wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Concept Art / Fan Art
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 12-30-2009, 03:22 PM   #1
mistertea
User

Submissions (6)

mistertea is on a distinguished road (13)

Default Ogre Magi

Well...It's an ogre magi, nothing else to say. It's very gloomy,I know, but that was my intention.The left leg is a bit(well,a lot) unscaled, because of the lack of space in the picture. There should be a spell cast by the ogre, but I do suck making spell effects.
Every shade is made by the paintbrush and rubber. I didn't use anything else but shapes of the brush. I don't even know what's burn,nirvana.
comment,rate,criticise or whatever :)
Attached Images
File Type: png nearly over.png (642.4 KB, 152 views)
File Type: png step 1.png (205.2 KB, 85 views)

Last edited by mistertea : 12-31-2009 at 12:53 PM.
mistertea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:14 AM   #2
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)

Skinning Contest #12 WinnerSkinning Contest 6 ~ Ancient Civilization

You need to make a few anatomy studies beforehand, there are some fucked up stuff in here. There are also a lot of perspective issues.

To start with the most basic stuff, the faces, arms and legs look completely deformed. The legs look like they where made for something else. Hands look really small and misshapen and the wrists look broken.

The coloring is also really random, it doesn´t take into consideration the glow from the hands, or the environment at all (if there is any). I can see some filters in there too, which look bad and messy and shouldn´t be use at all in any drawing.
I´m guessing you also used dodge/burn to color. Those make the shades look completely unnatural. I recommend to start using brushes for the shades (use this tutorial made by TDR, is a video that explains a way to blend colors with the brush tool in photoshop or whichever program you use)

Lastly, the whole pose of the ogre is REALLY awkward. Check out some examples for cool poses in google or something.

This piece doesn´t seem to be finished, so I´m moving this to the concept art/fan art to receive some criticism and hopefully get improved (don´t get offended about this, keep working with is if you feel like it)

Thread moved.
NiRVaNa_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 AM
mistertea
This message has been deleted by mistertea.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:39 PM   #3
mistertea
User

Submissions (6)

Quote:
You need to make a few anatomy studies beforehand,
Where are exactly the misplaced ribs or muscles in the ogre? The right hand is full of fat, thats why it looks that way. The left hand is foreshortened. In the left leg...well,I know, it sucks.
The hands are not misshapen, what happens is that i used the toolbrush at the circle shape in grade five,and then shaded it. As the hand is the focus of the light, I used the shape of second grade. My mistake.
And,yes, maybe without the glow you can see it properly, I DID take the light of the hand in consideration.As the light comes from the hand, the arm is very shaded.There should be a ball of fire or smthing like that, but I wasn't in the mood of doing that.
I know the pose is odd.In the first place,I intended to do a tribal ogre dancing.Then shitting, then,finally, casting a spell. That's why it's odd.

The composition is circular, with the feet out to make it seem more stable. The right hand means power, and the left one, smartness. The right arm is left outside the circular periferia, as it's better intelligence than might. The one-eyed face looks to the other head to not see the light.
The left face has a pose of terribilitá. The movement is in act, in the precise moment he is going to cast the spell.
There is an abundant chiaroscuro, and the gloominess comes from an artistic period of the Baroque called Tenebrismo. One of his major exponents was Velazquez. There is escorze, or foreshortening, made by the use of shadings.

And the legs are not a problem at all, look at "lección de anatomía" of Zurbarán, his best known painting, in which the legs are very small compared to the body because of a lack of space.

