wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Warcraft Editing Tools
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 09-13-2009, 01:10 PM   #1
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)

Send a message via MSN to Earth-Fury
Default Theoretical JASS Extension / vJass Replacement

I'm currently in the process of programming a type-safe hopefully incremental compiler for a theoretical vJass replacement. I say "Theoretical" because I may very well give up in the face of vJass being not that bad, combined with lazyness. Anyway. This thread is to discuss my proposed syntax.

My "Stage 1" plan for things to implement follows. Note that this is still all very much up in the air, and feedback is heavily desired:

First, let me note that the new language will not be a superset of JASS. You will not be able to call normal JASS functions from within the new language. It will also not be compatible with vJass. This is not really negotiable, as it massively simplifies the compiler if normal JASS code, and especially vJass code are simply made illegal. It also opens the language to having a lot more choice in syntax, without having the pollution of the old syntax beside it.

Secondly, it's still endline-sensitive. I love that about JASS, and I probably won't change my opinion on this matter unless you can bring forth a really cogent argument.

Code will be separated in to compilation units. Each compilation unit must have a name. I dont know if I'll allow using the same name for multiple logical compilation units... I dont think I will. Example is worth more than words:
Collapse JASS:
namespace MySpellCode

import SomeCompilationUnit
import SomeOtherStuff
import MainMapCode

// Functions, variables, etc etc.

"public" would no longer mean prefixing shit with the scope/library name and an underscore. It would mean the same as not specifying, with "private" staying basically the same. Like in Java, you can either import a namespace and have it's identifiers available locally, or use fully qualified names (eg: MyLibrary.MY_CONFIGURATION_VARIABLE)

Circular dependencies would be allowed, with massive use of TriggerEvaluate. Hopefully I can make the compiler smart enough to always pick the optimal (fewest TriggerEvaluate calls) solution all the time.

Order of initialization would be really straightforward, except in the case of circular dependencies. (Of course, your code should never depend on order of initialization when using circular dependencies...)

For declaring functions, I haven't decided between:
Collapse JASS:
string MyFunc(integer i, string s)
end
and:
Collapse JASS:
function string MyFunc(integer i, string s)
endfunction

Input on that would be awesome.

For declaring globals:
Collapse JASS:
namespace Example

integer MyGlobalVariable = 42
constant integer MY_CONSTANT = 0

For inside functions:
Collapse JASS:
void Example()
    SomeLibrary.SomeFunction(42, 3, "abc")

integer i = 12
    loop
        exitwhen i == 3
        i -= 1
    end

if i == 4
        ExplodeUniverse()
    else
        Win()
    end
end

If functions keep "endfunction" instead of just "end", everything else will keep the long end keywords.

Notice the variable declared in the middle of the function. It always annoyed me that you had to declare even the most throwaway values at the top of the function...
Search
Tutorials
Ability Guide

UnitMaxState
BonusMod

AutoIndex
ARGB
TimerUtils

Earth-Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 09-13-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
weaaddar
User

Respected User

Submissions (3)

weaaddar has a spectacular aura about (131)

Well earth fury, I'm going to suggest things that you don't want to hear.

The ideal in my opinion is to use as much syntactic sugar as possible. I'd like newline and ; as EOL marker. That way the for loop syntax isn't a pollutant if/when you add it.

I'd perfer functions to be declared within the scopes of a {}. i.e.
Collapse JASS:
void myFunc(int i)
{
//code goes here
}

As for declaring variables anywhere, that is all good. But I'd prefer that declaring variables must be available in the scope of brackets, but disallow shadowing as it never is a good idea.
Collapse JASS:
void myFunc(int i)
{
     if(i==0)

int someVarThatOnlyExistsInThisBlock = i;

someVarThatOnlyExistsInThisBlock = i+1 //throws a compile error.
}

I've noticed you stripped the call/set/local/globals etc, and its a good thing you do, as they really server no valid reason.

