wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > General Mapping Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 10-03-2009, 05:23 PM   #106
Kueken
User

Kueken will become famous soon enough (41)Kueken will become famous soon enough (41)

Quote:
Atwa (Tornado Wanderer): Units that have this ability can follow other units much closer than ordinary units. You'll just have to set the area of effect of the spell to a greatest possible value. A unit that has this ability will just have to be ordered to right-click another unit and it will follow the unit if it doesn't have an attack.

Is there any way to make this useable for a hero without side effects (like wandering randomly when not having any other order)?
I experimented with the values a bit, but with some weird results. Sometimes the hero wandered a bit and then suddenly died. (with just the values for AoE and cast range set to 99999); I could not even revive him (he was not removed from game, his disabled icon showed up, but revive via trigger did not work)

Quote:
User Interface: Often tooltips and buffs don't show up correctly when a spell is updated to a higher level. In that case any ability can be added and removed to update the user interface. I usually base this ability off of Adis (Dispel Magic).
Collapse JASS:
function UnitRefreshUI takes unit u returns nothing
  call UnitAddAbility(u, <refresher ability>)
  call UnitRemoveAbility(u, <refresher ability>)
endfunction

I never had this problem with any ability besides Charge Gold and Lumber ('AAns'). But this method does not seem to work here. The gold/lumber cost is correctly updated, but the tooltip, cooldown, mana cost etc is ignored. Is this a known problem?
Kueken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-08-2009, 01:06 AM   #107
Callahan
Bullseye

Submissions (72)

Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)Callahan is a splendid one to behold (688)

I may use 'Awan' (Critter wander).

_________
I support every RPG map maker.
_______
OMG!My signature doesn't countains subliminal messages anymore!
Callahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #108
Kueken
User

Kueken will become famous soon enough (41)Kueken will become famous soon enough (41)

Maybe I formulated it a bit misleading:
I dont want the hero to move around, I just want them to be able to follow other heroes closely as stated in the guide, but without the side-effect of randomly moving around.
Kueken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #109
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Tom_Kazansky found an interesting thing about Engineering Upgrade. I don't know if this is already known, though. I'm sorry for posting it again, if it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Kazansky
... Engineering Upgrade ability is... weird, (this is not the word I want to say but... I will just use it ). When you upgrade an ability to another, it keeps... the nature of the old ability. ("nature", I mean it is active or passive)
For example: you upgrade a passive Storm Hammer to an active Storm Bolt, after upgrade, you can't cast Storm Bolt, it become a passive now.
that is what I found with my own test
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 11-05-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 07:49 PM   #110
cosmicat
Probably AFK

cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)cosmicat will become famous soon enough (71)

Interesting. I wonder if it keeps other "natures," too. Like, if I upgrade Thunder Clap to Storm Bolt, does the ability still think it's an immediate order?
Maybe you can only "correctly" upgrade an ability to something with the same parameters...

About the "update user interface" thing, spells do fail to update their tooltips if they're leveled up via trigger while the user is reading the tooltip. The remedy for this is either to add/remove a dummy ability or hide/show the ability being leveled up. Hide/show will actually update the tooltip while the user is still reading it, which is cool if the ability is just a counter or something, but maybe not if the description changes drastically.

Last edited by cosmicat : 11-05-2009 at 07:55 PM.
cosmicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:05 PM   #111
Ice Snake
User

Ice Snake has little to show at this moment (0)

Thank you! Very useful.
Ice Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 07:02 PM   #112
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

I found something kind of peculiar with Channel's field "Art - Animation Names". I thought that Channel's default fields for this field (them being "spell" and "channel") where just there for fun. Haha, but it turns that it serves a function to how Channel performs. It's very simple, but I haven't seen it posted anywhere. It's probably already common knowledge, but you never know.

Apparently when you remove "channel" from Channel's "Art - Animation Names", it no requires the spell to be channeled by the unit. To elaborate, when "channel" is removed, the spell will fire off whether or not the unit is channeling the spell. No strings attached. While this may not be important for spells that fire off immediately, it is important when making the decision of whether a spell that happens overtime should stop when the caster stops.

An example where removing "channel" is relatively useless is if you wanted to make a spell like Storm Bolt. Your hero would only be stopped if there's an interruption before the spell itself activates (just like normal).

An example where removing "channel" is significant is if you wanted to make a spell like Monsoon. Remember that this is making a spell LIKE Monsoon. Monsoon itself is hard-coded so that you must channel the spell (trust me, I tried). Spells like Monsoon require that a unit channels the spell to gain the full effect, while there are other spells like Flame Strike (which is hard-coded to require channeling, as well... I tried) that, despite the spell being channeled for a few seconds, does not take effect until a certain amount of time.

Let's use a spell like Flame Strike as an example. Normally, Flame Strike takes a few seconds to activate before firing off. This gives any unit the ability to stop the Blood Mage before firing it off by interrupting him (via stun or silence) or by scaring the playing into thinking that the Blood Mage is in peril and should back off. It's still mana used, because even though the spell was used, the effect is delayed for a few seconds. If a person were to remove the "channel" requirement as listed in the "Art - Animation Names", the Blood Mage would never have to worry about channeling the spell. It would fire off whether he stands there the entire time or only manages to use the spell for .1 seconds. Stunned? The spell will fire off. Silenced? The spell still fires off.

Remember that this only works for Channel. The actual versions of Monsoon and Flame Strike are hard-coded to require that the unit channel the spell.

It makes me wonder... Is there anything else that would change the behavior of how a spell works if we add more things to "Art - Animation Names"?
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 10:46 PM   #113
ALiEN95
User

ALiEN95 has little to show at this moment (0)

Atwa (Tornado Wanderer):
setting area of effect to 999999 will make it usable for units with attack :)

didnt read this all tutoria lbuts its great so far
ALiEN95 is offline   Reply With Quote