wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Concept Art / Fan Art
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-15-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
rednek
",:..:,"

Submissions (11)

rednek will become famous soon enough (61)rednek will become famous soon enough (61)rednek will become famous soon enough (61)

Default Landscapes

These are pretty poor, I thought I'd share anyway
Should I resize them?

Speed Painting

Not quite a landscapes now, whatever

(lol, a hole in there, damn I fail :C )
rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
Ikum-bokum
User

Submissions (4)

Ikum-bokum will become famous soon enough (60)Ikum-bokum will become famous soon enough (60)Ikum-bokum will become famous soon enough (60)

Pretty cute. No need to resize them too. The size is fine.
Ikum-bokum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #3
Noobo
User

Noobo has little to show at this moment (0)

NIce style, i really like the fairy-tale style

You may need to darken your palate for the 3rd and 4th work since its quite vague from afar
Noobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

I like them. A good tip would be to open another window of you're painting while you are working on it ( window -> arrange -> new window for... ) that way you can keep track of the overall composition while not having to zoom in and out all the time.

I especially love the saturated colors, but the are a bit flat and the details blur a little. Try to bring in a wider array of colors into your shading especially, it'll really make the picture pop. I sometimes do this by just throwing on some hue adjustment layers and masking them away.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
rednek
",:..:,"

Submissions (11)

rednek will become famous soon enough (61)rednek will become famous soon enough (61)rednek will become famous soon enough (61)

Thank you all for your kind comments.
Erwt, that thing with two windows sounds like a good idea, my monitor is quite widescreen, I'll try to do this next time.
I'll keep the thing with colors in mind, thank you for the tips, they're really appreciated.

(lol, a hole in there, damn I fail :C )
rednek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Make sure the second window is really zoomed out so you can only make out the big outlines, getting this right is the most important thing and makes doing the composition a lot easyer. When i have to do an environment i usually start with a canvas about 200 pix or something like that, get a composition right in black & white, then double the canvas and add color. I iterate this untill i reach the desired resolution and level of detail.

Also make sure to take liberties in what you detail and what not. Usually its best to leave a lot of things to the imagination and only detail parts that are important. I kid of did it in this picture, which is also quite comparable to the style you're using. As you can see the trees in the background and just outlines, and as they come closer detail is added. This is not because i'm lazy, it's because it directs the eye a lot better.

perhaps this would be an interesting read as well, it's a study on how to use color in compositions for games to clarify images, using examples from an hypothetical game.
Old 07-31-2009, 04:10 AM   #7
Candy_Warlock
Hottie

Submissions (3)

Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)Candy_Warlock is a jewel in the rough (215)

Concept art session 2 - Battledroids

Erwt didn't mention this but I find this quite useful: flipping your canvas occasionally.
I find it most useful when painting characters but this trick applies to "landscapes" aswell. Gives a VERY fresh perspective on what you've been working on. Flaws pop out instantly (in a good way).

Keep up the great job! :D

---
And that was a very interesting read erwt. I saw those pics on your blog and was glad to know your process - very concept-artist-like! :)
Old 08-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #8
~Void~
Inactive as fuck

Submissions (39)

~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)

The first one's alright. Try adding some (more) mist.