wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Testing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #31
Neversleeping
User

Neversleeping has little to show at this moment (9)

So were both half right :D

You know what's funny? There IS space for a fourth level desciption <shocked>. I'm sure it wasn't when I started making this map (long before Frozen Throne came out). So I must have missed that upgrade to the editor. Haha.
<heavy blush>
Getting right to work.

-Adding fourth level descriptions and fixing bad quick-keys to spells.
-Fixing typos and an error in one of the pop-up hints.
-Fixing wrongful descriptions on Orbs (they can not attack air, as this would in some cases make both flying units and to a certain degree ranged units obsolete), but instead has an active ability that can be used once a minute)
-Swapping the Beastmaster's Demoralizing Shout with an Albatross Form spell (much more fun and interesting from a strategic point of view).
-Fixing the misbehaviour of the Felhound (bad dog!)
-Adding more crazy neutral mercs for hire...?

Coming up.
I really appreciate your constructive feedback, it helps me improve it immensely.

Last edited by Neversleeping : 03-12-2009 at 06:54 PM.
Neversleeping is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-12-2009, 07:26 PM   #32
Neversleeping
User

Quote:
1) Try not to use blizzard cliff, they are certainly not at the best.
You mean blizzard style cliffing, or the actual graphics?

Quote:
2) Hero Selection - There is 1 minutes time for hero selection. I cannot finish reading all those hero data to know which hero I prefer the most.
Yes, the hero selection is still a feature that makes me call it a beta. The map is completely playable, but selection is done with the quick solution, players going after each other. The timer is just a lazy way of forcing players to pick and move on.

Quote:
3) Bug - The thing that irritate me the most is the hotkey error.
Thank you , all hot-keys and spell placement will be fixed.

Quote:
The left side of the Alliance team doesn't seems to spawn unit. Rendering the Alliance vulnerable from the Horde unit that spawn at bottom left of the map
.Yes, it does. They only spawn every 60 sec, so you must've missed it. They might have gone to the middle though, cause they select a number of different ways.

Quote:
4) Loop/Exploit - Even though my hero was't engage at battlefield. The experience rate was rather high, I earn experience quite fast without the need to send my hero to battlefield.

The amount of XP is simply because you are at single-player. This works in games with the intended number of players. Also, that you get a small amount of XP either way is no error, it's a feature. You're not required to battle all the time, you're jsut required to win the game. If you do that by biding your time setting up perfect assaults or constantly battling in the field is up to you. The high number of possibilities is a strength with the map.

Quote:
There is no anti friendlyfire system either. If there is a moron who have no intention to play the game in your team, you can bet there would be plenty of problem occur.
I didn't think human beings could be that silly? Is this really needed?

Quote:
No food limit, making this part of the loopholes in the game as well. My team could secretly gather a huge/massive amount of air unit, once the batallion was rather huge. We could strike the main base with massive air unit without any problem.
Ah, yes, in single player. But with opponents you would be too busy spending your gold to survive. If you manage to make an armoy of dragon and fliers, you deserve the win. Besides, they die easily and the Castle has a lot of HP. It's for sure a strategy to try out once, but it's for sure not broken. I don't really like unecessary restrictions, so I keep it as it is until someone proves it's imbalanced or a must-use tactic.

Quote:
5) Fun/Replayability - I test this at single player so I cannot said much about fun/replayability. But those ability are using the basic warcraft 3 ability, the same applies to those unit as well. It remind me more of melee map rather than a AOS map. I cannot said that I enjoy it that much even at single player, as there is a few error and exploit that need to be fix.
I'm not sure I understand. You like or hated the basic war3 abilities? As for the single player, well, of course you can exploit it. It's not made for single-player. But you did like engaging in those huge, raging battles, right? ;)

Quote:
Based on the current condition of this map, I do not think it was as unique as you claim it to be. With several error and exploit in this map, this map would have a hard time to get approve into wc3c map database.
I sincerely thank you for the time, and I ahve put mu submission on hold until all errors have been fixed.

Last edited by Neversleeping : 03-12-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #33
Alexis_Septimus
User

Alexis_Septimus has little to show at this moment (5)

Quote:
Yes, the hero selection is still a feature that makes me call it a beta. The map is completely playable, but selection is done with the quick solution, players going after each other. The timer is just a lazy way of forcing players to pick and move on.

This would make your description pointless as nobody have the time to read it.

Quote:
.Yes, it does. They only spawn every 60 sec, so you must've missed it. They might have gone to the middle though, cause they select a number of different ways.