Other things include::
Function overloading by type & arity
Collapse JASS:
void SomeFunc(int i)
void SomeFunc(bool b)
void SomeFunc(int i,int j)

I'd also like a runtime stack implementation. Here me out before you call me nuts::
Create a global stack that is inaccessible to the user. Just have it included whenever the map is compiled. { will push on a "start" symbol, while } will clear the stack, and call each item on the stack's deconstructor until a "start" symbol is found. There should be some sort of keyword to implying to declare the variable on the stack as opposed to on the heap. Hell even if it is STACK it's probably ok. Since non-native types & native types are going to be different your going to have push on a pointer that will hold type-information as well as the Id of the object.
Collapse JASS:
void myFunction(int i)
{
    Location loc = STACK new Location(0,0)
    MyType myVar = STACK new myType();
    // some code follows
}
Which will translate to the following being put onto the stack
Collapse JASS:
Stack.Push(StartSymbol);
Stack.Push(new NativePointer(new Location(0,0)));
Stack.Push(new NonNativePointer(new myType());
At the end of the functionyou can then have it handle the native & non-native pointer type code differently. For native types since there is no simple type casting nor is there any Agent.Destroy(), you may have to actually encode full-type information to call the correct deconstructor. I suppose you can only encode agent types as well.

That way you get RAII, while not-quiet garbage collecting can allow disciplined coders to avoid memory leaks.

Last edited by weaaddar : 09-13-2009 at 01:48 PM.
weaaddar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)Earth-Fury is just really nice (343)

Quote:
Originally Posted by weaaddar
Well earth fury, I'm going to suggest things that you don't want to hear.

That's why I started the topic ;)

Quote:
The ideal in my opinion is to use as much syntactic sugar as possible. I'd like newline and ; as EOL marker. That way the for loop syntax isn't a pollutant if/when you add it.
I'd really, really, REALLY rather avoid adding ;. Even if it fucks up for loops half way to hell, either by being the only place it's used, or having some other way of separating the 3 parts. It's just so... messy. I've barely seen any uses of it that aren't abusive to my brain, and, while it's not something I've overly examined, I don't think any of the valid uses will come up much in WC3 coding.

Oddly, it would take about 2 seconds to implement ; as EOL in my current experimental tokenizer, so it's not something I really don't want to hear ;)

Quote:
I'd perfer functions to be declared within the scopes of a {}. i.e.
Collapse JASS:
void myFunc(int i)
{
//code goes here
}

That's actually a possibility I'm considering. However, i would want it to be very limited compared to C/++/etc.
Namely, { could only appear on a line by itself, or directly following a syntax construct (barring whitespace, of course.) Of course, } would have to be on it's own line. Always. And they would never be optional. Why? Because abuse of { and } are the biggest reason it hurts my brain to read a lot of C-style code.

My desire to so limit {} is the main reason I'm heavily considering alternates...

Note to some readers: Yes, I know you want to crucify me for even considering it to any extent. To you people, I say: Spend some time programming in a different language, you mooks.

Quote:
As for declaring variables anywhere, that is all good. But I'd prefer that declaring variables must be available in the scope of brackets, but disallow shadowing as it never is a good idea.
Collapse JASS:
void myFunc(int i)
{
     if(i==0)

int someVarThatOnlyExistsInThisBlock = i;

someVarThatOnlyExistsInThisBlock = i+1 //throws a compile error.
}

I say "Fuck no" to shadowing. It is the root of all evil.

Quote:
I've noticed you stripped the call/set/local/globals etc, and its a good thing you do, as they really server no valid reason.

Those are the keywords that inspired me to say "fuck you" to vanilla JASS syntax completely. :)

Quote:
Other things include::
Function overloading by type & arity
Collapse JASS:
void SomeFunc(int i)
void SomeFunc(bool b)
void SomeFunc(int i,int j)

That's off in the theoretical world of Stage 2 or 3 of implementation, but defiantly a priority.