Last edited by mistertea : 12-31-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:06 PM   #4
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)NiRVaNa_87 is a glorious beacon of light (410)

Quote:
Where are exactly the misplaced ribs or muscles in the ogre? The right hand is full of fat, thats why it looks that way. The left hand is foreshortened. In the left leg...well,I know, it sucks.
The hands are not misshapen, what happens is that i used the toolbrush at the circle shape in grade five,and then shaded it. As the hand is the focus of the light, I used the shape of second grade. My mistake.
Stuff like wrist badly attached to the arm and inconsistency in some anatomy desicions denote anatomy problems to me.
And the hands are misshapen. The (his) left hand´s palm has the exact same size as the arm for example, I don´t know in which bizarre way that hand is attached in the arm, I´m not even sure if he can bend that hand at all. The fingers in that hand should also have 3 joints each, to say the least.
The right (again, his) hand, the thomb is either broken, or the palm is extremely fat. This arm has also an incredibly uncomfortably position, I would have definitely placed the arm resting on the side and that´s it. No one hold a club of that size like that. The elbow is also horribly twisted.
The stomach look like it isn´t affected at all by gravity.
As for the legs, the right foot is like 3 times fatter than the other one.
Lastly, the left head seems to have no features in his face, it´s just a lightbulb with a face painted in there from what I can tell from the outline.
Quote:
I know the pose is odd.In the first place,I intended to do a tribal ogre dancing.Then shitting, then,finally, casting a spell. That's why it's odd.
Ok, at least you nailed the shitting and casting part. It was a horrible decision imo, I can´t tell if it was a joke or something. But nevertheless, the pose is still awkward. The fact that the legs are pointing the exact oposite direction from each other is bad, and the torso leaning toward his back also looks unnatural, considering he has nothing to support him.
Quote:
The composition is circular, with the feet out to make it seem more stable. The right hand means power, and the left one, smartness. The right arm is left outside the circular periferia, as it's better intelligence than might. The one-eyed face looks to the other head to not see the light.
The left face has a pose of terribilitá. The movement is in act, in the precise moment he is going to cast the spell.
That whole "circular composition" doesn´t add anything to the piece. I don´t see the whole smart/power duality in here either, you could maybe add some stuff like jewelry or armor on either side to accentuate this difference..
The one eyed face looks more like he is in love with the other head or something, you should make it more annoyed and closing his eyes a bit more. The glow isn´t that intense anyway, so whatever.
Quote:
There is an abundant chiaroscuro, and the gloominess comes from an artistic period of the Baroque called Tenebrismo. One of his major exponents was Velazquez. There is escorze, or foreshortening, made by the use of shadings.
There is absolutely no indication of Tenebrismo in here I´m afraid. The whole style of this drawing depicts some paint drawing with the fat black outlines with some dodge/burn combination in GIMP or something alike for the shades. There is absolutely no focus of attention in here, the whole outline is the same everywhere
Quote:
And the legs are not a problem at all, look at "lección de anatomía" of Zurbarán, his best known painting, in which the legs are very small compared to the body because of a lack of space.
Zorbarán has nothing to do with this. Don´t compare your drawing with his artwork.

Last edited by NiRVaNa_87 : 12-31-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:46 PM   #5
mistertea
User

Submissions (6)

Ok, I'm Ok with almost everything you said, everything but THIS:
There is absolutely no indication of Tenebrismo in here I´m afraid. The whole style of this drawing depicts some paint drawing with the fat black outlines with some dodge/burn combination in GIMP or something alike for the shades. There is absolutely no focus of attention in here, the whole outline is the same everywhere
1. Do you even know what the tenebrismo is?
2.What the fuck is dodge/burn?
3.What is GIMP??
4.If it looks the same,it's because I put attention.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:12 PM   #6
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

1. Tenebrismo relies on extremely heavy contrast between shading and lighting to make make the shapes stand out more. This doesn´t look at all like Tenebrismo style. Dark blue shades and a blue background are NOT Tenebrismo, not even close. Maybe YOU are the one who doesn´t know what Tenebrismo or barroco really is.
Also, next time you try to be a smartass again I´ll close the thread for good. Consider this a warning too.
2. Dodge and burn are tools from GIMP (check what this is in the next response) or Photoshop, which are really awful tools for shading in drawings. It looks like you either used those tools or used low-opacity black to shade, which is just as bad.
3. GIMP is a free alternative of photoshop
4. What? EDIT:If the outlines look the same, is because you used the same brush for the outlines everywhere, instead of varying sizes. That´s not paying attention, although that´s not what I meant in that sentence anyway. Have a happy new year. Bye.

