wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Testing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #16
Michael Peppers
Lepus?

Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)

Results from testing: (I haven't done any real balance test/playthrough)
  • Ranged upgrades in the Mill-like structure is classy, gives a nice Wc2-style touch.
    unfortunately this way the Forge loses much of its appeal. (has only 2 upgrades)

• Nitpick: 11 units, normal races all have 12 units, unimportant though.

• Spellcasters have direct damage spells, this is balance-killing at its top.
    Also, all of the Arcanist's spells are as powerful as Hero spells, very very IMBA.

• Archer's model is horrible incarnate in a monobrow-y portrait. (you could use this or, as an alternative,
    the classic Wc3 HE female Archer model + icon (looks good for the role, saves map space))
    The Ranger upgrade isn't that useful... I think you could even remove it if you find no couple of models that fit together.
    (Or do it without model changes, maybe you could simply attach a hood to the upgraded model)

• The shop is a copycat of the human one. It's not important and you can live with it, but I suggest swapping
    some items with others from other races or creep-only items. (ie: a mana scroll or a protection scroll)

• Water Lieutenant... that model is crap, and even if it was good, it's low-poly base is reason enough not to use it for a Hero unit.
    Also, if you are using it anyway, you should at least increase its animation speed a bit.
    (it's somewhere in the Unit Editor, I don't remember that field's name, though)
    How come you used that model for a hero and not this?

• War Priest... oh, puhleez... even the vanilla SpellBreaker is way a better model for that concept than that...
    at least, its jaw moves in the portrait! (Also, it has Defend animations) This would be better: It's a skin.

• Manticore lacks a portrait. A lot of other portraits are underwhelming too.

• Some icons need to be adapted. Use Button Manager for that.

• No real new spells, but they've been adapted quite well.
I've got to admit that I expected worse.

Last edited by Michael Peppers : 07-15-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Michael Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
WarcraftPlayer101
User

WarcraftPlayer101 has little to show at this moment (0)

Send a message via MSN to WarcraftPlayer101

And I expected a worse review! XD Just kidding.

Thanks for pointing it all out. I know a few small-stuff are annoying, but hey, you can live with it, right?

And I shall make the changes on the Spellcasters, the Shop, and some of the models.
WarcraftPlayer101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 PM   #18
Michael Peppers
Lepus?

Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarcraftPlayer101
And I expected a worse review! XD Just kidding.

Thanks for pointing it all out. I know a few small-stuff are annoying, but hey, you can live with it, right?
Yeah. For starters, it's really good, and it's a solid base to work on. Making a custom race is a hard and long work, and it took me months (more precisely 2 months and 1 week) of work to go from pretty much what you have to my first Blood Elves official beta, and a lot more time from when I started to what you have. The same (or much more time spent) probably applies to every custom race map, just ask moyack or Kyrbi0 and cosmicat if you want.
So, yes, it's good, but if I were you I'd not consider the race completed, you could make it way better with some more work on it, starting from the visuals. Look at what you've done as a milestone (and an important one), not as the goal.

EDIT: sorry for spamming the word "work" so much. =P

Last edited by Michael Peppers : 07-15-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Michael Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #19
WarcraftPlayer101
User

Alright here's a few updates on what Michael Peppers pointed out;
[*]Changed the skins, and models to the ones suggested, and removed the Ranger Unit and Upgrade.
[*]Changed a few abilities for the Arcanist and Cleric. They now have Astral Shield(Anti-Magic Shell) and Holy Snare(Aerial Shackles, but also targets ground units) instead, though I kept the Arcanist's Arcane Explosion ability out of strategic usage, such as if the enemy's melee units close in on your spellcasters, you can just activate that and send your Spellcasters to a safe distance. =P
[*]Fixed some of the icons as well.
[*]Changed some Items in the Shop, and replaced the Tier 1 Items with Scroll of Mana, Wand of Mana Stealing, and Staff of Negation.
[*]Added some more upgrades to the Forge, which are Adamant Shield(Changes the Defender's Armor class from Medium(had to change that too so I could make the upgrade) to Large), and Arcane Shield(Spiked Barricades).

Some new ideas;
[*]Instead of using a Ranger upgrade, maybe I could use an upgrade for the Defender? Maybe make them able to 'graduate' to Lieutenants, with the Fortrify ability + something more?
[*]Mana Generator for the High Elves? Sort of like a Moon Pool, but only regenerates Mana?

Last edited by WarcraftPlayer101 : 07-16-2011 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #20
WarcraftPlayer101
User

Sorry for double-posting, but now, I introduce to you, once again, yet another updated version of my map; http://www.megaupload.com/?d=YNSO0YC2

With the fixed problems I mentioned earlier(Though I deemed Adamant Shield to be useless, and I removed it), AND, for the first time...

The TROLLS are now officially ready for Beta Testing! First come, first serve! =P

EDIT: Sorry if you've noticed the URL change a lot, but I've made a few fuck-ups that I hopefully hope are all fixed now. If a problem occurs, please report to me.

Last edited by WarcraftPlayer101 : 07-19-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 09:21 AM   #21
WarcraftPlayer101
User

Can someone please tell me what they think of this?
Old 09-01-2011, 08:04 PM
WarcraftPlayer101
This message has been deleted by WarcraftPlayer101.