Quote:
I'd also like a runtime stack implementation. Here me out before you call me nuts::
Create a global stack that is inaccessible to the user. Just have it included whenever the map is compiled. { will push on a "start" symbol, while } will clear the stack, and call each item on the stack's deconstructor until a "start" symbol is found. There should be some sort of keyword to implying to declare the variable on the stack as opposed to on the heap. Hell even if it is STACK it's probably ok. Since non-native types & native types are going to be different your going to have push on a pointer that will hold type-information as well as the Id of the object.
Collapse JASS:
void myFunction(int i)
{
    Location loc = STACK new Location(0,0)
    MyType myVar = STACK new myType();
    // some code follows
}
Which will translate to the following being put onto the stack
Collapse JASS:
Stack.Push(StartSymbol);
Stack.Push(new NativePointer(new Location(0,0)));
Stack.Push(new NonNativePointer(new myType());
At the end of the functionyou can then have it handle the native & non-native pointer type code differently. For native types since there is no simple type casting nor is there any Agent.Destroy(), you may have to actually encode full-type information to call the correct deconstructor. I suppose you can only encode agent types as well.

That way you get RAII, while not-quiet garbage collecting can allow disciplined coders to avoid memory leaks.

I've been thinking about something like that, actually.

However, I think that's a bit much to add directly in to the language, and the overhead of doing it all at runtime would be rather high...

Instead, I think I'll just add RAII destruction to the eventual OOP objects, and not to native types.

A standard library will be included. (As the useful shit in Blizzard.j becomes unusable.) I have no idea yet if the standard library would include wrappers like a Unit class. (Mainly because implementing OOP is a while away in the language design, let alone implementation)
Search
Tutorials
Ability Guide

UnitMaxState
BonusMod

AutoIndex
ARGB
TimerUtils

Old 09-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
MindWorX
Level 1 Neothelid

Tools Moderator

Submissions (2)

MindWorX has a spectacular aura about (147)

I'd say, that if you're building a whole new language, rather than an extension, you should really go with {} instead of function and endfunction. So defiantly
Collapse JASS:
string MyFunc(integer i, string s) {
}
Also, will you be including standard namespaces? Like System.StdTypes which would expose String/Int/Real/Code/Boolean that had a bunch of extra features? Or are you going to make it possible to extend native types without the need for a custom type? As in say string, but with methods on it like .toInt() or something.

Last edited by MindWorX : 09-13-2009 at 02:21 PM.
MindWorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
weaaddar
User

Respected User

Submissions (3)

I am a huge fan of saying { and } can only be on a new line. Runtime shouldn't really be bad for most uses.

I'd like it as then you can basically use {} like a using keyword in C# once you add the RAII stuff. I really think it wouldn't be bad to include support for all agent types. There aren't that many, and you can use binary search on the enum of the type in your native pointer. To avoid doing a ton of worthless comparisons.
Collapse JASS:
void SomeFunc()
{
     Location loc;
     for(int i = 0;i<10000;i++)

loc = new Location(i,i);
            printf(I2S(GetHandleId(loc))); // I have no idea on what your print syntax should be out...

}
With the stack would mean that the loop's body would be constantly garbage collected. As opposed to how most garbage collected languages which might just mark these objects for deletion and then your at the mercy of when the GC thread wakes up to take out the trash.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
HINDYhat
User

Submissions (2)

HINDYhat will become famous soon enough (48)HINDYhat will become famous soon enough (48)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earth-Fury
Secondly, it's still endline-sensitive. I love that about JASS, and I probably won't change my opinion on this matter unless you can bring forth a really cogent argument.
I'd like it if newline or ; could both be used. I'd definitely use ; for stuffing comparisons or certain operations into one single line.

Quote:
For declaring functions, I haven't decided between: [...]
I'm liking the first example. Like you said, unnecessary keywords are what made you say "fuck you" to vanilla Jass syntax. 'function' and 'endfunction' are just about as unnecessary as others. I also love the general use of 'end' instead of endloop, endif, and endfunction.

