wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Trigger (GUI)/ AI editor Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-06-2004, 12:57 AM   #1
1)ragonspawn
User

Submissions (1)

1)ragonspawn has little to show at this moment (0)

Send a message via AIM to 1)ragonspawn Send a message via MSN to 1)ragonspawn

To Start Things Off...
What exactly is a "trigger enhanced ability"?
A trigger enhanced ability is an ability with no limits, a totally original ability (usually) that can do anything. There are many, many ways to do triggered abilities, and most usually start with a dummy ability.

Ok Cool, so What Exactly is a Dummy Ability?
A dummy ability is an ability the basically does nothing. For example, if I wanted a good old area of effect Polymorph I would make an ability based on Inferno, because it has an area of effect target art thing. Then, I would clear off all the fields so the ability doesn't do anything except waste mana and cooldown. The next part, creating the trigger, is where all the magic happens.
Some good bases for dummy abilities are: Inferno - AoE ability, Thunder Clap/War Stomp - Instant ability, Shadow Strike - Single Target ability (this one is really sweet because it can create a buff, so you can detect when the missile hits its mark, explained later.

Get to the Good Part Already!
Alright, here's a Basic Ability
So you're reading this tutorial with your WE open and an Inferno ability renamed AoE Polymorph, and all the data fields are cleared. Right? Now you want to create a dummy caster. Good idea to base it on a Wisp (no shadow) and give it the amazing Locust ability. What this ability does is it makes the wielder invulnerable and unselectable. Then we just give our star the model file Destructibles - Elevator Wall and voila! It seems like the unit isn't even there. Can't select it, can't hurt it, can't see it.

Next, we're gonna need a Unit Polymorph ability. Without it this will be quite the lame ability. Just create a custom Polymorph with !@#$%^&* cast range and no mana cost/cooldown. Then we wanna add that to our dummy caster's arsenal. Also, don't forget to set the duration to whatever you want.

Now the Trigger :o
Ok, this is where everyone gets scared. We're actually going to open the Trigger Editor... and use it! First step is to make a trigger. Call it Mass Polymorph or Polymorph, unless you're less organized, in which case just smash your head on the keyboard.

Now for the Event. Use the Event 'A Unit Starts the Effect of an Ability'. We don't use 'A Unit Begins Casting an Ability' because that fires right when the caster is ordered to do something. The one we use fires when the caster actually start the ability.

Condition time! Use an Ability Comparison that checks if the ability being cast is our dummy ability.

Finally, the Actions. This where I lose most of my audience :( Your first action should look something like this:

Code:
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 250.00 [color=Yellow]"the 250 comes from the AoE of the dummy, which in mine is 250"[/color] of (Target point of ability being cast) matching (((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Casting unit))) Equal to True)) and do (Actions)
    Loop - Actions

Now your actions are gonna seem kinda confusing/messy, but the next part is:

Code:
Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units within 250.00 of (Target point of ability being cast) matching ((((Matching unit) belongs to an enemy of (Owner of (Casting unit))) Equal to True) and (((Matching unit) is alive) Equal to True))) and do (Actions)
    Loop - Actions
        Unit - Create 1 Dummy Caster for (Owner of (Casting unit)) at (Position of (Picked unit)) facing (Position of (Picked unit))
        Unit - Add a 2.00 second Generic expiration timer to (Last created unit)
        Unit - Order (Last created unit) to Human Sorceress - Polymorph (Picked unit)

Basically, all of that just creates a Dummy Caster at the position of each unit caught in the AoE and orders the Dummy Unit to Polymorph a unit. Since it is a Pick Every Unit in Group Action, Picked Unit refers to each unit like they together are one. Therefore, when we tell it to create a Dummy Caster at the position of the Picked Unit, it makes one at every unit in the AoE, then Polymorphs each unit.

