wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 08:03 PM   #151
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Huh? How would players choose the points, then? I'm thinking of a triangularly-shaped area, the dimensions of which are chosen by the player, not a circular area.

Now that I've thought of it, I think the way to justify allowing the player to choose the points is to deal more damage if the area is smaller and less if it is larger. That way you'd have to be tactical about where you drew it.

On a side-note, anyone know how to detect the "Cancel" order? It doesn't seem to have an OrderID.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.

Last edited by Pyrogasm : 03-09-2008 at 08:03 PM.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-09-2008, 08:05 PM   #152
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
On a side-note, anyone know how to detect the "Cancel" order? It doesn't seem to have an OrderID.
That's because it's not an order. You'll also have a blast detecting the right click method of canceling a skill, considering it's impossible so far as I'm aware.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #153
Szythe
User

Submissions (3)

Szythe has a spectacular aura about (143)

Spell Making Session 11 WinnerSmiley contest 4th and 5th place.Mapping Contest Third PlaceSpell making session 08

Also, rising, you never set the facing of the dummy projectiles. this becomes very obvious and looks just plain wrong when you change the projectile model to be something with directionality such as a missile
Old 03-09-2008, 08:24 PM   #154
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Also, rising, you never set the facing of the dummy projectiles. this becomes very obvious and looks just plain wrong when you change the projectile model to be something with directionality such as a missile
Really? I'm quite sure I did that, let me play around with it a bit and see what I can cook up.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:48 PM   #155
Here-b-Trollz
Corkscrew Chainsaw!!!

Here-b-Trollz has a spectacular aura about (149)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
That's because it's not an order. You'll also have a blast detecting the right click method of canceling a skill, considering it's impossible so far as I'm aware.

Ask Toadcop how he did it?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #156
bomber7
User

bomber7 is on a distinguished road (12)

Default My Submission

Ok, heres my submission.

It took me a while, and totals 414 lines of JASS. Its super simple to import. (Only have to change one constant!) If I have time I'm going to make the end of the spell more dramatic.

Notes: Variable names begin with things like Tri because my spell was originally going to be triangle, not square.
My spell is 100% MUI but has a high CPU usage. (even after maximum optimization) So you might notice a slow down after you cast a second one of the spell. Thats why the cooldown + casting time is the same. (So people don't spam the spell and then complain about it being so slow.)

Last edited by bomber7 : 03-09-2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:24 AM   #157
TheSecretArts
Galaxy Scripter

Submissions (2)

TheSecretArts will become famous soon enough (38)TheSecretArts will become famous soon enough (38)

Send a message via AIM to TheSecretArts Send a message via MSN to TheSecretArts Send a message via Yahoo to TheSecretArts

mines 404 lines without MUI yet, and doesn't cause slowdown!

Last edited by TheSecretArts : 03-10-2008 at 02:25 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:16 AM   #158
bomber7
User

bomber7 is on a distinguished road (12)

Without MUI? Do you build an MUI version and a non MUI version? When I think of how to build a spell, I build it with MUI in mind from the beginning. If I wanted to take a non MUI spell and write it in MUI I'd probably resort to rewriting it.

The main reason for slowdown in my spell is lightning effects. Personally I don't experience the slow down, but I'm sure there are others that will.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #159
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Here-b-Trollz
Ask Toadcop how he did it?
hmmm, detecting the "smart" order??
Old 03-10-2008, 04:04 AM   #160
Here-b-Trollz
Corkscrew Chainsaw!!!

Here-b-Trollz has a spectacular aura about (149)

Hero Contest #2 - 2nd Place

It would seem not, at least from my testing.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:13 AM   #161
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

So far I haven't come up with anything yet and I haven't gotten the chance to talk to Toadcop... but I have one trick left to try.

UnitIssueOrder() might return false if the unit is in the middle of casting the spell, and I want to check that. Turns out they can be ordered.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

Quote:
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.

Last edited by Pyrogasm : 03-10-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:42 AM   #162
Alexander244
Now Kharyb

Submissions (1)

Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)Alexander244 is a jewel in the rough (193)

There was a spell for session #8 that created a triangle; Mana Triangle by masda70.
That uses a dummy unit with an expiration timer for the triangle creation, detecting the dummies move/smart orders.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:20 AM   #163
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Aha! ForceUIKey is the key!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1500
You cant detect closing a spellbook as far as i know, but u can find if its closed or open anytime by adding a dummy ability to the unit and press its hotkey (use Game - Press UI Key), if the order changed it means that ur outside the spellbook.

Quote:
Quote:
Old 03-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #164
TheSecretArts
Galaxy Scripter

Submissions (2)

TheSecretArts will become famous soon enough (38)TheSecretArts will become famous soon enough (38)

Send a message via AIM to TheSecretArts Send a message via MSN to TheSecretArts Send a message via Yahoo to TheSecretArts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber7
Without MUI? Do you build an MUI version and a non MUI version? When I think of how to build a spell, I build it with MUI in mind from the beginning. If I wanted to take a non MUI spell and write it in MUI I'd probably resort to rewriting it.

The main reason for slowdown in my spell is lightning effects. Personally I don't experience the slow down, but I'm sure there are others that will.

I create the spell first, then make it MUI. I'd rather know that the spell actually works than make it multi-instanceable. I've never been to good with making things MUI. It's just a matter of adding arrays and loops, some handlers to make sure code reaches the right struct.

Last edited by TheSecretArts : 03-10-2008 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:06 PM   #165
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

could also just use an attachment system, MUI is rarely the problem when it comes to making spells IMO

**thinking that my submission is a bit....superfluous

its a spell that I always wanted to make, but after looking at a few of the submissions, it just seems lacking, and un-original

perhaps I shall retract it from the contest, anyone care, or have any related thoughts?

don't want to waste the judges time, and all that, plus I guess going for a record, i don't know, 5th last place in a row wasn't quite my goal

Last edited by emjlr3 : 03-10-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
emjlr3
This message has been deleted by emjlr3.
Closed Thread