If you were thinking about adding support for 'for' and 'while' loops, I'd suggest against it. I think the regular loop/end that this will support is enough. However, it would be nice to have a 'break' keyword instead of 'exitwhen true', just for convenience.

Your current syntax is nice. If I wanted C syntax in Jass, I'd just go after cJass I guess. But I much prefer this style.
HINDYhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
Flame_Phoenix
retired coder | real ilfe

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Send a message via MSN to Flame_Phoenix

AI agree with MidWox, a C++/Java syntax would be nice.
Also, I suggest the use of the keyword "protected" that would be used for heritage with variables.

Though I don't know if starting this is a good idea, specially when sc2 is each day closer, even if you end your project, it is very unlikely that it will ever replace vJass.
3-Making a spell in vJass - Practice Session 1
Check out all my current spells at here
Finally, check my project:
Castle vs Castle Flame Edition

Last edited by Flame_Phoenix : 09-13-2009 at 02:35 PM.
Flame_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:58 PM   #8
weaaddar
User

Respected User

Submissions (3)

That is part of the fun of cJass is that if you really don't like syntax like exitwhen true
you can go and write:: define break = exitwhen true
Although you can't write a continue :/
Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindWorX
I'd say, that if you're building a whole new language, rather than an extension, you should really go with {} instead of function and endfunction. So defiantly
Collapse JASS:
string MyFunc(integer i, string s) {
}

Depending on the amount of conversation this topic drums up, a public poll may be forthcoming...

Quote:
Also, will you be including standard namespaces? Like System.StdTypes which would expose String/Int/Real/Code/Boolean that had a bunch of extra features?
As I said, there will be a standard library of some kind, as some things in Blizzard.j are actually useful, but will be lost. I don't know what it will contain yet, though. (Other than what is lost from blizzard.j)

Quote:
Or are you going to make it possible to extend native types without the need for a custom type? As in say string, but with methods on it like .toInt() or something.
No. That would over-complicate the implementation of OOP to insane levels.

-----------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by HINDYhat
I'd like it if newline or ; could both be used. I'd definitely use ; for stuffing comparisons or certain operations into one single line.

yuuucckkkk.....

Please post examples of usage of ; as EOL that you think would be useful! :)

Quote:
I'm liking the first example. Like you said, unnecessary keywords are what made you say "fuck you" to vanilla Jass syntax. 'function' and 'endfunction' are just about as unnecessary as others. I also love the general use of 'end' instead of endloop, endif, and endfunction.
Quote:
Your current syntax is nice. If I wanted C syntax in Jass, I'd just go after cJass I guess. But I much prefer this style.
I agree with you, others may not.

Quote:
If you were thinking about adding support for 'for' and 'while' loops, I'd suggest against it. I think the regular loop/end that this will support is enough. However, it would be nice to have a 'break' keyword instead of 'exitwhen true', just for convenience.

I will add while() loops. for loops are a possibility. "loop" loops will always remain. "exitwhen true" may be named "exit", or "exitwhen" will be renamed "breakwhen" for parity.

---------------------- (We need a <hr> bbcode tag... or do we have one..?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Phoenix
Also, I suggest the use of the keyword "protected" that would be used for heritage with variables.

Defiantly. Also, it's "Inheritance".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Phoenix
Though I don't know if starting this is a good idea, specially when sc2 is each day closer, even if you end your project, it is very unlikely that it will ever replace vJass.
I don't give a shit that SC2 will remove a lot of interest in WC3. As for the likelyhood of this replacing vJass... I also don't care all that much. This is an awesome exercise in coding for me, and some possibility to gain some real world language design experience.

----------------------------

Quote:
That is part of the fun of cJass is that if you really don't like syntax like exitwhen true
you can go and write:: define break = exitwhen true
I will never implement define, or textmacros. Ever. (Unless I don't implement generics, which... well... why the fuck am I doing this if I'm not planning to add generics?! ;P)

Of course, that doesn't stop people from making their own preprocessors for the new language... Which I will have to stab them for, because "define" is the root of IDEs sucking at dynamic syntax checking and such awesome stuff.