Well, there's your first triggered ability! You can make a lot of variations on it too, like an AoE Shadow Strike or Sleep or something. Also, if the Dummy Unit's ability has a missile (like Firebolt), try making it create the Dummy Unit at the position of the Caster instead of the picked unit, so it looks like the caster is sending a swarm of fire balls to roast his enemies. Also, I've attached the finished ability if you want to see everything up close (I recommend it). Well, I'm gonna take a break and go play some Skibi. I'll be back later with more on different types of abilities and using integers. Yeah. So go make a really cool ability now. Make people go "Wow!"

-1)ragonspawn
1)ragonspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #2
Xandramas
User

Xandramas is on a distinguished road (10)

Everytime I try to cast poly it crashes. I have your string exactly as it says
Xandramas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 02:20 PM   #3
Jacek
Banned

Submissions (1)

Jacek is a jewel in the rough (164)Jacek is a jewel in the rough (164)

Send a message via MSN to Jacek

Your triggers leak like shit... btw use [trigger] tags...
Jacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:38 AM   #4
SeasonsOfLove
A Nitpicky Map Reviewer

Official Map Reviewer

SeasonsOfLove will become famous soon enough (44)SeasonsOfLove will become famous soon enough (44)

[Quicksilver #2] - 2nd Place

Send a message via AIM to SeasonsOfLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacek
Your triggers leak like shit... btw use [trigger] tags...

Seriously, I'd READ the date on the thread. This is from: "04-05-2004, 08:57 PM"
Old 05-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #5
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonsOfLove
Seriously, I'd READ the date on the thread. This is from: "04-05-2004, 08:57 PM"

Lol. I would never use an AOE polymorph, because I just don't like spells with AOE disable. But otherwise, it seems alright...
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:07 AM   #7
Jazzyfromhell
User

Jazzyfromhell has little to show at this moment (0)

Have 2 Questions.

What about if I going to use some spell that is not in the list of " Unit - Issue Order targeting ... "

For Example an ILLusion create spell ( Item Illusion )

The next is How can I trigger an dummy to destroy its. If I order him to create an Illusion before that. Because " the last created unit " after the dummy create an Illusion is " The Illusion that was just created " not a dummy himself.

Last edited by Jazzyfromhell : 10-12-2006 at 06:11 AM.
Jazzyfromhell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:18 PM   #8
skatj
User

skatj has little to show at this moment (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzyfromhell
Have 2 Questions.

What about if I going to use some spell that is not in the list of " Unit - Issue Order targeting ... "

For Example an ILLusion create spell ( Item Illusion )

Try going in the object editor and looking for the orderid, then in the trigger editor use a custom string and enter it in for the spell. The orderid usually looks like 2 words, lower case, for example carrionswarm for the Carrion Swarm spell. The orderid will be whatever you based the original spell on, i'm not sure if this works since it is an item but it's worth trying.

Quote:
The next is How can I trigger an dummy to destroy its. If I order him to create an Illusion before that. Because " the last created unit " after the dummy create an Illusion is " The Illusion that was just created " not a dummy himself.

Right after you create it, do Unit - Add Expiration timer, set it to 5 seconds or something. (Do this before you cast the spell)
skatj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 06:29 AM   #9
Feroc1ty
User

Feroc1ty is on a distinguished road (14)

good tutorial but your example area plymorph has leak in it...
Feroc1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:16 PM   #10
MasterofSickness
User

MasterofSickness is on a distinguished road (23)

When I post into an old tutorial, then I don't do thread reviving or?
Well, anyhow here is a warning for this old tut!
Guided by this lesson I set all fields of Inferno to zero:
Quote:
Then, I would clear off all the fields so the ability doesn't do anything except waste mana and cooldown
What happened next was that the game froze.
Through setting up these fields (raw data names) to zero, you set the damage interval to 0.00, and that's quite a bit too fast:
"DataC1", "DataD1", "DataF1" and "HeroDur1".

Last edited by MasterofSickness : 01-28-2008 at 08:01 AM.
MasterofSickness is offline   Reply With Quote