wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Skinning / Texturing > WIP Skins/Textures
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #1
famouspker49
Suck My Terrains!

Submissions (11)

famouspker49 will become famous soon enough (72)famouspker49 will become famous soon enough (72)famouspker49 will become famous soon enough (72)

Default Skin Help

Hello, I started skinning, and I came up with this, except for the red circled part, and I had it critqued already, and they said it was blurry and messy, so I tried by just redoeing the arm, is this better? If not, suggestions would be great.

I know the legs and weapon are horrid.

EDIT: Shit, I think I should've posted this in WIP threads. Sorry about that. Please don't burn me at the stake.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg HeroDemonHunter1.jpeg (68.9 KB, 63 views)

If you dare...
Laws do not impede FamousPker49 from having fun.

Last edited by famouspker49 : 07-01-2008 at 04:42 PM.
famouspker49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 PM   #2
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

No worries, thread moved.

some of the issues i see here are that it seems almost oversharpened, everything is somewhat pixelly, particularly the face.
The DH face wrap is terrible, there's no avoiding it. And giving it eyes is just asking for pain

You're getting the idea with the part of the arm you've redone. The whole texture needs more shadows and particularly some small, strong highlights in order to make it less 'flat'.
The metal areas need work, they look a bit messy and undefined. they need stronger highlights as well.
Lastly, I know you're making Kratos here, but remember wc3 is relatively colourful. even very slightly saturated colours could be helpful.

~Thread Moved
AnemicRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 12:39 AM   #3
famouspker49
Suck My Terrains!

Submissions (11)

famouspker49 will become famous soon enough (72)famouspker49 will become famous soon enough (72)famouspker49 will become famous soon enough (72)

Yeah, It looks oversharpened, because I finished the texture, and resharpened after I redid the arm, just to try and get the idea of how to do it correctly. I plan to redo the whole thing. How would you suggest making Kratos colorful?

And thanks for the move.

If you dare...

Last edited by famouspker49 : 07-02-2008 at 12:39 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:00 AM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Yes, colors! Give us all of the wonderful colors that we cherish and love so much. In addition, let me recommend some more definition in your work, there's very little distinction between parts of the texture. The metal parts on the blade don't reflect, they don't feel metal, they scream of stone or more likely wallboard. And the pants, man, the pants just aren't working at all. They have ridiculously small details that are utterly indistinguishable in the wrap and will blur together into a blobby mess in-game.

The part you've redone is getting there, honestly, but trust me when I say that the skin color you've chosen is abominable both for the model but also for the environment the texture would be used within. Otherwise, though, it'll shape up if you follow through with the rest of the texture.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
famouspker49
Suck My Terrains!

Submissions (11)

Alright, I have this now, but it looks almost like he is made of metal.... Or is that just me?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg HeroDemonHunter1.jpeg (60.5 KB, 41 views)

If you dare...
Old 07-02-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

He does look like he's made out of metal. That's because of black used to shade and the fact that you have a white skin color. Changing those will bring flesh back into the picture. Also, your musculature is a bit iffy, check some google references.
Old 07-02-2008, 01:26 AM   #7
famouspker49
Suck My Terrains!

Submissions (11)

I suppose that is right, but I suppose I could make Kratos [i]before[\I] he murdered his family, so that he is a peachy color, and I had no idea musculature was a word lol. But thanks, will do. Oh, and I think he looks a little more fleshy now, or no?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg HeroDemonHunter1.jpeg (60.2 KB, 29 views)

If you dare...

Last edited by famouspker49 : 07-02-2008 at 01:29 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:05 AM   #8
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (23)

AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)AnemicRoyalty is a name known to all (524)

Skinning Contest #14 WinnerSkinning Contest #15 WinnerHero Contest #2 - 1st Place

mmkay, i picked these colours from this picture.

i tried to emulate the muscle structure in the pic a little (yeah, i suck at musculature, so sue me :P)

hope this helps :)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KratosSkin.jpg (80.1 KB, 35 views)
Old 07-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #9
famouspker49
Suck My Terrains!

Submissions (11)

Hey, thanks alot man, I'll see what I can do.

And your musculature is pretty dam good, at least compared to me.

EDIT: Here we go. Started working in 512.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg HeroDemonHunter1.jpeg (172.7 KB, 29 views)

If you dare...

Last edited by famouspker49 : 07-02-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:18 AM   #10
AnemicRoyalty

Texturing Moderator

Submissions (23)

oh, just btw, if you alpha the area around the middle of his ear, it also alpha's out his mouth.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

See, shading through with colors other than black got rid of that metallic feel. I told you so, and you didn't even have to kill the pale skin look! Oh, and don't forget to give the man nipples, I always see people forget that.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #12
Archian
Dark & Ominous

Project Leader: LoC

Submissions (27)

Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)Archian is a glorious beacon of light (477)

Show the texture wrapped on the model ^^
Archian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 01:23 PM   #13
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Yeah thats quite a lot more important then the flat texture, man, that means nothing.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:00 PM   #14
famouspker49
Suck My Terrains!

Submissions (11)

Don't worry, I wasn't guna forget his nips! But yeah, here he is wrapped. The model looks funked up in the Viewer for some reason. But anyhoo...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ss0000.JPG (35.5 KB, 46 views)

If you dare...

Last edited by famouspker49 : 07-02-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #15
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Show him playing his stand animation, and show diffrent angles, this still doesnt mean anything.

Cool idea to skin the DH into cratos though.