Quote:
Although you can't write a continue :/
It's possible to create a continue keyword. But I won't, because it would compile down to refined insanity. It would also drive me insane to implement.
Search
Tutorials
Ability Guide

UnitMaxState
BonusMod

AutoIndex
ARGB
TimerUtils

Old 09-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #10
HINDYhat
User

Submissions (2)

HINDYhat will become famous soon enough (48)HINDYhat will become famous soon enough (48)

Quote:
Please post examples of usage of ; as EOL that you think would be useful! :)
Nevermind. lol :p

Something I've really been fond of lately is '?' and ':'. For example:
Collapse JASS:
void Example()
    /* ~ Code goes here ~
    In the example you gave earlier, instead of this:
      if i == 4
          ExplodeUniverse()
      else
          Win()
      end
    You could do this: */
    (i == 4)? ExplodeUniverse() : Win()
end
HINDYhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 03:32 PM   #11
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Quote:
Nevermind. lol :p

Something I've really been fond of lately is '?' and ':'. For example:
Collapse JASS:
void Example()
    /* ~ Code goes here ~
    In the example you gave earlier, instead of this:
      if i == 4
          ExplodeUniverse()
      else
          Win()
      end
    You could do this: */
    (i == 4)? ExplodeUniverse() : Win()
end

... I want to force people to put shit on new lines for the sake of readability, and you're suggesting the most unreadable operator ever? xD...

Also, it would be a whore to compile, except in an instance like that, which is generally considered abuse of the ternary operator. (Most style guides I like/agree with state the ternary operator is for variable initialization only.)
Search
Tutorials
Ability Guide

UnitMaxState
BonusMod

AutoIndex
ARGB
TimerUtils

Old 09-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #12
weaaddar
User

Respected User

Submissions (3)

I really like the ? operator, it helps alot with doing nullity checks.
Collapse JASS:
Match = new Match(sourceObj == null ? targetObj.Type : sourceObj.Type, sourceObject, targetObject)

postincrement and preincrement:
Correctly though!
Collapse JASS:
        bool Add(T obj)
        {
            bool retVal = false;
            if(.m_Size < .m_Capacity) // range checking

this[.m_Size++]= obj;
                retVal = true;

return retVal;
        }
Should translate this method to

Collapse JASS:
        bool Add(T obj)
        {
            bool retVal = false;
                int tempVar = .m_Size;
                .m_Size = .m_Size+1;
                this[tempVar]= obj;
                retVal = true;
            }
            return retVal;

I.e. i++ must create a local variable to hold the value of i pre-increment and place that in place of i++. As for ++i it should just increment and then return.

I'm all for readability. Anyway here's a putzing around method to determine type that isn't particularly smart, but I imagine it can't be too slow. It can be used to call the correct deconstructor of an agent type if and when you decide to implement RAII for agents::
Its written in cJass and I realize I violate my own rule but it's becuase Enums in cJass don't work right. It returns an integer for this method but that can easily be replaced. This thing isn't most optimal, as its all runtime. At compile time you should be able to determine type by reading constructor information and so you can speed this up even further by delineation of the if/else if tree, and switch it to a binary search. This thing should work although there are some problems as i was too lazy to remove parent types. It's a library so you can just go DT_DetermineType(...)
Collapse JASS:
library DT
{
    private hashtable Table = InitHashtable();
    public int DetermineType(agent a)

