wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Resources > Tools
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #31
gekko
User
 
gekko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 129

Submissions (1)

gekko will become famous soon enough (33)gekko will become famous soon enough (33)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll-Brain
Correct me if i'm wrong but this tool can "only" edit map already saved, there is no way to call a script when i save a map with the JassNewGenPack, in the function compilemap_path of wehack.lua ?

I haven't implemented that yet. If there is any need, this should be no problem.

I haven't done it yet, since GMSI scripts are normally run once, or before the release (like Vex's optimizer). I haven't thought of a useful script that needs to run before each saving.

However, if you can think of one, it should be no problem putting the program there.
__________________
My stuff can be found at www.eeve.org

Check out latest GMSI !
gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 06-27-2009, 09:11 PM   #32
Troll-Brain
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,490

Submissions (1)

Troll-Brain has a spectacular aura about (134)

Default

I need to code my own preprocessor, to use accurate waits in a fashion and easy way (not using textmaxros extended things, and so one ..., in fact like an awesome PolledWait() )
(basically using Timers), so i need to modify the map's script before and after JassHelper.
Troll-Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 11:30 PM   #33
Bobo_The_Kodo
oO
 
Bobo_The_Kodo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 580

Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)Bobo_The_Kodo has a spectacular aura about (109)

Default

Ye it would be useful if it could automatically execute scripts before JH

Edit:

So if I have this:

Quote:
include("string.gsl");
include("dialog.gsl");
include("utilities.gsl");

string mapFile = (@args[0] == null?fileDialog("Choose a map",@inputPath,".w3x"):@args[0]);
Map map = loadMap(mapFile,false,false);

bool b = exportFile( map, "war3map.w3u", "war3map.w3u" );

if (b)
echo("Export Successful");
It should put a file into GMSI\output ?
The folder seems to be empty even after I execute this

Last edited by Bobo_The_Kodo : 06-28-2009 at 11:42 PM.
Bobo_The_Kodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 07:05 AM   #34
gekko
User
 
gekko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 129

Submissions (1)

gekko will become famous soon enough (33)gekko will become famous soon enough (33)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobo_The_Kodo
Ye it would be useful if it could automatically execute scripts before JH

Edit:

So if I have this:


It should put a file into GMSI\output ?
The folder seems to be empty even after I execute this
again, very strange. Will check it. Normally, yes, there should be a file in the export folder.

edit:

I just tested your example. Just copied your exact code into a new script file and ran it. I got the file in my export folder afterwards. Which platform are you running? And do you receive the "Export Successful" message?
__________________
My stuff can be found at www.eeve.org

Check out latest GMSI !

Last edited by gekko : 06-30-2009 at 09:17 AM.
gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:29 AM   #35
cohadar
master of fugue
 
cohadar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,453

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Default

Seriously i don't get it why you invented a new script language when vJass had all you needed - Structs, loops, arrays (even associative ones).
Not to mention 'Axyz' integer syntax.

That would have zero learning time.

The amount of people that can actually use GMSI now is like 5-7.
__________________
Omg database crash deleted my signature, as a side effect this immensely improved wc3c.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 AM   #36
akolyt0r
In Flames
 
akolyt0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,154

Submissions (3)

akolyt0r has a spectacular aura about (120)

Default

its something totally different to vJASS ... (does different things...)
__________________

Last edited by akolyt0r : 07-02-2009 at 09:49 AM.
akolyt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:51 AM   #37
Barade
User
 
Barade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 164

Barade is on a distinguished road (14)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohadar
Seriously i don't get it why you invented a new script language when vJass had all you needed - Structs, loops, arrays (even associative ones).
Not to mention 'Axyz' integer syntax.

That would have zero learning time.

The amount of people that can actually use GMSI now is like 5-7.
In my opinion this scripting language isn't hard to learn and I think that most of people only will have to use some modified scripts which already do exist.
But why should he use vJass?! vJass was created as Jass extension and isn't a very well-defined scripting language (which is up to Jass). Maybe he could have been used a scripting language which already does exist (like LUA, I don't know much about it :-/) but GMSI's syntax is much better than vJass's.
Consider that it would be much harder for Java/C/C++ programmers to learn vJass than this language.
__________________
Barade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #38
cohadar
master of fugue
 
cohadar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,453

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barade
Consider that it would be much harder for Java/C/C++ programmers to learn vJass than this language.
Is the target audience here an average Java/C/C++ programmer or jass programmer?
*restrained myself from insulting*

jass based language would be the perfect choice for object editor script language for every reason possible.

1. People who would need/use scripted object editor already know jass
(+ you don't need to change your brain focus when switching between triggers and object editor script)
2. there are already tons of jass parsers out there so making it would take like 30 min of work
3. The syntax of jass supports object id's natively 'Axyz'
4. It has structs that you need to represent Object Data


Can anyone tell me at least one reason why would jass be a bad choice for object editor scripting?
__________________
Omg database crash deleted my signature, as a side effect this immensely improved wc3c.

