wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map / Campaign Projects
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 11-25-2007, 12:17 AM   #1
masda70
User

Submissions (1)

masda70 has a spectacular aura about (128)

Default Advance Wars For Warcraft

Advance Wars For Warcraft 0.3

Author: masda70
Genre: Multiplayer Turn-based strategy
Max # of players: 4

DOWNLOAD HERE

IMPORTANT NOTE: If tested in single player, use the "-fc" command to fill empty slots with computers when prompted, and then type "-debug on", to be able to pass enemy turns with "-passhack".

README FIRST

The project is now temporarily closed and I am currently releasing its latest version, which I had for a while now, as this was started more than a year ago. I'm releasing it for whoever interested. I had already stopped working on it anyway. The previous post is here.

What's happening?
Well I might be abandoning this, depending on the amount of interested people. So the whole point of this post is to see whether there are interested people. If you want a minor bug to be fixed, I might consider doing that though.

The game
This is a remake of a nintendo portable console game (GBA/DS) for warcraft and it's been working quite good so far. For those that don't know what this game is this really sums up what it is:

"Advance Wars is a turn-based strategy game created by Intelligent Systems and distributed by Nintendo. You command an army of land, sea and air units which do battle against your opponent. "

An overview of the game at the following links:

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/strategy/...ds/review.html
http://www.gamefaqs.com/portable/ds/data/924889.html

The original game site hosts a public pdf manual. From page 6 and then past page 17 there is *some* useful information. I've been basing part of the tooltips on the information given by that manual.

The project

Two similar online projects:
http://www.customwars.com/
http://awbw.amarriner.com/

My initial aim was never to make a new version that would compete with other existing remakes but it was more like a challenge to see how much I could exploit the wc3 engine so it was mainly for fun. When it was almost of done, I ran out of fun. I've done most of the work alone and I have requested help for most testing which includes clan mates. I must also thank what I have so far to all of the Advance Wars sites for lots of the information about the game, wc3jass.com for its great tutorials and Vexorian for his optimizer.

Game state, features
All the features appearing in the DS version should be there, except for the dual CO mode.

Concerning coding, I attempted to make it easily editable, as to provide some template to other games. It's rather messy, but there is still a chance I believe. I only wish vJass had been there... (sigh)

NEW
I've made a tiny Java application that converts maps created with the following map editor:
http://www.advancewarsnet.com/design...259755bc626bba
into code that can be input at runtime, so users can play their own maps.
You can download it here.

Changelog

-Fixed various FoW-weather related problems
-Fixed certain tooltip issues under the -help menu.

-Fixed a problem that prevented clicking on the right edge of the map.
-Fixed Damage Chart (accessible on the CO's board menu) as it was hitting OP limit upon generation.
-Added a timer that works exactly like in Chess, players have a total play time, and they lose if they run out of time.
-0.2 wasn't properly compiled, causing WC3 to crash during load.

Screenshots

I have attached one picture but here is the link to a zip file with some preview pictures :
http://www.clanroof.com/user_folders...creenshots.zip
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WC3ScrnShot_112407_233422_04.jpg (274.4 KB, 132 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip AdvanceWarsMapConvert.zip (13.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: w3x AWFW_0.3.w3x (1.11 MB, 33 views)

Last edited by masda70 : 12-02-2007 at 08:49 AM.
masda70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 11-25-2007, 01:02 AM   #2
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Wow. I must say you've made the game look exceptionally well-done.

I've never played this, but from the screenshots I really think I want to.
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 03:13 AM   #3
Av3n
Roar!

Project Leader: TBR
Project Member: PoC

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Yay you brought it back

-Av3n

Thanks to FatherTime for the sig
.:
Current ProjectsSubmissions
Power of CorruptionMy Terrain
The Black RoadMy Resources
Strikeforce
Twitter
Av3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Anopob
Yay!