int retVal = 0;
        if(a != null)
        {
            SaveAgentHandle(Table,0,0,a);
            if(LoadPlayerHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 1;
            elseif(LoadWidgetHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 2;
            elseif(LoadDestructableHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 3;
            elseif(LoadItemHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 4;
            elseif(LoadUnitHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 5;
            elseif(LoadAbilityHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 6;
            elseif(LoadTimerHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 7;
            elseif(LoadTriggerHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 8;
            elseif(LoadTriggerConditionHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 9;
            elseif(LoadTriggerActionHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 10;
            elseif(LoadTriggerEventHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 11;
            elseif(LoadForceHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 12;
            elseif(LoadGroupHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 13;
            elseif(LoadLocationHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 14;
            elseif(LoadRectHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 15;
            elseif(LoadBooleanExprHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 16;
            elseif(LoadSoundHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 17;
            elseif(LoadEffectHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 18;
            elseif(LoadUnitPoolHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 19;
            elseif(LoadItemPoolHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 20;
            elseif(LoadQuestHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 21;
            elseif(LoadQuestItemHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 22;
            elseif(LoadDefeatConditionHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 23;
            elseif(LoadTimerDialogHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 24;
            elseif(LoadLeaderboardHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 25;
            elseif(LoadMultiboardHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 26;
            elseif(LoadMultiboardItemHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 27;
            elseif(LoadTrackableHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 28;
            elseif(LoadDialogHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 29;
            elseif(LoadButtonHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 30;
            elseif(LoadTextTagHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 31;
            elseif(LoadLightningHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 32;
            elseif(LoadImageHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 33;
            elseif(LoadUbersplatHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 34;
            elseif(LoadRegionHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 34;
            elseif(LoadFogStateHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 35;
            elseif(LoadFogModifierHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 36;
            elseif(LoadHashtableHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 37;

}
       return retVal;

}
Old 09-13-2009, 04:28 PM   #13
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

{} is non-sense if you are going to limit it like that.
Code:
whatever...
end
Is shorter than
Code:
whatever...
{
}
When you think of things that way, the first { basically serves no purpose. If syntax has it fixed that a block will always begin at a specific place in a specific manner, there is no point in specifying if/where/how a block will begin.

If you like surrealism you could use a single character I guess

Code:
whatever...
;
But end is healthier
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Earth-Fury
Two Blue

Submissions (7)

Quote:
I really like the ? operator, it helps alot with doing nullity checks.
Collapse JASS:
Match = new Match(sourceObj == null ? targetObj.Type : sourceObj.Type, sourceObject, targetObject)

You, sir, win. Of course, I still won't implement it unless I find a simple way to do it sanely... Could always be done with a function call, actually.

Though I'm still hesitant to add something which can so easily rape the whole language in it's tender ass.

Quote:
postincrement and preincrement:
Correctly though!
Collapse JASS:
        bool Add(T obj)
        {
            bool retVal = false;

this[.m_Size++]= obj;
                retVal = true;

return retVal;
        }
Should translate this method to

Collapse JASS:
        bool Add(T obj)
        {
            bool retVal = false;
                int tempVar = .m_Size;
                .m_Size = .m_Size+1;
                this[tempVar]= obj;
                retVal = true;
            }
            return retVal;

I.e. i++ must create a local variable to hold the value of i pre-increment and place that in place of i++. As for ++i it should just increment and then return.

++ and -- are a slight possibility. Depends how easy I will find it to do the code generation for them. I see no reason not to add them, barring implementation complexity for adding them correctly.

+=, -=, etc. will all be added, of course. I dont think set operations will be allowed in any kind of expression. (of course in for() loops, but that's a bit of a special case...)

Quote:
I'm all for readability. Anyway here's a putzing around method to determine type that isn't particularly smart, but I imagine it can't be too slow. It can be used to call the correct deconstructor of an agent type if and when you decide to implement RAII for agents::
Its written in cJass and I realize I violate my own rule but it's becuase Enums in cJass don't work right. It returns an integer for this method but that can easily be replaced. This thing isn't most optimal, as its all runtime. At compile time you should be able to determine type by reading constructor information and so you can speed this up even further by delineation of the if/else if tree, and switch it to a binary search. This thing should work although there are some problems as i was too lazy to remove parent types. It's a library so you can just go DT_DetermineType(...)
Collapse JASS:
library DT
{
    private hashtable Table = InitHashtable();
    public int DetermineType(agent a)

