wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Terrain
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-24-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
Pinzu
User

Pinzu is on a distinguished road (21)

Default "Lordaeron project" - strategy map

It has been a while since I posted anything here, but I never posted alot here anyway ;)

This is my latest project, its going to be some sort of spawn based map in Lordaeron, and I need suggestions for how to improve the terrain done so far, I'll upload some saved images maybe more later.
Hidden information:

Lordaeron:

Hidden information:

Inside Lordaeron Palace (from the cinimatic)

A graveyard in Andorhal
Hidden information:

Hidden information:

Frostwolf clan In Alterac mountains

Hidden information:

Stormpike in Alterac mountains

Hidden information:

Altar for summoning the Burning Legion (near Dalaran)

Hidden information:

Stranbrand

Hidden information:
Entrence to Dalaran

again: These was all I had saved on photobucket that looked decent, I'll update later.

Last edited by Pinzu : 07-24-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Pinzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-25-2009, 04:07 AM   #2
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

Well, the terrain strikes me as awfully empty and flat. Try to add more environmental doodads, and structure to the terrain.
Kwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:11 AM   #3
~Void~
Inactive as fuck

Submissions (39)

~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)

Very plain, almost no environment/atmosphere whatsoever, and a complete disregard of details. You're about 20% done. Just keep adding details, and try to make it look as realistic and detailed as possible without impeding the gameplay.
Old 07-25-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
Pinzu
User

ok, I'll try it, I got a question about filesize, when doing new doodads.

is it the amount of new doodads or the amount of custom data in the new doodad that increase loading time?
Old 07-31-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
~Void~
Inactive as fuck

Submissions (39)

~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)

It's the preplaced doodads.
Old 08-01-2009, 10:47 AM   #6
Pinzu
User

so, if you theoreticaly would replace every single doodad with a script that implents them after the game starts it would shorten the load time?

... and possibly cause a big spike when you implent all the thousands of doodads?
/ just curious ;)

When I get backhome within a week I'll update the pics, not that there was much fuzz about them but I like to reveal my work.

Last edited by Pinzu : 08-01-2009 at 10:48 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #7
NeLtar1on
User

NeLtar1on has little to show at this moment (0)

Screen by screen:
1.Lordaeron city appears to tiny for me, but all other seems ok to me
2. Just some room...
3. Arthas raised some bones from that graveyard in a first mission for undeads in blizz campaing. (Looks too simple, and too common)
4. There must be a road without snow leading to the entrance, and i believe some errm... wolves, since it is frostwolf clan
5. That big building looks odd, but for unknown reason this is best screen to me :)
6. Not altar at all
7. And one more shot from blizz campaign
8. Night Elven gates in human wizard's city...

3/5 good start, keep working, and use more import
Old 11-19-2009, 10:55 PM
Fluff
This message has been deleted by Fluff. Reason: double post
Old 11-19-2009, 10:58 PM   #8
Fluff
or your money back!

Submissions (1)

Fluff will become famous soon enough (64)Fluff will become famous soon enough (64)Fluff will become famous soon enough (64)

The terrain is about on par with some of the other Lordaeron based strategy maps. The genre has a hard time with terrain because the maps usually have a lot of units on them and they units need room to move around. Avrion did a very nice job when terraining Legends of the Second War, if you've ever played it, because the terrain looks nice, while not using that many doodads to keep the filesize and lag down a bit and he's working on doing the same for AW:LR.

Your city layout is pretty good, considering the genre. Work more on the empty spaces outside the city in the first screenshot and the area around the summoning circle. Try making small hills, and by small I mean low in elevation. Try the biggest or second biggest terrain brush and choose the "Raise ground" tool (or whatever it's called) and just try two clicks in some areas to give a bit more interest when you take the zoomed in shots.

I like the cannon mounted on Alterac there. That's pretty creative.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote