wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Skinning / Texturing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: Which Skinner is the best of these?
Skinner Number 1 10 10.31%
Skinner Number 2 12 12.37%
Skinner Number 3 26 26.80%
Skinner Number 4 22 22.68%
Skinner Number 5 27 27.84%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 05:15 PM   #31
Targash
User

Targash has little to show at this moment (0)

I voted for number 5.
Skin 1,2 is crappy.
Skin 3 looks so flat and boring.
Skin 4 is just annoying and very boring same patter repeating.
Skin 5 shows that the artist has some skill making a face and shadows and stuff.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-04-2004, 05:24 PM   #32
yoda_24
stop poking me!

Submissions (12)

yoda_24 has a spectacular aura about (89)yoda_24 has a spectacular aura about (89)yoda_24 has a spectacular aura about (89)

Modeling session 4 - Weapon pack

We had this problem yesterday... you cant simply say a skin is crap, you have to give a reason for your opinion. Please refrain from such deragatory comments such as "that is crap". I doubt you would appreciate it if someone came and called something you did crap... ah why continue I've made my point.

Project Revolution Skinner/Modeller
Old 01-04-2004, 05:29 PM   #33
Mock
User

Respected User

Mock is on a distinguished road (20)

Heres what I think about each skinner 1.

Skinner 1 - The chest and arms look really great. Nice boots also. The face is very blurry. I know it wraps poorly but he/she could have fixed it more.

Skinner 2 - I don't like night elves too much but this is very well done. All the designs must have took time. the shading on the armor is also well done. The theme is too over used just a high res night else.

Skinner 3 - How could you say this is a recolor? Compare the 2 next to each other see if anything is recolored. The face is the best part of the skin. The chest and arms look nice. I like the chains. The model isnt very great though.

Skinner 4 - I think that the skin should have been used without the mask. The mask is just silver and it covers up the face underneath which has more detail. The body is insane though you see all the parts of the machine. It is very well made.

Skinner 5 - A very professional skin. I love the blue armor parts. It's the first thing that caught my eye. The chainmail is very detailed. The whole skin is very sharp which is great. The cape is the only thing that is bad.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:35 PM   #34
yoda_24
stop poking me!

Submissions (12)

yoda_24 has a spectacular aura about (89)yoda_24 has a spectacular aura about (89)yoda_24 has a spectacular aura about (89)

night elves arnt over done... especially that model. The most overdone models are (in no order):

Arthas
Demon Hunter
Blademaster

also less overdone than those

Spellbreaker
Warden
Bloodmage

Edit: added bloodmage.. forgot about him.

Last edited by yoda_24 : 01-04-2004 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:57 PM   #35
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)

Warden and Spellbreaker? I've seen maybe 3 of each... whilst I've seen many many Bloodmages

Be excellent to each other.
Old 01-04-2004, 07:06 PM   #36
BlackLotus
User

BlackLotus has little to show at this moment (0)

i like the skinner 2 girly ... got some nice details on the armor parts...
and the skinner 3 got a nice face...
Old 01-04-2004, 07:53 PM   #37
Mock
User

Respected User

Not the model itself but the Night Elf theme.

Arthas is being used like crazy.
Blood Mage theres so many!
Blademaster, I think everyone at least skinned it once.
Medivh is getting old also.
Spell breaker, there more then 3 maybe like 9
I dont remember seeing a lot of wardens.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:09 PM   #38
antihero
Evening Commmmmmmissioner

Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (11)

antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)antihero is a jewel in the rough (238)

Skinning Contest #13 WinnerSkinning contest 2

I never realized how bad that face was until now. I had always looked at it in the world editor and it looked fine. Anyway, I fixed up the nose and the eyes are a lot better now. I'll send you the blp to put up on your site instead of this one.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHEEEHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited by antihero : 01-04-2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:19 PM   #39
Jacinthe
User

Jacinthe has little to show at this moment (0)

I think none of these look like a recolour. If you compare screenshot 2 closely with the original shot (even though they are very different sizes), they've all been reworked pretty thoroughly. The fact that they look similar to the original model - and they all do, aside from #4 - simply means the creator chose the right model for the concept.

I actually think it's a bit rude to think anyone would enter a basic recolour into a contest like this. Perhaps everyone who thinks so should take a closer look at the skins they're tearing down and try to appreciate how much work they all took.

The things I think could be improved:
#1 - The face could use a bit more attention, thanks to the horrible wrapping on that model. The pants could also use a touch more work.

#2 - The details on the armour (which are good) could use some depth - shading them to look either carved in, or protruding from the plate. Perhaps a reworking of the colour scheme to estrange it from the original skin, perhaps not.

#3 - The body could use more detail - it's blurry due to wrapping, and should have probably been a higher res skin. More could be added to improve this skin.

#4 - While a great theme, the overwhelming amount of steel may be a bit monotonous. A little more variety in colour or texture beyond the red lights could likely improve this skin.

#5 - As mentioned, thanks to the wrapping, the cloak and loincloth could use some work. The boots also, though it looks like they wrap so poorly not much can be done.

I won't comment on the high points (though there are many on each skin), to keep this poll as anonymous as possible.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:01 PM   #40
Egg
User

Respected User

Egg will become famous soon enough (28)

#5,4 and 2 ar hot

#1 should have used that tutorial on the demon hunters face that would have helped alot.

The demon HUnter has 2 br the most skinned model EVER.
ive seeen like 20.

Last edited by Egg : 01-04-2004 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:12 PM   #41
yoda_24
stop poking me!

Submissions (12)

mock you should have posted an ingame shot of each one too.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:04 PM   #42
Mock
User

Respected User

Quote:
Originally posted by yoda_24
mock you should have posted an ingame shot of each one too.

1st pic is ingame and portrait
Old 01-04-2004, 11:51 PM   #43
yoda_24
stop poking me!

Submissions (12)

No, I mean like the regular camera angle.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:26 AM   #44
Litany
Sesquipedalia Mentula

Submissions (4)

Litany is a jewel in the rough (219)Litany is a jewel in the rough (219)Litany is a jewel in the rough (219)Litany is a jewel in the rough (219)

Quote:
Originally posted by Jacinthe
I think none of these look like a recolour. If you compare screenshot 2 closely with the original shot (even though they are very different sizes), they've all been reworked pretty thoroughly.

It's actually telling that some people think that. It tells me those are the people with absolutely no eye for detail or quality. I don't think any of the entries are spectacular, but none of them are "simple" recoloring.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:38 AM   #45
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)

It would be interesting to know how long each skin took. Mine was around 2 1/2 hours. Most of that was on the chest/neck.

Be excellent to each other.
Closed Thread