Last edited by NiRVaNa_87 : 12-31-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Old 12-31-2009, 11:14 PM   #7
mistertea
User

Submissions (6)

'm sorry, I thought you were just a stupid guy pretendin' that he's an artist. But,as you know 'bout art, I must apologie.
Eventhough, I took every piece in consideration, did it separated, and didn't use the same brush. Neither I did burn/dodge.
And forget about the gibberish talk, it was just stupid nonsense.Of course it's not tenebrismo,nor it's a circular blablabla with blablabla in one hand and the other etcetera. That was just to proove your basic knowledge.
But,bravo,you have been succesful.You deserve my respect.
(also,be nice with everyone,you can criticise without looking cretin)

By the way,Barroco is a name given by the Neoclassic guvs and cames from the Portuguese word Barrueca, which is a non-esfferical pearl. This really sounds cretin,doesn't it XD
Happy new year, Nirvana, and all the staff of this site.(even those who are banned;Werewulf, you rock)

Last edited by mistertea : 12-31-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:14 AM   #8
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

Well, I don´t really consider myself an artist anyway, I have a really weird and personal interpretation of what an artist really is, which I don´t even understand myself :P. I do have some knowledge of the old artistic... current? lol I don´t even know how they call this in english... anyway, it´s something I always liked, and it´s also something I had to study about this in my career too :P.

I always try to take a "neutral" stance when I write some critics, I didn´t meant to sound rude or anything alike in that first post. I did took it more personal in the other posts so... yeah :P

Anyway, like I said in my first post, don´t stop working in this drawing unless you feel like doing something else, drawing is one of those things that need a lot of dedication to make it right. Getting some critics is always a good thing to improve.
Old 01-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
mistertea
User

Submissions (6)

This drawing was just to see what I shall improve in my drawings,I'm making one at this moment that is anatomically studied,with color variations and detailed.

By the way,are you spanish?
Old 01-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #10
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

Soy de Argentina, por aca se habla español.

Last edited by NiRVaNa_87 : 01-01-2010 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #11
mistertea
User

Submissions (6)

Ya me parecia,sabrias demasiado para ser ingles XD
los unicos que se salvan,los que entiendan este mensaje
Old 01-02-2010, 05:33 AM   #12
blanc_dummy
User

Submissions (1)

blanc_dummy has little to show at this moment (7)

Send a message via Yahoo to blanc_dummy

from google trans :p

Soy de Argentina, por aca se habla español.
I'm from Argentina, Spanish is spoken here.

Ya me parecia,sabrias demasiado para ser ingles XD
los unicos que se salvan,los que entiendan este mensaje

It seemed to me, you'd be too much for English XD
the only ones who are saved, those who understand this message
Old 01-02-2010, 06:24 AM   #13
NiRVaNa_87
!

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (8)

Yeah, ok people, stay on topic from now on please

Last edited by NiRVaNa_87 : 01-02-2010 at 06:24 AM.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:25 PM   #14
MeTaCo
User

MeTaCo has little to show at this moment (0)

use a lighter blue.. the blue's too dark, it matches with the black almost and makes the face look very hard to see.. too much shading makes it look dirty in the wrong places. and if you are going to photoshop the eyes with green.. at least make some opaque radius around the area of the eye (I'm not talking about a small radius) to make it look like it glows. "his" left hand is bigger than his right, and his left forearm is too big.. it should be coned down to fit the wrist, hence the wrist should be small.

Oh yeh baby.. YoUr AsIaN mAsTuH!
MeTaCo is offline   Reply With Quote