If you mean at the unit that spawn at barracks at bottom left, they got to the lane at middle instead of the bottom lane.

Quote:
I didn't think human beings could be that silly? Is this really needed?

Some people have the intention to ruin other people day. As there is a quote "There is a sucker born every minute"

Quote:
Ah, yes, in single player. But with opponents you would be too busy spending your gold to survive. If you manage to make an armoy of dragon and fliers, you deserve the win. Besides, they die easily and the Castle has a lot of HP. It's for sure a strategy to try out once, but it's for sure not broken. I don't really like unecessary restrictions, so I keep it as it is until someone proves it's imbalanced or a must-use tactic.

Not just dragon, but the alliance air unit as well. With 4 vs 4 condition, user can play defensive tactic with those air unit till they have more than enough to chew their enemy.

Quote:
I'm not sure I understand. You like or hated the basic war3 abilities? As for the single player, well, of course you can exploit it. It's not made for single-player. But you did like engaging in those huge, raging battles, right? ;)

I do not hate it, but your map currently have no interesting feature that separate it from other AOS. The unit purchasing, item type and everything all make it look like melee genre map instead of AOS.
Alexis_Septimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:47 PM   #34
Neversleeping
User

I see that the defensive/sudden air rad tactic would be viable, but broken? Not so sure. I've played the map a lot of times 3vs3 over lan, and nobody has ever made this under the best of tries. Opponent heroes have TP'd back and wasted the air assault while Headhunters/Archers are popping out of the castle and 10 peasants repairing at the same time. I tell you man, it's harsh.

Maybe I should change the map description. I started making this just after trying the very first Aeon-style map when it came out. Of course I had my own vision, but I understand if that doesn't fall into the category of todays AoS' maps. I totally agree though, everything Aeon about it is that you play a hero that is resurrected...

Thanks, I really appreciate your time going on your worries/observations on the map.

ps; As for the spawn paths, it's random, but Alliance has equal CHANCE of going that way. So it evens out over time.

Last edited by Neversleeping : 03-12-2009 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 PM   #35
Alexis_Septimus
User

Quote:
ps; As for the spawn paths, it's random, but Alliance has equal CHANCE of going that way. So it evens out over time.

Can I see the trigger setting for it?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:00 PM   #36
Neversleeping
User

It's based around a die (random integer) rolling in the background all the time, from 1-10. Each unit spawning building has a number of waypoints to choose depending on the die roll.

For example, the left side Barracks walks through the forest on the west side on rolls of 1-7, and other places on 8-10. The Castle sends units down the left side only on a roll of 9-10 for instance, and the mid keep also have a chance going there. The combined possible roll elements for each main road is the same on both sides, so it should balance over time. Also, waypoints on the mid map also serve as alternating springboards.

Well, that's how it works. Or do you want to see the exact trigger?

ps; Let me also add that the Horde is a wee bit stronger on the unit batches. But Alliance defenses are generally much better, so more Horde dies altogether, leaving openings for counter attacks.

Last edited by Neversleeping : 03-12-2009 at 08:07 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:17 PM   #37
holyadvocate
User

holyadvocate is on a distinguished road (19)

Sounds like Septimus wants to play a specific type of game, and wants this to be that type, or doesnt enjoy this type of game

Most of his comments implied he didnt really understand the point of this map and indicated a bias toward specific ideas used in many maps that wouldnt work in this

And people dont like to use Blizzard cliffs in cinematics or terrain, because they are ugly, but they are functional, they work well for game, and especially this... and they look good here...

Last edited by holyadvocate : 03-12-2009 at 09:18 PM.
holyadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:31 PM   #38
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

Generally put, I agree only with some on Alexis' points, such as the team-attack prevention. The selection should be fixed, though I think the description part is too much of a cosmetic and not everyone needs to know every hero's stories.
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:38 PM   #39
Neversleeping
User

Regarding cliffs, I also see it like simple, strategic platforms in a strategy game rather than something entirely cosmetic. This is a cartoonish game, and I think the blizzardy cliffs work as such, where you can easily count how many levels you are over your opponent. It's charming. As I've said I have persued the nostalgic, original War3 feeling set in an epic stage, and at least it looks like the style of the original War3 maps.

Holyadvocate makes a good point that categorization isn't important. I don't insist on calling this an AoS at all, actually I'd be happy to drop that tag to avoid needless comparisons; we need to see what this kind of improvements this specific type of playing needs.

