wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Skinning / Texturing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 05-11-2008, 11:33 PM   #1
pandamoniuman
User

pandamoniuman has little to show at this moment (0)

Default How to change the texture a model uses in game

Basically I'm working on a custom model for an rpg, and I want to be able to change which texture the model uses when he changes equipment. So when he equips leather armor, I want the model to use leather.blp, when he equips plate, i want the model to use plate.blp

Anyway to do this? Any ideas welcome, thank you
pandamoniuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #2
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Import all of the textures to the model and use different materials and show/hide different geosets for each alternate form.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:22 PM   #3
unwirklich
insubstantial

Submissions (24)

unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)

Skinning Contest 9 ~ BeastmasterSkinning Contest 8 ~ Blood Mage

woah... this is possible?
i always thought about that, but since i never tried to model i had no idea that this could be.

just a question: is it much work to make a small tutorial, how to do that?
Originally Posted by Unwirklich
do you have any idea how much efford it is to make an interface? i dont just think them into existence in two or five minutes...
but thanks for the positive feedback anyways^^
unwirklich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Yes, it's very possible, similar in nature to how the Druid of the Claw can change to bear or back. Geosets just get visibility shuffled around and you can see different parts at different times. I don't think it'd be too insane to write such a tutorial, though I hardly consider myself the technical genius to write such a thing. Perhaps I can get TDR to do it...
Old 05-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #5
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Problem with this is animation data though, you need to have a diffrent set of animations for each "form" or "texture". The gain of doing it all on one model is so little that you might as well use diffrent models, wich in a way, you are.

But to awnser the question: No. There is no way to swap textures around in wc3. You need a diffrent model or geoset for each texture.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Actually, from a programming standpoint it's hugely beneficial to have it all on one model. You don't need to morph the unit ever then, you can just attach a different required animation string and trigger it all; it's extremely convenient. From an artist standpoint, though, I imagine it probably would still save space in the long run since it'd require only one portrait model and would use the same skeleton.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Couldn't you just have a skeleton with very, very tiny cubes attached to the bone so you won't see them (that's if just bones and no mesh doesn't work) and make separate models for body parts and attach them to the skeleton?

And the textures could be controlled via the part model's animation. As far as I know, you can access other animation names through jass other than the standard ones, so you could make many animations on that model, but not really animations...just separate them in the dope sheet editor, and in each animation you hide the mesh with a material and unhide another one with another material and so on.

For example, you have a wrist guard. You duplicate it in place for as many times as you need and give each copy a unique material with unique textures. Then in the animations you hide/unhide them as you need. So to change the texture in wc3, you can basically set it to play the animation you want. I think this could be possible.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:17 AM   #8
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

yes, exactly, that works. But thats still not actually swapping textures; its swapping geometry.

Last edited by erwtenpeller : 05-13-2008 at 03:18 AM.
erwtenpeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:26 AM   #9
TDR
♪♫

Modeling & Gallery Moderator

Submissions (84)

TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)TDR has much to be proud of (701)

Hero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceConcept art session 6 - Sea dwellersModeling session 3 - Critters

Aye. I don't think swapping the actual textures on models is possible.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #10
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

Well there is one exception. There is a material that uses several textures and swaps them depending on the terrain, i think its used for trees. Maybe you cal somehow create code to make use of that feature.
Old 05-14-2008, 04:07 AM   #11
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

If you use a composite material you can swap textures by changing the alpha of one to 0 (Blizzard uses that in Grom's morph animation). The only problem with it is that it multiplies polies by 'n' being n the number of textures you use.

But of course you need a custom model.

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 AM   #12
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

would that be accompanied by animation data for every instance of "n" as well? If not, that would definetly be the most cost-efficiant way of doing multile textures.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:06 PM   #13
unwirklich
insubstantial

Submissions (24)

unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)unwirklich is a splendid one to behold (618)

sounds like more work than expected first.

i guess it is also not possible to change the model without replacing the whole unit, right? like making a jass script that changes just the .mdl file of the unit data? ...or could this be done with just a modyfied troll-berserk upgrade?
do you have any idea how much efford it is to make an interface? i dont just think them into existence in two or five minutes...

Last edited by unwirklich : 05-14-2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #14
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

You can change it using the chaos ability, yes, but there is no script function for changing a model of a unit at runtime, unfortunately.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:46 PM   #15
unwirklich
insubstantial

Submissions (24)

well thats sad.
looks like one has to deal with that.