wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Town Hall > WC3C News
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2003, 09:30 AM   #46
SyDemon
User

SyDemon has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally posted by ThePredator
notice how they picked a map of the korean flag. very american.... you arent paying very much attention. not all the maps are korean flags

emote_sweat I'm confused? What do you mean?

Seriously, I don't think there's anything to argue about. I'm sure Blizzard has their reasons for doing what they did. We've better not jump to conclusions and start pointing accusing fingers.

Whether one likes one of those winning maps or not, we all have our rights for our own preferences.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-26-2003, 11:45 AM   #47
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

First of all I am not "American", I am not Canadian and I am not Korean, but that Korean Map just look fun to play, Korea's flag is one of the best flags - Not just three colors -

Also Blizzard didn't make the contest internationall because it is very easy to send prices to people in the US but it is more difficult to send prices worldwide, also legal stuff is involved.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Old 05-26-2003, 06:37 PM   #48
KDEWolf
User

Respected User

KDEWolf is on a distinguished road (20)

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vexorian
First of all I am not "American", I am not Canadian and I am not Korean, but that Korean Map just look fun to play, Korea's flag is one of the best flags - Not just three colors -

Also Blizzard didn't make the contest internationall because it is very easy to send prices to people in the US but it is more difficult to send prices worldwide, also legal stuff is involved.

Humm are they going to give any prizes to anyone?
And be serious.. that Korea map is just because koreans are 50%+ of their income on diablo, starcraft, warcraft 3... don't be so innocent... Other countries' flags are not 3 colors only and aren't there. I found thia very gay attitude by their part. If they're going to release a flag map at least do it for many countries.
Old 05-27-2003, 08:38 AM   #49
Bloodoll
User

Bloodoll has little to show at this moment (0)

well, this has been a whole load of bullshit, IMO, and my opnions are rather strong, dont confuze that with closed minded

How good any map is, is inevitably an opinion, unless it has blaring technical errors, and none of those maps had any I could see. Im no VET, I dont know what amkes a 'good' map, and what makes a 'bad' map, but I do know that any accusation of "they chose it because its korean" is an opninion, and a naive one IMO, though I have yet to play it, so I really shouldnt be talking

To silent K
when people say "Americans are blahblahblah" they either mean the majority of people, its political leaders, or the countries political opnion. and there is no denying that america is a disgustingly nationalistic country.
not everyone thinks this way, such as me, typing this review in my hometown of portland, but the countries political leaders feel it there right to tell everyone what to do, and have near total disregard for many other places existance under their patriotic shroud.

Blizzards choice to block all maps made outside the US is a questionable one, seeing as on the internet, you can simply diregard where the person lives and carry out the contest with little to no legal flak...the rules on contests are very lax, especially when theres no tangible prize (correct me if there is one)
perhaps they did it as a nationalistic move, perhaps as a legal one, or perhaps to avoid complications and water down the overwhelming number of entries they received. who the hell knows

and in the end, it hardly matters. just everyone, please shut up about country A inventing the internet and country B inventing cheese graters...thats nomark of supriority, and the country didnt invent it...a citizen of the country did, and says who he/she was a patriot of their country?

just, whatever...its time for a reality check people
Old 05-27-2003, 11:37 AM   #50
kharma
User

Respected User

kharma will become famous soon enough (26)

First of all, yes there was a prize given. It included but was not limited to a signed copy of the Frozen Throne.

Secondly I'd like to thank Mr.Bloodoll for putting things straight, it stopped me from having to do it for once. The fact of the matter is that it's a competition and it's over. The patriotic diatribe erupting from this originally harmless thread is rather absurd, no matter what the issue. There's no right or wrong answer to this. There's no substance to it either.

This post went from congratulating the various winners and discussing the pros and cons of each map to a cry for help in every direction that somehow it's nationalistic pride that prevents poor African children from having toothbrushes, when they don't even have enough food to live off ( And for all you smart-asses out there, I'm well aware of the point that was being made, I'm merely using it as a tool to expose the the folly of this debate). In any case, I find it highly offensive for people to blare out some shoddy statistics to base the fact the map that was designed in the shape of Korea won. You people are bordering on racism here, and that's something that will not be tolerated at WC3Campaigns.

~kharma
Old 05-27-2003, 11:37 AM   #51
DaemonKillar
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

DaemonKillar has a spectacular aura about (77)DaemonKillar has a spectacular aura about (77)DaemonKillar has a spectacular aura about (77)

No there was a prize in fact.

But what I am wondering is that they opened The War3 (normal) BETA to Canada, why not open the contest too?
Old 05-27-2003, 11:53 AM   #52
Quilamar Frost
User

Quilamar Frost has little to show at this moment (0)

damn canadians.. lol
Old 05-27-2003, 07:31 PM   #53
layzie86988
User

layzie86988 has little to show at this moment (0)

Can't we all just get along?...
Old 05-28-2003, 06:37 AM   #54
Lightning

If this map contest was only open to Americans.. why did an American make a map of the korean flag?

Old 05-28-2003, 08:15 AM   #55
LotR_Rohan
User

LotR_Rohan has little to show at this moment (0)

A korean guy who lives in america?
Old 05-28-2003, 12:17 PM   #56
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
Originally posted by KDEWolf
Humm are they going to give any prizes to anyone?
And be serious.. that Korea map is just because koreans are 50%+ of their income on diablo, starcraft, warcraft 3... don't be so innocent... Other countries' flags are not 3 colors only and aren't there. I found thia very gay attitude by their part. If they're going to release a flag map at least do it for many countries.

As FAr as I know they are going to give the winners

Quote from http://www.battle.net/war3/maps/mapcontest-intro.shtml :

"One or more contestants will be awarded the grand prize that includes: one signed copy of Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, their name added to the Blizzard's Friends List, inclusion in the Hall of Heroes, and most prominently, the in-game Credits will list the names of the winners to recognize them for all their hard work and dedication. "

Also I just found that the korean map was avaialable for a long time even before the TFT beta , I found it on Warcraft.org

If you want maps with the flags of another countries first look if somebody did them. Sorry but the only map that looks like a flag is actually Korea. (As far as I know)

And another thing - If somebody creates a map with my country's flag I won't play it just because of that, in fact that will make me fell weird.

PS: Try to put trees gold mines and doodads to a Canadian Flag.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Closed Thread