int retVal = 0;
        if(a != null)
        {
            SaveAgentHandle(Table,0,0,a);
            if(LoadPlayerHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 1;
            elseif(LoadWidgetHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 2;
            elseif(LoadDestructableHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 3;
            elseif(LoadItemHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 4;
            elseif(LoadUnitHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 5;
            elseif(LoadAbilityHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 6;
            elseif(LoadTimerHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 7;
            elseif(LoadTriggerHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 8;
            elseif(LoadTriggerConditionHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 9;
            elseif(LoadTriggerActionHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 10;
            elseif(LoadTriggerEventHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 11;
            elseif(LoadForceHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 12;
            elseif(LoadGroupHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 13;
            elseif(LoadLocationHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 14;
            elseif(LoadRectHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 15;
            elseif(LoadBooleanExprHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 16;
            elseif(LoadSoundHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 17;
            elseif(LoadEffectHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 18;
            elseif(LoadUnitPoolHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 19;
            elseif(LoadItemPoolHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 20;
            elseif(LoadQuestHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 21;
            elseif(LoadQuestItemHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 22;
            elseif(LoadDefeatConditionHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 23;
            elseif(LoadTimerDialogHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 24;
            elseif(LoadLeaderboardHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 25;
            elseif(LoadMultiboardHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 26;
            elseif(LoadMultiboardItemHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 27;
            elseif(LoadTrackableHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 28;
            elseif(LoadDialogHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 29;
            elseif(LoadButtonHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 30;
            elseif(LoadTextTagHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 31;
            elseif(LoadLightningHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 32;
            elseif(LoadImageHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 33;
            elseif(LoadUbersplatHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 34;
            elseif(LoadRegionHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 34;
            elseif(LoadFogStateHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 35;
            elseif(LoadFogModifierHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 36;
            elseif(LoadHashtableHandle(Table,0,0) != null)retVal = 37;

}
       return retVal;

}

The shear theoretical overhead of that makes me scared to even think about how I would apply it...

------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexorian
{} is non-sense if you are going to limit it like that.
Pretty much... which means I either implement C-style syntax, or don't use {}. I'm really leaning toward the somewhat compromise of "end" and the only end of block delimiter. The only problem with that is that people who don't indent their code will be royally fucked. Of course, such people can rot in the lowest levels of hell for all I care.

----------------------------

I think I've decided rather firmly on a choice between 3 basic syntax styles:

Collapse JASS:
// returning void would look like this probably: function Func()
// May still do: function integer Func(), problem is that reads like shit.
function Func():integer 
    loop
        //Stuffff
    endloop

return 1
endfunction

// Versus

void Func()
    Global += 1
end

// Versus

// ; is required to prevent stupidity like JavaScript. Full C-style syntax.
void Func() { Global += 1; }

My biggest complaint about C-style syntax is that JASS really doesn't benefit much from the braces... However, I'm doing proper variable scoping and would allow arbitrary scopes with {}, so it will gain some of the benefits... Also, C-style syntax is harder to parse...

As for the first: I don't hate it, but it seems a bit excessive... However, the middle option seems not quite wordy enough if it's going to be wordy.

Further input is needed... Most importantly: Which, if any of the three choices would make you NOT use the language? or, more gently, which if any would make you much more resistant to using the language?
Search
Tutorials
Ability Guide

UnitMaxState
BonusMod

AutoIndex
ARGB
TimerUtils

Old 09-13-2009, 05:38 PM   #15
ToukoAozaki
extends net.wc3c.Jasser

Submissions (5)

ToukoAozaki will become famous soon enough (60)ToukoAozaki will become famous soon enough (60)ToukoAozaki will become famous soon enough (60)

Send a message via MSN to ToukoAozaki

I suggest using indentation-based approach for scopes, just like Python does.
ToukoAozaki is offline   Reply With Quote