And so far, you guys have given me a good list I'm working on. And yes, I promise the hero selection will be fixed :)

Quote:
Generally put, I agree only with some on Alexis' points, such as the team-attack prevention
As in, adding a food cap? But shouldn't we try and see if we NEED it first? If it can't really be abused, then why have the restriction? I try to keep this map open for all kinds of approaches and strategies.
Oh, you mean friendly fire. I had never even considered this to be an issue, but okay. If it makes you happy! :)

Last edited by Neversleeping : 03-12-2009 at 11:46 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:31 AM   #40
Neversleeping
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis_Septimus
I do not hate it, but your map currently have no interesting feature that separate it from other AOS. The unit purchasing, item type and everything all make it look like melee genre map instead of AOS.

This one lingered with me a long time, cause this... well, it's the very MEANING of everything I've been working on. The question "what separates this from other AoS's" is a question I pointed itself out, but I also understand that it takes a while coming under the skin of Battledawn. If I may give it a shot and answer this myself, I'll just go ahead right now. I'll write a short list with a few points that makes me and my friends play exactly this map, and you may agree or disagree. But hear me out, we can share some experiences here.

So, what differs Battledawn from other maps of the genre? Well for once, the very you thing you said that it doesn't really fit into the genre at all is a good indication that it DOES differ, isn't it?Let me go to the basic fundamentals I enjoy here, and that I do not enjoy in Dota.

1) Random, mind-blowing battles with lots of variation. You see rows of arcthers teaming up, Knights riding in from the flanks just in time to save them from advancing grunts. You see taurens wading through units, brought down by the occasional gryphon raider, but again are ensnared by a group of wold raiders. It's real action with the best from war3. You see a trio of catapults fire at the towers while the footmen desperately trying to hold the line with priests behind them desperately healing the front line. Archers that fire from atop cliffs. Battles are intelligent and looks cool, rather than the same non-sense units running the same ways. And the best part, we all KNOW the units. You know that gathering a lot of units around the tauren is stupid, or attacking those wolf raiders with your drake is a bad idea. You know you should kill the priests first lest they dispel your army of undead. When the opponent is terrorizing your outer farmlands with a dragon, your old mental war3 encyclopedia tells you to get a dragonhawk rider to aerial shackle it. Same with heroes; you know how the Paladin and Mountain King works and kicks ass together... This to me, makes the game breathe strategy and ooze of fun.
Battles on a windy mountain, skirmishes in the forest rivers. All with different units, but still meaningful units masterfully designed by none other than blizzard. Players send goblin sappers to tear down towers on a second, or use zeppeling to place their siege weapons at critical spots. You will get SURPRISED. I'm never surprised playing dota.

2) The overall feeling. I can't relate to anything as well as the Alliance vs the Horde. It's the thing I've grown up with. I played Warcraft when I started going to school, and these factions are to me the real epic conflict. We understand them, know them, and I love each of the two factions' "personality"/theme. Therefore I've designed the terrain about the cities to "fit" this theme. The Horde having this bare rocks landscape and industrial, messy look, while the Alliance are surrounded by great walls in a more tranquil and lush nature.
Defending towns and outlying farms with a realistic placement and with doodads making it look nice makes we want to defend it a little bit more. I get no feeling for an entirely flat town with wierd buildings and scattered towers just standing there with 5000 hp each.

3) Let me mention again the importance of Blizzard-designed heroes. It's simply a quality stamp that every hero has a good concept and different purposes, and above all well balanced! Blizzard knows this thing. New heroes makes it amusing, not better. Seeing the Demon Hunter running around makes me KNOW what I'm up against, and can use my years old intuition against him. And there's no need to whine either because we know it's balanced, in contrast to many custom designed heroes. The same goes for units. The reperoire of units makes this game. It's the soul of the game.

4) Control Points. This is an element of hard strategy in Battledawn. You will all the time have to prioritize time spent to control these. The point of "fighting for the factories" is an element borrowed from so many strategy games... If you keep the middle, you get the cash and may teleport right up again after a short visit at the altar. You'll have upper hand until you lose it. So how much will the enemy sacrifice to get it? Will he be able to fight for their control and still threaten your base? Is he fast enough to command units on all sides of the board to do this? Does he have the gold for it when you have all the bonus income?
I think this is as interesting as it gets.

5) I just gotta add; "The Dominie". Carrying this artifact into the opponent base to make some fireworks of death is a harsh job. There's an adrenalin kick without equal when you try reaching that town center to do maximum damage while your HP is dropping fast from towers and units hitting you. You know if you make it, the entire town will go BOOM. That's fun. That's an element of variation you don't see in other AoS's, where your hero end up punching at those stupid towers no matter what. I'm NOT saying an item makes a map, that would be contradicting myself. I'm just using it as an example for how dynamic this map is compared to other maps of the genre.

