wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > General Mapping Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 03-28-2004, 09:09 PM   #16
tay714man
User

tay714man has little to show at this moment (0)

Suprising how much difference removing the brush list makes.

I've found that I can run WE in the "High" priority with no choppiness (with 3-4 other programs open) on WE with just my slow 1.3GHz P4 and 256MB of PC800 RDRAM. (you do get just a bit of slowness when you load it up, but after that, it's nice.)
Thanks for the tips man.
tay714man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 03-29-2004, 12:28 AM   #17
ThyFlame
User

Submissions (1)

ThyFlame is on a distinguished road (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesmerga
Is raising the priority wise (with the right cpu) in the game itself? I could see it helping alot with big open + thousands of doodad areas. Just curious...

The game already requires most of your resources to run... I don't think increasing the priority is beneficial, though increasing virtual RAM might be.
ThyFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 02:59 AM   #18
JJ912
User

JJ912 has little to show at this moment (0)

You can go to Preferences and stop the editor from making a new map every time you start up the world editor to speed up the startup time.
JJ912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #19
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

I find that lots of units really kill the processor... My system is fine with lots of doodads, but add a couple of units and it tries to commit suicide.
Old 04-16-2004, 03:59 PM   #20
OrcishSpacesuit
User

OrcishSpacesuit has little to show at this moment (1)

When not using the main window, minimize it. Editing units and whatnot signifigantly improved on my aging machine.

Macs could try doing the equivalent of minimizing, see if that helps.

Obvious, but mentioned for completeness on the thread: Zoom in your clip plane (Ctrl+mousewheel) so you don't render more than you need.
OrcishSpacesuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2004, 08:13 PM   #21
Beardo
User

Beardo has little to show at this moment (4)

Does anyone else experience very brutal object editor lag? Anyone know a way to get around this?
Beardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:58 PM   #22
storm_silver
User

storm_silver has little to show at this moment (0)

When you change object names and when you change editor suffix my machine trys to slit its wrists any ideas?
storm_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:34 AM   #23
MindWorX
Level 1 Neothelid

Tools Moderator

Submissions (2)

MindWorX has a spectacular aura about (147)

One thing i use alot is the possibility to hide objects, i have an Highend PC, but still, i like it to run totally smoothly, also you can change the details in preferences, not recomended to set particles low, since it looks like crap... ;) Also one thing that cause tremendous lag on most computers is LAN, since it takes resources... Set your UL and DL lower to reduce overall lag on your computer..
MindWorX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 12:00 PM   #24
Havoc-TFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardo
Does anyone else experience very brutal object editor lag? Anyone know a way to get around this?
This is caused by so many things being updated at the same time... Changing even a letter and hitting accept or ok will cause this. I think this can be fix by a new version of WEU. Also you may try using the WEU patch for your map editor that removes "Unit Classification" I think that will work.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:52 PM   #25
MrApples
Banned

Submissions (3)

MrApples is on a distinguished road (16)

I can't begin to say how useful this tutorial is, my text changing is instant now! I might start liking making units.

Why shouldn't you use Realtime unless you have a superfast PC? Im using it, no trouble...

Nevermind, found out why :(.

Last edited by MrApples : 02-02-2006 at 06:08 PM.
MrApples is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #26
Jacek
Banned

Submissions (1)

Jacek is a jewel in the rough (164)Jacek is a jewel in the rough (164)

Send a message via MSN to Jacek

Realtime means as far as I know, that process you set to Realtime never will run out of system resources, so for that process CPU and memory and disk too will be always ready to use, and that gets your system stuck easily.
Jacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 09:29 AM   #27
Winter.Scaze
User

Winter.Scaze has little to show at this moment (0)

Trust me.. never set any program realtime.
Winter.Scaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:40 PM   #28
Sardrixx
User

Sardrixx has little to show at this moment (1)

if you use realtime and the program is over your processor or ram & VM capabilities, your computer will most definatly crash, or go slow to the infinate power until its done with what it was doing, realtime is a HUGE risk, although i use it all the time my computer is very new and i have almost 6GB ram (6 1GB sticks) and a 4.7Ghz processor...
terrain.. ||||||||||
Units.... ||||||||||
Triggers ||||||||||
Swords & Arrows TVW
Spells... ||||||||||
terrain.. ||||||||||
Units.... ||||||||||
Triggers ||||||||||
Sardrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 08:57 PM   #29
Freakazoid
I love you all.

Submissions (14)

Freakazoid is a jewel in the rough (159)Freakazoid is a jewel in the rough (159)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardrixx
if you use realtime and the program is over your processor or ram & VM capabilities, your computer will most definatly crash, or go slow to the infinate power until its done with what it was doing, realtime is a HUGE risk, although i use it all the time my computer is very new and i have almost 6GB ram (6 1GB sticks) and a 4.7Ghz processor...

Omg?

You can also turn doodads/terrain/units on and off by pressing ctrl+d/+t or +u.

Last edited by Freakazoid : 03-29-2006 at 08:59 PM.
Freakazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #30
Blackroot
User

Blackroot will become famous soon enough (40)Blackroot will become famous soon enough (40)

Spell Making Session 14 Winner

I use realtime when unit editing, but for things like jass that dont require heavy resources, I just use high or even average. Dont use realtime if you have ANY other programs running. Msn/Google/Even antivirus programs. Generaly keeping theyse on with a realtime flagged program signs you up for a crash :P.
Blackroot is offline   Reply With Quote