wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Tutorials for beginners
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-24-2006, 11:26 PM   #1
Bob27
User

Submissions (17)

Bob27 is a jewel in the rough (180)Bob27 is a jewel in the rough (180)Bob27 is a jewel in the rough (180)

Send a message via MSN to Bob27
Default The Basics of Object Data

Introduction
The Object Editor is very simple to use. Object Data is used to make new units, abilities, spells, items, upgrades, buffs, doodads and destructables. This can also be used to edit original Blizzard made Object Data.

Creating a New Custom Object
New Object Data can be made in a click of a mouse. Either copy and paste a Blizzard Object or press Ctrl+Shift+N. Its a good idea to base the custom object on the object that is closest to the object you want to make (eg. Healing Item -> potion of healing, a basic soldier -> Footman).

Units
Units are probably the most common object data made. This part of the tutorial will explain the basics of making units and buildings.

Making a Hero
Select a Blizzard made hero that is closest to the hero you plan to make. When it is made you can change abilities, model, icons, ect. Turning it into a unit is quite simply as well, you just have to copy and paste the units object data. However some object Data will have to be made up (eg, proper names, strength, agility, intelligence, ect).

Editing Object Data
This is a list of all the categories and where you can expect to find things.

• Text
    This is where you will find names, tool tips, hotkeys and descriptions. This is something that should definitely be changed for custom units/heros.
  • Abilities
    Pretty obvious, this is where you can change the units/heros abilities.
  • Pathing
    Although this will mostly only be changed for buildings the collision size can be changed for units/heros.
  • Movement
    Change the speed of your unit/hero. This is also where you can set the unit/hero to be air, ground or water unit.
  • Techtree
    Change/make requirements for the unit/hero/building. For buildings it can also decide what units, upgrades, items are made/sold.
  • Stats
    Change the health, mana, agility, strength, intelligence, level, gold cost, lumber cost, ect. the race, transport size, unit classifacation.
  • Editor
    This is nothing that really needs to be changed. Enabling the click helper sometimes eases working with tiny units in the editor though.
  • Sound
    Change the soundset to the different units / heros.
  • Art
    Can change the model file, icon, color, size, ect.
  • Combat
    Changes damage, projectile, targets, ect.

• Items
    The categories are the same as units except with different values. But the basic things are still there, model file, icon, ability, ect.
  • Destructables
    Destructables are where trees, gates, bridges, and some walls are made. These can either be walked on like bridges, or targeted like gates, walls and barricades. This is where there are also Pathing Blockers, these are used to block of certain areas. When placed a small pink and black checkered box will appear. These will be invisible in game. Once again the categories are the same as units except there's one major difference. Instead of changing the size being in art it is in editor, named as Maximum Scale, Minimum Scale.
  • Doodads
    Doodads are almost exactly the same as destructables except none of these can be targeted or selected. Doodads are basically terrain.
  • Abilities
    Now abilities get a bit more complicated here. This is used to make the abilities for both units and items. In the stats we will see a Hero Ability and an Item Ability. If it's an item ability tick Item Ability. If its a hero ability click Hero Ability, and if its a unit ability have both unticked. Blizzard item abilities are under Special-Items. Abilities can be assigned to units/heros/items through the ability category in the units and items sections.
  • Buffs
    Buffs/Effects are used by abilities the same way abilities are used by units and items. A buff can be selected for an ability in the ability section.
  • Upgrades
    Upgrades can be used in a number of ways. They can be used as requirements for units and buildings, they can be used to give units and heros extra damage, defence, armor, strength, intelligence, agility, ect.

Conclusion
The conclusion is that Object Data is really simple. If you have any questions pm me or another moderator.
Bob27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-28-2006, 10:38 PM   #2
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

A very good tutorial for beginners - Accepted.

I had to fix a bunch of spelling errors though, please take care next time.
But nonetheless, well done.
I'll check your other tutorial tomorrow.

- moved to beinners tutorials
Old 09-23-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
Daelin
Kelani Mage

Submissions (48)

Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)Daelin is a glorious beacon of light (474)

Hero Contest - First place

Ok... This is a really nice tutorial. However, I have a tiny suggestion, considering that this is for beginners. Maybe you should also mention the fact that not all fields do something. For example, Evasion's AoE fields do not turn the spell into an aura or affect only units within the AoE mentioned in the field. This would avoid a lot of confusions. I gave you this example because I myself had this problem, with this exact example. I was certain that giving Evasion an AoE would make it work for all units around the caster.Obviously I was wrong.

~Daelin

Daelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:33 AM   #4
sickle5stone
User

sickle5stone has little to show at this moment (0)

im new but i wan to ask... how to increase max level of hero
sickle5stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 03:33 AM   #5
arpha_storm
User

arpha_storm has little to show at this moment (8)

Send a message via Yahoo to arpha_storm

Advanced -> Gameplay Constants. Check "Use Custom Gameplay Constants".
Find B) Hero Maximum Level, and double click to edit the value.

Err, I think that your post is unrelated, so please try searching first before asking (or ask in another section).

Anyway, nice tutorial for beginners, and I agree with Daelin.

Last edited by arpha_storm : 10-08-2006 at 03:34 AM.
arpha_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 09:22 AM   #6
sickle5stone
User

sickle5stone has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpha_storm
Advanced -> Gameplay Constants. Check "Use Custom Gameplay Constants".
Find B) Hero Maximum Level, and double click to edit the value.

Err, I think that your post is unrelated, so please try searching first before asking (or ask in another section).

Anyway, nice tutorial for beginners, and I agree with Daelin.

THX alot
sickle5stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2007, 07:25 AM   #7
Elhyse
User

Elhyse has little to show at this moment (0)

How to put the ability to the hero?

Abilities : | | | | |
Heroes : | | | | |
Map Design : | | | | |
Item Creation : | | | | |
Overall Progress : | | | | |

In need of a patient JASS tutor.

"So what if I'm lazy?.........At least I'm not tired."
Elhyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:02 AM   #8
TRouBLe_MaKeR
User

TRouBLe_MaKeR has little to show at this moment (1)

Find the desired Hero in the object editor -> double click on Abilities Hero and then manage your skills by adding, removing or swaping them with others
TRouBLe_MaKeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
Volcan
User

Volcan has little to show at this moment (0)

I have a question. I downloaded some models from this site, but they are all in .mdx format. But when i wanna use them, the object editor wants .mdl formats. I cannot use either of them. Any help?
Volcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:36 AM   #10
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Import them and use them as if they were .mdls. The World Editor converts them automatically.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 04:25 PM   #11
Volcan
User

Volcan has little to show at this moment (0)

No it doesn't. It says model not found or something. But when importing it, i have no problem. The file description says it is model and such, just the unit shows as green and black chessy box.
Volcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 01:41 AM   #12
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Which model specifically?
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 PM   #15
UPM
User

UPM has little to show at this moment (0)

Greteengs.

I have the question. I want create a big unit. The tank which is two times bigger then normal, as example. But here I got a problem with it's physical size. Every unit is walking through my tank and I can't fix it. I have tried almost everything in Object Editor but it still doesn't work properly.

Help me please.

I need add that at this time I have not english version of Warcraft with translation which could be better.

Last edited by UPM : 10-17-2007 at 11:00 AM.
UPM is offline   Reply With Quote