Everything else is just details compared to the spirit of a map (as with all maps. Spells and perfect triggers is just the polish of a car, not the car itself). This is to me the backbone that makes it worthwhile trying playing this map, when it's so many other master maps out there. I can only disagree with you when you say Battledawn is the same as other AoS. I'm not saying it's better, and certainly NOT better technically. I say it's different. And if you are equal minded to me that likes original War3 but want to get right into the meat of the fun, you will like Battledawn.

A small example. A friend of a friend of mine came in 20th or so in a European championship in War3. Needless to say, he's a good player. He HATES custom maps (including dota), and wasn't keen on joining a game of this either. But the game started, and he could micro the heroes he knew, effeciently command the units he knew. He made some bad ass sieges and was fast (god damn as he's punching those keys) on attacking on several fronts to divert our attention. He said he had a lot of fun playing this map, and called it "War3 on an epic scale". I was a little proud then, cause I knew that this map had something worth persuing, coming right from a "professional" war3 gamer. He for once recognized what I was aimng at.
I understand that the mindset on the regular custom gamer are a tad bit different, but I can't understand that the battles sometimes seen in Battledawn won't make a smile in the corner of the mouth of even the greatest sceptic. At least after trying it a few times, when the map concept becomes clearer.

Perhaps I havent tried enough maps, but the elements above is something I have yet to enjoy in other AoS's. Of course, it may happen that you don't really care for the stuff I talk about above. Actually, I think many people don't. But that doesn't make me less inspired to share the great time we have had here with those who DO care. Further, I realize all-to-well that the map needs polishing (I have this discouraging long list already!), but again, that's details. I will eventually get there, fixing all errors or badly designed elements. If the map's backbone/concept has something unique to make some people have fun, then it's worth working on it for me.

And as mentioned earlier I'm happy to drop the whole AoS tag, cause as you say, it's maybe not of the same category.

Thank you for reading :)

Last edited by Neversleeping : 03-13-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:32 AM   #41
Alexis_Septimus
User

Quote:
Sounds like Septimus wants to play a specific type of game, and wants this to be that type, or doesnt enjoy this type of game

Most of his comments implied he didnt really understand the point of this map and indicated a bias toward specific ideas used in many maps that wouldnt work in this

And people dont like to use Blizzard cliffs in cinematics or terrain, because they are ugly, but they are functional, they work well for game, and especially this... and they look good here...

A map must be unique, fun, and balance in order to be accepted into wc3c map database. The idea isn't unique and have been use in several map, what he been doing was likely to recycle the idea.

Just take a look at this map below.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=95094

It look similiar to this one, the only slight difference was; his map cannot build structure while this could. But, generally they are similiar.

If the staff review it, they would likely won't approve it due to the current concept and quality.

The map might be balance, YES. But is it fun? Maybe yes, maybe no. Depends on the user taste. It is unique? NO

In order for a map to be accepted into wc3c map database, it must surpass most of quality which in this case, it isn't.

Yes, I agree about that. But, if he wish his map to be accepted into wc3c database. I do believe a good terrain are part of the crucial point. Just take a look at all those map accepted into wc3c map database, does any of it have ugly terrain?

Quote:
Generally put, I agree only with some on Alexis' points, such as the team-attack prevention. The selection should be fixed, though I think the description part is too much of a cosmetic and not everyone needs to know every hero's stories.

Description is crucial, that is why wc3c map submission require you to write at least a decent information about map whenever you submit it. It was important as it would enable user to understand it and enable them to learn how to play a map much better at a short period of time.

Quote:
So, what differs Battledawn from other maps of the genre? Well for once, the very you thing you said that it doesn't really fit into the genre at all is a good indication that it DOES differ, isn't it?Let me go to the basic fundamentals I enjoy here, and that I do not enjoy in Dota.

Doesn't fit into the genre doesn't mean it isn't a AOS, it was usually prefer to a map that combine more than 1 element of it. Also, do remember that a map with combination of more than 1 genre doesn't mean it was good if it doesn't well presented.

Quote:
1) Random,

Making the unit attacking from random point doesn't make it unique. Try make a research at some AOS style map. You would notice this concept have been used for quite a while.

Quote:
2) The overall feeling

If you refer to the terrain trying to fit to the theme of those team. You have to becareful on how you make it, else it would give most of the audience a big yawn. Especially those who are hard to be please.

Quote:
3) Let me mention again the importance of Blizzard-designed heroes.