Last edited by cohadar : 07-02-2009 at 11:02 PM.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:08 AM   #39
Barade
User
 
Barade's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 164

Barade is on a distinguished road (14)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cohadar
Is the target audience here an average Java/C/C++ programmer or jass programmer?
*restrained myself from insulting*

jass based language would be the perfect choice for object editor script language for every reason possible.

1. People who would need/use scripted object editor already know jass
(+ you don't need to change your brain focus when switching between triggers and object editor script)
2. there are already tons of jass parsers out there so making it would take like 30 min of work
3. The syntax of jass supports object id's natively 'Axyz'
4. It has structs that you need to represent Object Data


Can anyone tell me at least one reason why would jass be a bad choice for object editor scripting?
Do you want to be the one who writes the Jass interpreter? I don't think this would take like 30 min work.
I've already told you why this language is much better than Jass. And what's the point about the object data representing struct types?!
Do you want to use Jass GAMEPLAY functions like KillUnit?!
Why should this tool be created only for Jass and vJass programmers and take all disadvantages of these two scripting languages. Jass and vJass programmers usually should be able to learn (like most other humans).
As I've already written, in my opinion it was the right choice to do not use a Jass- or vJass-like language.
Maybe a nice common scripting language but this language is still much better than Jass/vJass.
You are free to create your own tool.
__________________
Barade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:07 AM   #40
cohadar
master of fugue
 
cohadar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,453

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barade
Do you want to use Jass GAMEPLAY functions like KillUnit?!
Do you want me to smack you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barade
You are free to create your own tool.
The most common bitching technique used by people without arguments.
(Especially lame here because you are not the author, and have zero submissions to this forum.)

If I don't like something I can not-like it as much as I like.

PS: Learning is not always cost-effective.
__________________
Omg database crash deleted my signature, as a side effect this immensely improved wc3c.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:56 AM   #41
akolyt0r
In Flames
 
akolyt0r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,154

Submissions (3)

akolyt0r has a spectacular aura about (120)

Default

@cohadar, why should you use a language which isnt object oriented......

Would you use VB 6 for your RL-projects aswell ?????
__________________
akolyt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 12:36 PM   #42
cohadar
master of fugue
 
cohadar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,453

Submissions (5)

cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)cohadar is just really nice (250)

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akolyt0r
@cohadar, why should you use a language which isnt object oriented......
You don't need object oriented for this, only object based.

This is going off topic, I never intended my remark to spawn this much debate.
It was simply a statement of what I think would be a better solution, end of story.
__________________
Omg database crash deleted my signature, as a side effect this immensely improved wc3c.
cohadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #43
Seshiro
User
 
Seshiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 158

Submissions (1)

Seshiro is on a distinguished road (20)

Default

I don't even, understnad you, why you are flaminga round, that GSL sohould be simillar to VJAss, it has nothing but wc3 in common with it.
It's for making auot generated Tooltips, or change the stats for Units etc. this is usefull for TDs and other maps, maybe all.... so maybe you just should RTFM!

Greez
Seshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #44
gekko
User
 
gekko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 129

Submissions (1)

gekko will become famous soon enough (33)gekko will become famous soon enough (33)

Default

Please keep calm all of you, my tool is meant for helping people, not enraging them :).

I admit that I, first of all, invented this tool to suit my own needs and problems. I don't like jass too much since I don't like that set, call, endif stuff which is superfluous for me. I rather like the C style. So yes, choosing a C/Java syntax was first of all a personal decision.

However, just because vJASS offers structs doesn't mean it is simple to write an interpreter. Your argument that "vjass already offers object oriented stuff, so why not choose that", is a non existing one for a person writing an interpreter. It is hard to do the stuff behind what you see, i.e. chosing the right struct to call a method, type inference and so on. Just because the syntax offers it, it is not easy to implement it. JAVA also offers OOP concepts (it is even not able to run without OOP). So the same argument would have been: "Why didn't you use full JAVA syntax, then you had classes, inheritance and so on". The answer is again: Coding the stuff behind that is not so easy.

I don't say that I will never add OOP to gsl. However, when it was designed, I wanted to code small scripts that didn't need any classes or stuff like that. However, for my current projects code is already getting very big, so classes would be a good addition I admit.

That will depend on if I manage to open SC2 maps with it. I won't make it for WC3 anymore I think, but if it works also for SC2 I might improve it to OOP. (And since SC2 will have a C like script language, GSL will be much more in map maker's favor than a jass derivate then).
__________________
My stuff can be found at www.eeve.org

Check out latest GMSI !

Last edited by gekko : 07-03-2009 at 05:08 PM.
gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 07:25 PM   #45
Troll-Brain
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,490

Submissions (1)

Troll-Brain has a spectacular aura about (134)

Default

Can your tool be able to copy/paste/delete/edit/replace quite easily the war3map.wtg of a map ?

If yes, then i would need to run a script externally, like i've said before.

Last edited by Troll-Brain : 07-03-2009 at 07:29 PM.
Troll-Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:27 PM.


Affiliates
The Hubb The JASS Vault Clan WEnW Campaign Creations Clan CBS GamesModding Flixreel Videos

Powered by vBulletin (Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd).
Hosted by www.OICcam.com
IT Support and Services provided by Executive IT Services