wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Project Recruitment
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: What genre should the map be?
Aeon of Strife (AoS) 11 33.33%
Mini Games 14 42.42%
Other 8 24.24%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #61
Toadcop
BuranX

Submissions (4)

Toadcop is just really nice (299)Toadcop is just really nice (299)

Approved Map: TcXSpell Making Session 10 Winner

Send a message via ICQ to Toadcop

well imo if you want to do something serious... you need
1) strong leader which is skilled in almost any aspect of modding (jass knowledge should be above average)
2) the leader should know what to do. but could accept some suggestons etc. (so he doesnt need to wait what someone will say him what to do)
3) the project need NO MORE than 2 coders. 2 coders are optimal if they can work good in team. otherwise 1 coder with "alot of time" and no side shit etc. (ofc good skilled)
4) well in fact idk... the only independant part of project are the artists they can be in da house such also freelancers so...

but in my expirience every one who does work directly should have at least an average wc3 knowledge and especialy jass. (so he can plan better what can be realised and how much effort it does need etc.)

well it's my 2 cent.

and yeah i would vote for some Advanced Hero Defense...
+ maybe some TvT mode in it.

and as for me... i allways do the stuff by my self. and only art (more advanced) i get it from somewhere or ask someone to make it...
and it turned as the best way to do something in wc3modding. you depend only on your self. A good example for this is the hero contests...
shortly said. you DON'T NEED more than 3 persons to work directly on the map. but well you could have X artists,ideacrafters and this would be awesome. but too much ideacrafters is also bad =\

well gl ! ;P
Old 01-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #62
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammorth
How about a synergy-styled builder? Like, present the player with X skills, each skill having a different theme. Once a skill is selected, Y more skills with the same theme are shown and the player can pick one of those. It continues till the player has all the skills.
Hmm, that would certainly work better.

Quote:
This way, players still get the customization and tailoring to each's specific likes and play styles, while keeping the game from having 10 different taverns, each with 11 spells to choose from (a large cluster of chaos).
Now that's the catch (well, the first part). While I'm "pro-set-Heroes", I don't think we should have all these Taverns full of them. As much as I like making heroes, we should probably limit ourselves to, like, 2 per faction (8 total), or something else if we're not doing factions.
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:09 AM   #63
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

Basically, I agree with Ammorths synergy-style hero building. It could be very cool.

My take on "the team" is that they should consist of a few serious coders. These people require to have Jass skills, and some time. More just makes it harder, not easier above a certain limit. Below 5 coders certainly. Additional coding can be done on a contract basis.

Art wise everyone can contribute. A thread detailing the art that the team needs can be kept open, and the public can fufill these requests. An artistic leader would be neccesary to screen this stuff.

Idea crafters, can consist of everyone, but "Official Team Members" should decide what and what not gets in.

Then you need a terrainer. Best if (s)he was also a project manger, really.

This makes it just another hosted project, with quite a bit of public input.
Kwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 12:53 AM   #64
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)

Approved Map: SheepGuard TD

Good ideas guys, I'm liking what I see... but
Quote:
This way, players still get the customization and tailoring to each's specific likes and play styles, while keeping the game from having 10 different taverns, each with 11 spells to choose from (a large cluster of chaos).
That's still gonna be a serious shitload of spells especially for a minigame map o_O
And how are we going to implement the use of spells in minigames?

Any specific ideas on storyline yet? I was liking the overdramatized Not-so-RPG RPG storyline idea.

The way contribution is going to work as far as actual physical mini game design is going to be strictly left up to people who know JASS. Fulla is going to create a template for which anyone can look at, then using that, create their own minigame using JASS, submit it. Then the project leaders can conglomerate said minigames and polish it. Everyone else can work on making units, spells, items, terrain, ideas, etc. This is going to be completely open-source under the direction of project leaders.

Last edited by ShadowWolf : 01-18-2009 at 12:55 AM.
ShadowWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:10 AM   #65
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

That sounds like a plan.

Quote:
Any specific ideas on storyline yet? I was liking the overdramatized Not-so-RPG RPG storyline idea.

Which one was that?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:20 AM   #66
WTFish
User

WTFish is on a distinguished road (22)

Why heroes with starting abilities? I'm pretty sure you don't get those in minigame maps :P. Different unit per minigame with their own set of abilities (if nececssary) depending on the goal of that specific game.