Anopob has a spectacular aura about (120)

Oh, I do remember this from the DS. Too bad you're leaving it though.
Better Ways of Requesting For Help - Race Contest #2 WIP Thread (Bone Race)
As of December 1st I have my blue rep. Yay :D
Anopob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2007, 06:42 PM   #5
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

I remember this map from before, I loved it to pieces. Pray tell though, why in the world give it up? All it needed was to be a bit faster in playing and it would have been one of the best looking maps made in a long time!

I say stick with it, but who am I to tell you what to do. Just get it to a finished state and move on to bigger and better things, eh?
Old 11-25-2007, 06:47 PM   #6
masda70
User

Submissions (1)

I am still open to any ideas of any kind. A timer for turns is the only thing I see to make it faster, but I am not sure of how it will preserve the game flavor. It will depend on how many people express their interest.

Oh and to answer the 'finished state' inquiry: my main objectives having been fulfilled, all the necessary features having been added, the map can only live if there is more extra input and feedback.
Therefore, my initial statement changes, the project is temporarily closed until I get enough vows of interest from the community. Anyone willing to contribute or even have a go with the map is free to do so.

Last edited by masda70 : 11-25-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-26-2007, 01:59 AM   #7
Av3n
Roar!

Submissions (7)

Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)Av3n is a jewel in the rough (240)

Hero #4 extra-official winner2008 Spell olympics - Fire - BronzeHero Contest #3 - 3rd Place

Im really interested in thisproject the problem was, I knew no-one who played it before that I could play it with.

I'll try get my clanmates to play this with me.
Im just wondering, do you plan on releasing the system?

-Av3n

.:
Strikeforce
Twitter
Old 11-26-2007, 05:15 AM   #8
masda70
User

Submissions (1)

I can release it unprotected if that it is what you are asking. The map itself has easily editable CO's/units/terrain tiles in both their aspect and stats, but if you want to add a completely new feature it will be hard, as you need to understand a lot of messy code along the way. I recently attempted (as in one week ago) to move everything to vJASS, but I admit, it's already hard to tell where to start: and the thing is that I went through a function call paranoia when I made that game, as I found myself facing the op count limit a couple of times, to the point that multidimensional array representations (e.g. the formula (I+N*J)+N*M*K) is never included in some neat function but is repeated through the code. I also wondered as to what approach to follow if I wanted 2 dimensional array properties attached to a struct, that doesn't have a size declaration within the struct code but somewhere in the setup. Then the way unit are stocked is poorly OO implemented, so that needs to be remade, etc.
Then there is the time problem. When I thought of the amount of time the migration could take me, I stopped and realized it was better to first make this post and release it as is, then discuss later if people are interested in this happening.
If you want to help me doing this migration to vJASS I would be delighted. I've only removed the globals from the variable editor and put them in a special trigger :D, and I've prepared the first draft of a struct skeleton that we can work on.

Last edited by masda70 : 11-26-2007 at 05:22 AM.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:53 AM   #9
Av3n
Roar!

Submissions (7)

Yeah I have some experience with vJass, though I can't play with it as much as I can now. (Since I've to work on normal Jass for Wc3WoW). Im re-working on most of spells to rely on vJass. I can help you for migration as well, though I won't be active on the following week but after that it'll be a week till the holidays for me as well so yeah I'll help out.

-Av3n

.:
Strikeforce
Twitter
Old 11-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #10
Pyrogasm
Lackadaisically Absent.

Respected User

Submissions (9)

Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)Pyrogasm is a splendid one to behold (638)

Hero Contest - Fourth place

Send a message via ICQ to Pyrogasm Send a message via AIM to Pyrogasm Send a message via MSN to Pyrogasm Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrogasm

Instead of having an amount of time that your turn can take at maximum, how about having a specific amount of "idle" time?

Say you have 1 minute of doing "nothing" during your turn. Essentially, you just have a timer running in the background and then you'd pause it for a few seconds whenever the player selected a new unit, bought something, etc..
Your spells are mostly ignored because they are not very cool so we aren't very excited to review/approve them, but you are incredibly persistent and won't give us an excuse to graveyard it. That is generally what results in a resource being ignored for a long time.

