current spell sessions to maybe once every 2-3 months, but otherwise leaving them as they are. Maybe open a theme-suggestion/discussion thread, as lack of interesting themes seems to have been an issue in the past.

Edit: Wildly Off-topic:
Shouldn't the Mapping Contest be in the Contest Backlog?

Last edited by Alexander244 : 06-10-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
darkwulfv
Alpha Male of Wc3c

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (6)

darkwulfv is just really nice (270)darkwulfv is just really nice (270)

Send a message via AIM to darkwulfv

I like both, personally. Huge, overhyped outrageous contests with lots of asskicking are awesome, and casual bi-weekly contests in various areas allow people to "ooh" and "ahh", while also giving people ideas and sharpening others' skills for the upcoming contests.

So, I think what we could do is have a major contest planned, then a bunch of mini contests to sharpen skills. Kind of like in school, where there's a major test for a class but you get minor tests and quizzes throughout the year to hone the skills of said class. Plus, all the contests would exponentially increase quality resources in the database.

I know that with summer right around the corner I'd definitely try to participate more. And I would love to learn how to do some hotshot spell making.

So, here's an example:

20 weeks from now: Major Hero contest. Spells and Skinners
Weeks 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. Spell Contest
Weeks 1, 3, 5, 7, etc. Skin Contest

Or something to that effect. You get the idea, I'm sure.

EDIT: 10 contests is a lot. I would actually make it once a month or so. 3-4 weeks between contests would probably be good.
a dota like map but with unique stuff
(There was no map attached, and that was all the thread said.)
Spells I've Made

Darkwulfv's Lightning Grapple || Tritanis' Lazy Bolt

Last edited by darkwulfv : 06-10-2008 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:57 PM   #9
Toadcop
BuranX

Submissions (4)

Toadcop is just really nice (299)Toadcop is just really nice (299)

Approved Map: TcXSpell Making Session 10 Winner

Send a message via ICQ to Toadcop

contest 4 times in year (every season 1 contest) so from the middle of the season to the ~end.

and the rest time do what you want xD (i mean maybe some sessions etc.)

// 3 months between is a realistic good time.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:25 PM   #10
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

This really isn't a topic to discuss the rarity of contests, since I'm pretty realistic in that regard. I'm more interested in what you all think about contests against sessions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander244
Shouldn't the Mapping Contest be in the Contest Backlog?
Just added it, I must've forgotten about it when generating that topic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicRoyalty
I'm all for the idea of a Weekly Texturing session, or even a 2-week event. Frankly, i reckon it'd get more activity.
I knew you'd be interested, which was in particular why I extended this to texturing and not just spells. :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Awesome
So mapmaking and hero contests should be left as contests.
Of course, I even mentioned in the first post that large, site-wide contests would not be affected by this at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander244
There are definitely aspects of both that are good, but they cater to very different people.
The truth, though, is that they last mostly the same amount of time. The last spellmaking session was a 2-week contest and resulted in some dozen plus entries, which is pretty awesome. If we did it biweekly, which I think would be the best for things like textures/spells, they would last the same amount of time. The advantage to this, though, is that we can cycle through themes pretty frequently, thus people can participate in whichever ones they want. This also avoids eventual problems with people having too many award icons and so forth.

This really is also my attempt to try to hijack the art side of the site to have more things to do. Before the last hero contest, God knows there wasn't anything for artists to do site-sponsored for like half a year. I'd like to fix that and try to get some things going.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far everyone.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:06 PM   #11
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

It's quite a ridiculous question.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Old 06-15-2008, 01:03 AM   #12
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

So it seems a lot of people much prefer actual contests to the weekly idea. Now the question is, if I started other contests, would people actually enter? For instance, if I forced Erwt to start a texturing or some kind of art competition, how many entrants could we expect?

I'll make it happen if enough people convince me they'll take part in it. Hell, I'll make the reward icons myself, I've been doing it for all of the recent contests anyways.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:21 AM   #13
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)

i just dont see why there cant be both?

Goths are nerds that dress like vampires. -Dominant-Male
Oh, and wc3c wasn't dying back in 2007 and it isn't now. Our secret is simple: you can't kill the undead ... - Vexorian

We're definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It's not PillowfightCraft. - Chris Metzen on the Warcraft Movie
Man, we're considered elitist all over the internet. This makes me feel nice and warm inside. - ghenjis
Please help! I'll provide no information, you must guess! - Whitehorn
Old 06-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #14
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

That's a possibility too, though I'd likely run out of themes or something stupid like that. I guess that should have probably been an option in the poll or something, woops.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:12 AM   #15
JetFangInferno
I Break Chopsticks

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (71)

JetFangInferno is a glorious beacon of light (473)JetFangInferno is a glorious beacon of light (473)JetFangInferno is a glorious beacon of light (473)JetFangInferno is a glorious beacon of light (473)

I actually like both; newcomers can perhaps work on sessions and work their way up to the higher level and more rewarding contests.

Last edited by JetFangInferno : 06-15-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Closed Thread