I like the following the standard wc3 campaigns storyline :D. It could be quite interesting, as the campaigns are quite serious but use that comical yet serious suggestion to make a large minigame map that is basically a parody of wc3. Would you do one map for each of the different race campaigns? Or just have all in one map but go through them in chronological order so the story can be told? This could make it easier to come up with a coherent progression of minigames that tell the story, as you can find the large events in the standard campaign and condense them into a fun minigame. Although some minigames should be larger than others, while comically small is fun, for example the battle at the world tree would work better as a larger one. I havn't played the campaigns in a looooong time so if this is the story line that gets voted for then someone is going to have to have a look, making note of all the important points :P
WTFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:27 AM   #67
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk900
My take on "the team" is that they should consist of a few serious coders. These people require to have Jass skills, and some time. More just makes it harder, not easier above a certain limit. Below 5 coders certainly. Additional coding can be done on a contract basis.
Definitely.

Quote:
Art wise everyone can contribute. A thread detailing the art that the team needs can be kept open, and the public can fufill these requests. An artistic leader would be neccesary to screen this stuff.
I can throw in some edited SFX.

Quote:
Idea crafters, can consist of everyone, but "Official Team Members" should decide what and what not gets in.
I call dibs! :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFish
I like the following the standard wc3 campaigns storyline :D.

--EDIT--
Woot, 1,666th post!
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=

Last edited by Kyrbi0 : 01-18-2009 at 02:27 AM.
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #68
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Okay, so we are getting closer. I don't really know about following the War3 campaigns story line, but maybe that's just me.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:33 PM   #69
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFish
Although some minigames should be larger than others, while comically small is fun, for example the battle at the world tree would work better as a larger one.
Why? It's supposed to be a minigame. Even for something as epic as the battle for the world tree you can find some funny little thing that can be made into a proper minigame. You definitely shouldn't make the actual battle itself into a minigame because it's neither, it's no game and it's certainly not mini. Instead, you should do something like wisp herding, where you have to manage the flow of wisps towards the world tree or something.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #70
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

Ok, I think I've somewhat finished a template, which also includes one mini game for testing. Although note it can't really be played single player.

What do you want me to do with it?
King of the Circle

• Stand on a circle to gradually gain points overtime.
  • Use your abilities to aggressively smash opponents away, to claim circles or protect your own.

====

I really think that the whole storyline is overrated & will probably just simply limit the possibilities, options & whole variety available. Having completely different mini games will be alot more fun.

As for size, duration & complexity of minigames, I think initially best to build up a steady number of simplistic & short ones.
Then we could perhaps options/modes where you the host could pick between easy/difficult/mixed minigames to go with.

Last edited by Fulla : 01-18-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Fulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:08 PM   #71
ShadowWolf
Mr. Awesome!

Submissions (1)

ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)ShadowWolf will become famous soon enough (39)

Approved Map: SheepGuard TD

Omg Fulla, you are amazing. +rep imo.

I agree with Fulla now that I've thought about it- giving it too much of a storyline does limit the games we can make and also makes the games linear, which half the fun in minigame maps is not knowing which challenge is next.

I like the idea for the first minigame you've made, I'm thinking we should go in a different direction than Pyramid Escape. PE is based around teamwork. If we make competitive minigames it gives it more interaction for everyone and more replay value, because the difficulty remains in your opponent, not in a preset system.

As for the template, I don't know much about JASS, so I'm not sure how you handle something like that. I'm assuming post the template with the sample, then whoever is able to formulate games with JASS can submit theirs individually which can then be conglomerated later?
Old 01-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #72
SeruK
I'm the One

Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (8)

SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)SeruK has a spectacular aura about (105)

Send a message via MSN to SeruK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowWolf
Omg Fulla, you are amazing.
Yes, so is Team Fortress.
Old 01-18-2009, 07:47 PM   #73
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)Fulla has a spectacular aura about (79)

Ok, attached the map then. Now contains 2 potential minigames, for now it simply loops inbetween them forever.

Note, not alot you can do in single player as you need opponents to crush.
Attached Files
File Type: w3x MiniGames v0.01.w3x (64.6 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Fulla : 01-18-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Fulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:33 PM   #74
holyadvocate
User

holyadvocate is on a distinguished road (19)

K

Battle Standard

Players spawn with a random hero in a small room, all around a Battle Standard

When a hero picks up the standard, the players count goes up every second

This is based on Oddball...

The preview is finished except for one trigger, the counting trigger.. so gay...
holyadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #75
Fulla
Evil Overlord

Submissions (3)

Well that's very similar to King of the Circle, wouldn't start making any games just quite yet, but of course up to you.
Good idea to start generating ideas thou.