The Spell Request Thread Done for, unless someone else wants to revive it...
It lasted a damn long time.

Please; Ask for Help Appropriately

Quote:
Originally posted by Kyrbi0
Huh. Almost makes me wish I had a girlfriend, to take advantage of today (wait, no, that's not what I meant... I mean, take advantage of the fact that it is international women's day... gah, never mind).
Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrogasm
Rome may not have been built in a day, but the Romans sure as hell didn't say "look at this great city we built guys!" when they had nothing more than a bit of stone and some cottages.

Last edited by Pyrogasm : 11-26-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Pyrogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

The grid is nicely done man but ffs make the terrain look a little better. You dont have to use an utterly flat map do you? You can have some dents, somewhat better looking forest tiles, real mountenous areas... Becouse you have a beuitifull grid over it anyway, you can play with the terrain some more.

Unless the models used for the graphics are not splats that follow the terrain but just planes, in that case i said nothing.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #12
masda70
User

Submissions (1)

Idle time sounds quite good indeed, although it would have to consider irreversible actions as a general rule, if you don't want people to be selecting and deselecting all the time. I wonder if the rules of a chess clock could apply here :D.

EDIT: I use the image API for the grid squares, and for many reasons they must be planes. Maps are generated ingame and tiles are restricted to a 256x256 square. Terrain deformations are used to display sea and rivers, but I had to modify some doodad model in order to do the mountains, since elevations hide the transparent square model. It's also quite hard to make a single mountain out of terrain deformations in such a small square, so if anything it needs new models. As a matter of fact I had to use custom tiles in order to prevent tiles such as roads from going over nearby tiles, creating ambiguous tiles. The downside of it is that tile borders look ugly.

Last edited by masda70 : 11-27-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #13
TopWolf
User

Official Map Reviewer

TopWolf will become famous soon enough (36)TopWolf will become famous soon enough (36)

Great work and thanks for simply making it.

Now, this isnt exactly that place for a bug report, but it would have appeared as if I had found some when playing.

Bug Report
I was playing on the map "2 v 1".
-The edge tiles weren't able to be used.
-The map was not perfectly symmetric as it should have been (In fact, the "1" would have been down a city".

Some suggestions...
-If its possible, please allow us to select units while other players take turns.
-Also, mind showing which units have been moved by our opponent?
-Clocked games would be nice at the least an option for a multitude of reasons.
-Some "noob hints" in the quest just to play the game at a most basic level might be a good addition. (Just how to move units and end turns.) Personally I dont need them, but 'some' do.

I should be able to post screenshots if you need me to.

Last edited by TopWolf : 11-27-2007 at 12:21 AM.
TopWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 09:43 PM   #14
masda70
User

Submissions (1)

I updated the version after fixing the edge problem you reported :). There is another minor fix, and the addition of a chess-like timer, that's open to criticism :P. For example, if a person chooses to pass his turn most of the time, I can't tell if that is a viable idea. I will add very soon an option for the other types of timers.

Showing units that have been moved by the opponent? What exactly do you mean, during the opponent's turn or during yours after his?
Selecting units while other players take turns require a lot of changes in the script if I wanted it to support everything correctly, so if I ever migrate this to vJASS it will be considered, otherwise probably not. What would be the idea behind this though? Be able to see fuel/ammo stats, or be able to see unit range, etc? The problem is that most of the script as it is right now has been partially constructed with a clear idea in mind that only one player does stuff at a time. For example if you were selecting a enemy unit at the exact moment the enemy moved it, I need to add something to tell the "observing player" that the unit was moved, among other things. What you can do is check the stat boards located in the CO menu (damage chart, CO status board, etc).

Last edited by masda70 : 11-27-2007 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:44 AM   #15
Av3n
Roar!

Submissions (7)

In the real DS/GBA games you don't see what the opponent selects...

-Av3n

.:
Strikeforce
Twitter