wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > General Mapping Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-15-2009, 05:13 AM   #16
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

akolyt0r has a spectacular aura about (120)

hmm you can add that this works well together with the autofill function ...
<A000,Dur1> -> <A000,Dur2> -> <A000,Dur3> ...
This is one main advantage of using datafields, because in normal cases you only have to write one tooltip (per ability) at all. When not using this you will have to write 1 tooltip, plus change the values in every other tooltip..

but you should care that the rawcode doesnt contain "1" or you have to correct the rawcodes
<A001,Dur1> -> <A002,Dur2> -> <A003,Dur3>
akolyt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-15-2009, 05:50 AM   #17
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Alright, I can probably throw that in.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:50 PM   #18
Flame_Phoenix
retired coder | real ilfe

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Send a message via MSN to Flame_Phoenix

This seems really interesting and useful. I have suggestions though:
1 - Ahhrgg remove the little letters or make them bigger! It's a pain to me (the reader) because I am actually interested in learning as much as possible from this tutorial and you just make my job harder.
2 - You definitely should add more images. Btw, I couldn't tell but, is the image attached to the post?
3 - You should really make an "example map" available for people to see it's use in action.

There are some things I didn0t understand like, can I use this dynamic thing and order it to look for the damage my JESP spells make, by pointing it out the function and the trigger?

So, what if this is a dummy ability and everything is coded? This will be useless right?

Keep on the good work dude!
3-Making a spell in vJass - Practice Session 1
Check out all my current spells at here
Finally, check my project:
Castle vs Castle Flame Edition
Flame_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:01 AM   #19
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Hm, thanks for the critique.
1. Well... I can make them all Size=2. But I did the tiny text to A: save space, and B: make it more streamlined. Small text is usually just an addendum or some little tidbit.
If it's really hard to read, try copy/pasting it to a simple Notepad for a second.

2. Thought about it, but there just isn't any other good place for that. I mean, it's all in the text; there's little that needs to be explained via pictures (and believe me, I'm a big "pictures = 1000 words" guy). :P

3. See above. It's a super-simple tutorial (which is what makes me surprised it hasn't even been looked at yet...) about a little-known phenomenon.

Don't worry, my other tutorials will definitely include test maps. :P

~~~

As to your JESP question... I honestly don't have experience with anything past GUI, so I don't know. However, my gut tells me "no". Mainly because, this whole "automatic/dynamic code" thing only has to do with the Object Editor. There's no way for it to function outside of the OE. So if you fully trigger everything, I don't think it will work.

However, somebody uber like Vex could probably correct me on that. Who knows?
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Old 01-16-2009, 01:05 AM   #20
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

The only data fields from spells you can access in JASS are the art and sound fields:
Collapse JASS:
native GetAbilityEffect             takes string abilityString, effecttype t, integer index returns string
native GetAbilityEffectById         takes integer abilityId, effecttype t, integer index returns string
native GetAbilitySound              takes string abilityString, soundtype t returns string
native GetAbilitySoundById          takes integer abilityId, soundtype t returns string
I see no reason for a testmap.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 11:59 AM   #21
markone
User

markone has little to show at this moment (3)

Send a message via MSN to markone

Good info there,
BUT
Dude remove that dynamic from here, cause there isnt anything dynamic. Dynamic mean that its does change in real time...

Better name is "How to make tooltips use data numbers from abilities instead of raw numbers"
Old 01-16-2009, 12:26 PM   #22
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

^There.
That's the exact name. Which is good.

However, it's too long. I specifically chose something that was succinct, and still gave the general idea of what it did.

--EDIT--
Also, I can't remove "Dynamic" from the thread title. :P

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 01-16-2009 at 12:28 PM.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:07 AM   #23
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

"Create Tooltips using Object Editor Fields"
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #24
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Alright, that works.

PitzerMike (or whoever... wait, you're a Mod!) can you change the thread title to Pyrogasm's above suggestion?
Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 PM   #25
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

I have changed the topic name and approved this. I think it's good enough as it is and covers a useful topic.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:50 PM   #26
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Woah, didn't see that 'till just now.

Thanks. :P
Old 03-25-2009, 11:29 AM   #27
holyadvocate
User

holyadvocate is on a distinguished road (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
Woah, didn't see that 'till just now.

Thanks. :P

With the current name. I thought this was about ALL the codes one can use in a tooltip, like |n, colour codes, etc;

You should see what you can find about all object editor codes and add them in
holyadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:24 PM   #28
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Yeah, but I don't know much about those. Just the bare minimum; I copy/paste the rest. :P
Old 06-05-2009, 01:10 AM   #29
SanKakU
User

SanKakU has a little shameless behaviour in the past (-2)

Send a message via AIM to SanKakU Send a message via MSN to SanKakU Send a message via Yahoo to SanKakU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Phoenix
So, what if this is a dummy ability and everything is coded? This will be useless right?

Keep on the good work dude!
i've been going over that in my mind a lot, and the only thing i can come up with is make another dummy ability, and adjust it when you adjust your code. basically you either edit the tooltip or the extra dummy ability. whichever is easier. if you had a lot of spells that had some of the same stats i guess you could use a lot of the same dummy abilities over and over again i guess...but that would probably be confusing lol.

at any rate...this tutorial was awesome and i'm glad you made it. i kinda had a feeling something like this was possible but i didn't know about it. this tutorial helps a lot!
SanKakU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:12 AM   #30
Anachron
User

Anachron will become famous soon enough (51)Anachron will become famous soon enough (51)

This doesn't help anyone with JASS spells, and I doubt its good for GUI spells either. I can only see use in standard spells here. Anyway, good work.
Anachron is offline   Reply With Quote