wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Model & .Mdl Editing Corner
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 11:38 PM   #1
Kevin
User

Kevin has little to show at this moment (9)

Send a message via AIM to Kevin
Default I want to scream!

can someone please delete all of th eworthless MilkShape 3d modeling tutorials on this site and post a real tutorial?

I just spent 3 hours between two tutorials before I realized the tutorials were completely and totally worthless.

Right now I'm trying to figure out the right tutorial for skinning in milkshape, can someone please tell me a good tutorial for that?

I am building a very basic model:

rectangle + skin

It is going to be a piece of road for my project. So basically it will be a building, but no animations, just a rectangle + my custom skin. If someone knows an easy fast way to skin this and import it I'll be very happy ty.

Meanwhile please please delete those top two milkshape 3d tutorials, they are totally bogus.

Edit-- AH HA Now I realized what I did wrong, I wasn't viewing my thing properly lol

ok now I know how to skin just need to know how to import it properly.

Last edited by Kevin : 05-30-2006 at 11:41 PM.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-31-2006, 01:31 AM   #2
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

Next time I suggest you make sure you were not making any mistakes before calling our tutorials bogus and requesting their deletion ^_-.

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Old 05-31-2006, 04:26 AM   #3
Kevin
User

http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=55052

is a bogus tutorial.

I was not making any mistakes when using that tutorial. I was making a mistake when I was trying to figure it out on my own without th eaid of the bogus tutorial

This thread has numerous responses to it all calling the tutorial bogus as well, responses which didn't load up on my first attempt to view the tutorial.

The Milkshape 3d tutorials need serious review. I blew three hours between two of them and got nowhere, only through bumbling around on my own did I figure something out.

Last edited by Kevin : 05-31-2006 at 04:27 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:10 AM   #4
Guesst
User

Submissions (3)

Guesst is a jewel in the rough (185)Guesst is a jewel in the rough (185)Guesst is a jewel in the rough (185)

Milkshape exporting does not seem well implemented, so I am going to write an exporter. If you would like to be a guinea pig, you may. The attached exporter should do everything but animations right. Put the DLL in your milkshape directory.

To set a texture path, click the 'Comment' button for a material and set it to:
Code:
Path:Textures\white.blp
Except probably not that particular path. Don't put a space; the parser is currently rather touchy. You can add 'TeamColor' or 'Transparent' on the following line to make it deal with the alpha channel how you want.

To export, go File -> Export -> Warcraft III MDL (beta 1)

Make sure that you have one bone with everything assigned to it. I am going to do some sort of default bone thingy but I'm out of time for today.

Also make sure that you have a material assigned to each group.

No MDL editing should be required.

If you find something wrong, do say.

Todo list: sequences, animation, model bounds, global sequences, camera, geosetanims, export as mdx
Attached Files
File Type: zip stuff.zip (19.5 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by Guesst : 05-31-2006 at 05:11 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:19 AM   #5
Kevin
User

OMG tyvm and YES i will be a guinnea pig if it will do any good.

BUT I also suggest that you please work with the people at http://www.chumba.ch/chumbalum-soft/forum/ because if you write a good exporter they will put it on milkshape's official site!:D

I need to put a bone with the model? ok I'll try and figure that out now. I just had a flat box/rectangle for my road :D

Last edited by Kevin : 05-31-2006 at 05:21 AM.
Old 05-31-2006, 11:01 AM   #6
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

Cripes, can I be a guinea pig too?

If you can sort all the animation-related problems that kdub's exporter had, I will rep your @r$e back to the Ming Dynasty!

And it's true, all the Milkshape tutorials on here are useless. They tell you to use the 3ds -> mdx method that never had animations and was always produced sideways, so they're totally useless.
Old 06-01-2006, 03:53 AM   #7
Guesst
User

Submissions (3)

Guesst is a jewel in the rough (185)Guesst is a jewel in the rough (185)Guesst is a jewel in the rough (185)

Ok, I worked some more on it.

To do sequences, you have to edit the comment on a the model (as in the comment button when you're on the model tab). Each line goes like "Stand, 2-50, looping" or "Attack, 60-70, nonlooping" or whatever.

It will now add a default bone for unassigned vertices, a default material for materialless groups, and a default sequence for sequenceless models.

Any bug finding would be most helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: zip stuff2.zip (22.2 KB, 14 views)
Old 06-08-2006, 11:38 AM   #8
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Been playing around a little with it, and discovered something interesting... Not really sure if this is a problem or not, but if you know what's going on...

I have a model; single geoset. Milkshape's stats tool says 58 vertices.

An export with Magos' brings up a geoset with 144 vertices.

An export with kdub's gets me to 46.

An export with your device says 58; and since Milkshape gives that, I'll assume it's correct. But really, have you any idea where all these vertices are coming or going from?
Old 06-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #9
Guesst
User

Submissions (3)

It has to do with the other kdub's exporter ignoring the shading groups and therefore not dividing vertices based on their different normals.
And I had a rather hard time with rotation animation... I will get back to that on the weekend, though.
Old 06-08-2006, 03:48 PM   #10
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Good to hear; rotation is one of the places animations started to go screwey in. Don't know any details, though. Keep up the good work!
Old 06-14-2006, 08:36 PM   #11
Kevin
User

I am real sorry guys for my lack of correspondence. I have had some things pop up -- re-editing my novel and dealing with my patent -- so my time's been consumed.

I hope to start back on my project soon and tell you guys what's going on. I am a bad guinnea pig :(
Old 06-14-2006, 09:36 PM   #12
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Don't worry about a thing; all I need you here for is backup to encourage Guesst to make this exporter!
Old 06-14-2006, 10:02 PM   #13
Kevin
User

Well I still need it I mean, sometimes I have months to waste building a map, other times, I have maybe 3 days in two months. So a finished exporter will not only help me a great deal, but a finished exporter will make the people at chumba/swissquake.net very very very happy. And it will immortalize your (guest's) name in the annals of MILKSHAPING!:D
Old 06-14-2006, 10:30 PM   #14
Guesst
User

Submissions (3)

Here is the latest version. I haven't tested animation much yet, but the simple boxes swinging and bouncing around that I've made seem to work. You don't have to run Zero Joints like you did with the other exporter.

Todo list: animation testing/fixing, global sequences, camera, geosetanims, export as mdx
Attached Files
File Type: zip stuff3.zip (21.0 KB, 7 views)
Old 06-14-2006, 10:50 PM   #15
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Even if you don't have to run the zero joints plugin, will it still be able to cope with older models with zero'd joints?