Yes, it was balance. But it doesn't mean it was fun when there is nothing unique in the map.

Quote:
4) Control Points.

Having control point is your idea of being unique? Have you try to play several AOS map? They have the same method as well, try Battle Tank. If my memory serve me right, they have such a control point as well.

Quote:
Perhaps I havent tried enough maps

I do believe you haven't tried enough maps especially on AOS genre map. You would be suprise at how many map have adopt your concept a long time ago.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:25 AM   #42
Neversleeping
User

Quoting what I said with just "random" was a bit scarce. Did you even read my post? What of the epic, pulsing battles with lots of variation and set-ups? All the possibilities I presented? You awkwardly avoided the point of my post.

Ok, here's the deal. Show me ONE map that gives me the same type of battles, and I'll stop. Then you win. I'd be very happy actually, then I don't need to burn more hours doing this. Then I could happily play that map instead for all future.

EDIT to add:
Quote:
Just take a look at this map below.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/resource.php?t=95094
It look similiar to this one, the only slight difference was; his map cannot build structure while this could.
But, generally they are similiar.

I just checked out this map you suggested. (...)
I don't even know what to say. Except that I could never play this out of sheer ugliness and uninspired boringness. Look at the square, flat (Jesus I don't think the terrainer have used the raise/depress function ONCE!), horrid, undesigned terrain. The town is just... nothing. And there it comes, like clockwork: look at the identical unit spawns running down each of two corridors to the opponent base, meeting at the corner over and over. I think I'm getting ill.
If you think this is the same as Battledawn, then we are from two different worlds and cannot communicate, sorry. I'm a little relieved now that THIS is what you see through your glasses when you play my map, cause I was wondering where your statements came from. he-he. As you noticed I cared the world about what you said to begin with, but right now I'm worried you mostly have wasted my time.

I'd welcome ANYONE to comment on whether these two maps are the same, comparing Battledawn to the screenshots below. Just look at it... (what just happened, did Alexis just call Battledawn terrain ugly and THIS okay?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Somekindoftown copy.jpg (265.0 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg battle.jpg (261.5 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg symmetrical.jpg (236.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Neversleeping : 03-13-2009 at 01:00 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:09 PM   #43
Neversleeping
User

I'm consdiering to change the after-title to The Final Confrontation rather than Aeon of Legend, to remove it a little for the settled ways of the AoS, and reflect that this map draws inspiration from the core game.

Last edited by Neversleeping : 03-13-2009 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #44
Alexis_Septimus
User

Quote:
Ok, here's the deal. Show me ONE map that gives me the same type of battles, and I'll stop. Then you win. I'd be very happy actually, then I don't need to burn more hours doing this. Then I could happily play that map instead for all future.

Dear Sir, there is billions of map flowing through the internet. I cannot just spend the entire hours just to look for 1 map with the exact concept. The only thing I could do was to show some that have the concept close to it which I had previously try it.

Quote:
I'd welcome ANYONE to comment on whether these two maps are the same, comparing Battledawn to the screenshots below. Just look at it... (what just happened, did Alexis just call Battledawn terrain ugly and THIS okay?)

Dear Sir, before you being a blantant ignorant and started to whine about the terrain. Do bear in mind that I do not said the terrain was great. Please read this statement about this map by me at here.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/783956-post5.html

If you paid attention to what had been written, it was receiving a much tough critism than I does and I do write "Terrain look rather empty and bland at certain place, can you add a little destructible/doodad into it ?"

If you play that map, you would notice it have quite a similiar concept to your map at gameplay genre, that is what I try to point out and nothing else.
Old 03-13-2009, 01:46 PM   #45
Neversleeping
User

Then let me point out that I have tried, and that with high hopes. Alas, it was routine all over. Battles at the same places, same paths, same units. I didn't have the number of different attack opportunities neither with units nor various bases (e.g like a choice to go for the unit-spawning strongholds with siege weapons, weaken the outlying farm economy or head directly to the objective by air). And as usual playing through the map I was never surprised and not ONCE had the good thought: "geee, that looked so cool, what a battle". I can't for the life of me understand while I should play this plain and prosaic map when I can indulge in a much richer world like Battledawn.

I've tried about 20 AoS maps so far. They have all reminded immensely like that Castle map. How many must I try before I give up getting the same dynamics as Battledawn has?

ps; Your comment about the flat terrain on that map; adding a few doodads to terrain looking like a plastic box ain't enough. Doodads are still just details, it doest make a squared terrain feel natural.

Last edited by Neversleeping : 03-13-2009 at 01:57 PM.