wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > General Mapping Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-19-2008, 11:08 PM   #1
~Void~
Inactive as fuck

Submissions (39)

~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)~Void~ is a jewel in the rough (213)

Default [Terrain] Advanced Lighting

Advanced Lighting
By ~Void~

1: Introduction
For those who don't know, the UTM stands for The Ultimate Terraining Map and can be found here
Now, this tutorial is fairly advanced and you should probably have some basic knowledge of how to make your terrain look good already. If you are only just starting, you might want to read some other terrain tutorials first.
The basic concepts of this tutorial is to teach you how to use various lighting techniques (mainly the Light from Above doodad) to produce really high-quality cinematic screenshots. So let's begin.

~-*~*-~

2: Sunlight
This section will teach you, step-by step, how to create sunlight, which can really help your terrain.

TIP: Light yellow and light blue/teal are good fog colors. And since lighting affects fog, don't set the end value too close or it will be too bright, and I recommend setting the start value at 0 so as to not have strange effects with the lighting.

Ok. So take your basic terrain, and put the editor in game-view mode (V) so you can see better what it will look like with the fog.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tut-example1.jpg
Views:	746
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	32014

Go into object editor and find the Light from Above (angled) doodad. Set the maximum size to 100. Now before we place it in the editor, it would be wise to turn off random scaling and rotation so as to not get really extremely huge doodads. I only suggest 100 so you can change it to anything you want.

Now, place one or two (maybe 3 if it's still not bright enough) lights right in front of the camera, and size them up to 200%-400% (maybe make one 300 and one 400, to have variation). And there you have it, your terrain already looks a bit better.

Name:	tut-example2.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	32015

TIP: If your light is too bright try tinting it down to 150/150/150 or even as low as 50/50/50, it won't make things darker it will just make the light more transparent.
TIP: If you see an ugly glow at the bottom of your light, try lowering it a bit and it should go away. The brighter you want the light to be, just lower it, because the brightest part is at the top. Or you could just make it short and fat for a gradient effect. There's a lot of things you can play around with to make great and original terrains.

~-*~*-~

3: The Sun Itself

Now this is a somewhat tricky one, and it may take a while to get it to look right, but be patient, it will pay off in the end!

Ok, so first go into the object editor again and find Light from Above doodad (not the angled one this time) and go under Art - Maximum Pitch Angle, and shift-double click that (to allow negatives) and put in -1.57. This will tilt your Light from Above doodads so that they aren't from above anymore, more from the side :)
You should end up with something like this when you put it in the editor.

Name:	tut-example3.jpg
Views:	527
Size:	157.1 KB
ID:	32016

Now how does that look like the sun? Well, it doesn't. You have do do some stuff first. First, select the light doodad you just placed and rotate it so the thin part is pointing away from you (and the fat one pointing towards you, should be 90 degrees if you are at the default camera rotation). Then, move it towards the way back of your terrain, on the horizon, and lift it up a bit. You might want to be careful where the height is where you put it, though (preferably a flat part behind the horizon) because it will rotate a bit from the pitch angle you did in the first step.

Name:	tut-example4.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	32017

Congratulations, you've got this far... now for the "fun" part :\
Size the doodad to about 1000%. I don't recommend going larger than 1500% or smaller than 750%.

Name:	tut-example5.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	32018

OMG, what about that big hole in the middle of the sun? Don't fret, you can just cover it up with fog doodads! Go into object editor, and find the doodad Fog (edit in object editor). Make the max size of this 100, although I doubt you will need to resize it. Maybe set the tint to that of your fog plus or minus a bit. Then, just spam about 10 of them over the hole in your sun. Hooray, it's fixed, thank you Fog Doodad!
You now have an awesome looking sun!

Name:	tut-example6.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	32019

TIP:
The sun used in my terrain, Dawn was made with two light doodads, one slightly more transparent and bigger than the other (to get extra-long rays)

~-*~*-~

And, that's all for now. I hope you all enjoyed my tutorial and learned a lot from it, and I will be back with more tips on lighting as my own knowledge on the subject progresses.

Happy Terraining,
~Void~
~Void~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #2
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)

nice, been needing some good terrain tutorials
+rep

Goths are nerds that dress like vampires. -Dominant-Male
Oh, and wc3c wasn't dying back in 2007 and it isn't now. Our secret is simple: you can't kill the undead ... - Vexorian

We're definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It's not PillowfightCraft. - Chris Metzen on the Warcraft Movie
Man, we're considered elitist all over the internet. This makes me feel nice and warm inside. - ghenjis
Please help! I'll provide no information, you must guess! - Whitehorn
The Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 12:19 PM   #3
Gorman
.▲▼▲&#9

Submissions (2)

Gorman will become famous soon enough (70)Gorman will become famous soon enough (70)Gorman will become famous soon enough (70)

Send a message via MSN to Gorman

Very nice Void, great to see a tutorial on lighting, ive only ever used specialy made doodads to do stuff like that, and it never turns out that good!
Old 02-24-2008, 10:11 AM   #4
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

Great, I approve!
Old 02-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #5
Eznce
User

Submissions (1)

Eznce is on a distinguished road (19)

Thanks for tutorial, i havent really got it down before.(the hole in the sun thing was annoying me)

My Beginner's Trigger Tutorial Part One\/
http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=101802
Eznce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 08:02 PM   #6
mokkil123
User

mokkil123 has little to show at this moment (0)

thank you so much for this guide :)
mokkil123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
tigherion
User

Submissions (1)

tigherion has little to show at this moment (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to tigherion

Thancs greatly for this tutorial!
tigherion is offline   Reply With Quote