wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Hosted Projects > Obsidian Depths
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 10-03-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
TKF
User

TKF is on a distinguished road (10)

Default [Question] Would there be boss music?

It's kinda weird to play against bosses, when there is just "standard" wc3 music. They are quite a challenge, so some music would be awesome during fighting these. It will add more awesomeness in the maps atmosphere.

There is 3 ways of doing this if boss music would be implemented.

1. Import music. What about using a import of music that sound very awesome. Maybe 1 or 2 sounds might be sufficient. Short ones and looping. But this increase filesize greatly...

2. Using ingame music. The filesize saving solution. Pitch some of the ingame musics and play them when it's boss fights. However the ingame music may lack awesomeness. I tried this before, and isn't so bad idea.

3. Best of both worlds. Using ingame and import of boss musics. But this solution also does increase the mapfilesize, but do also add some non-wc3 music which may also be awesome.

So what do you think?
Old 10-03-2008, 10:02 PM   #2
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

Increased file size is almost never a good thing. I would just stick with the normal Wc3 music, as I never noticed it anyway.
Kwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

I'm not going to import music, but I want to remind you all that I do not have sound on my computer. Because I don't have sound, I have no idea what anything in WC3 sounds like so it is impossible for me to guess what will sound good if I play it.

It's also too much of a pain to be bouncing it to another person just for the sake of some silly music, so... If you have some good suggestions, I guess you can give them.. But I have no idea how I would verify them being good except for listening to them at the office. (You'd need them to be on Youtube or something I can stream in that case)
Old 10-04-2008, 12:02 AM   #4
TKF
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising_Dusk
I'm not going to import music, but I want to remind you all that I do not have sound on my computer. Because I don't have sound, I have no idea what anything in WC3 sounds like so it is impossible for me to guess what will sound good if I play it.
In that case that will only leave 1 option left. Ingame musics. Also cuz you don't have any form for sounds, you cannot listed to the ingame music and sound files which exists inside warcraft editor.

Is your sound card broken or do you lack speakers?
Maybe not, I know a dude which never had sound on his computer and refuseso; so if that is the case I kinda understand.

Quote:
It's also too much of a pain to be bouncing it to another person just for the sake of some silly music, so... If you have some good suggestions, I guess you can give them.. But I have no idea how I would verify them being good except for listening to them at the office. (You'd need them to be on Youtube or something I can stream in that case)
That would be nearly impossible, pitching music can only be done in the sound editor if you don't have music programs to do it with music exports.

SUGGESTION LIST

This is my suggestion list for music (other different opinions would be good)

Game Start Music (Intro)
  • HumanDefeat.mp3 - Pitch 1.6 - 29 seconds duration (Sound quite like awesome ruin theme with that pitch, A must have) (10/10)
    HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Normal Game Music (Normal)
  • Normal wc3 music

Boss Musics
  • Doom.mp3 - Pitch 1.8 - 36.66 seconds duration (Doomlike bossmusic, very (cartoonish) intimidating like music) (8/10)
  • PursuitTheme.mp3 - Pitch 1.8 - 40 seconds duration (Also very good, but the ending kinda suck so looping this one is bad, so a bad score cuz it's not loop friendly) (3/10)
  • OrcVictory - Pitch 1.2 - 37 seconds duration (Also a good bossmusic, feels somewhat undead/orclike) (7/10)
  • War2IntroMusic.mp3 - Pitch 1.8 - 45 Seconds (This is the most awesome wc3 music there is imo, best boss music!) (9/10)
  • Credits.mp3 - Pitch 1.6 - 52 Seconds - (Cheering and rock and roll music, but perhaps not perfectly fit for boss music) (6/10)
  • LichKingTheme.mp3 - Pitch 2.0 - 39 Seconds (Sound kinda awkward, but not so extremely bad, just boring lichlike) (4/10)

Finished a boss/level
  • NightElfVictory.mp3 - Pitch 1.6 - 13.75 seconds (Fits very well when completing something big) (9/10)

Defeat/Game Over
  • OrcDefeat.mp3 - Pitch 1.8 - 21.66 seconds (Sounds really like a defeat to me, but it could have sounded better) (7/10)

Winning All Levels/Complete the map
  • BloodElfTheme.mp3 - Pitch 2.0 - 72 Seconds (Good ending music you would love this when you win the map :D) (9/10)

But I would recommend at least intro music, it fits perfect. IMO the music with less than 7/10 score would lower the atmosphere quality of the map; maybe 9/10 if you really care.

I think it's a minimum with a intro music and a defeat a boss theme. But it would be nice with a boss music on the hard bosses; you make the map very enjoyable.

Last edited by TKF : 10-04-2008 at 12:04 AM.
TKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 03:44 AM   #5
Tide-Arc Ephemera
Overdoses result in death

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

Doom running at default pitch. Best epic boss music evaaaarrr.

If you're having troubles getting help on WC3C or anywhere at all, please have a look at...
The WRONG way to ask for help and The CORRECT way to ask for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alevice
You may never stop our bioweapon! We mexicans shall rule the third world! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Please acknowledge that I use Mac and avoid suggesting vJass and other tools that don't work on it. Thank you.
Tide-Arc Ephemera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 01:22 PM   #6
Kwah
Christmassy.

Submissions (4)

Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)Kwah will become famous soon enough (43)

In-game music with pitch can add so much to the game. (ie: Kodo Tag), without the music its not very entertaining: Add the music and . . .
Kwah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:34 PM   #7
TKF
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tide-Arc Ephemera
Doom running at default pitch. Best epic boss music evaaaarrr.
I'm heard the doom music so many times at default pitch, that I got tired of it. So I think most wc3 players... maybe it's just me; but I like high pitch cuz it gives more tempo feeling!!!
Old 10-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #8
Joker
User

Joker will become famous soon enough (32)Joker will become famous soon enough (32)

I usually have the warcraft sounds turned off and listen to my own tunes while I play. I don't think its worth the effort.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:43 AM   #9
Tide-Arc Ephemera

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

^ What he does, except I generally leave sound effects (with music turned off) on because I add sound cues in a lot of my maps.

If you're having troubles getting help on WC3C or anywhere at all, please have a look at...

Quote:
You may never stop our bioweapon! We mexicans shall rule the third world! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Please acknowledge that I use Mac and avoid suggesting vJass and other tools that don't work on it. Thank you.
Old 10-05-2008, 05:17 PM   #10
TKF
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker
I usually have the warcraft sounds turned off and listen to my own tunes while I play. I don't think its worth the effort.
I often leave wc3 music on while I play, so do many others.

....Well I saw the potential of pitched ingame wc3 music when I played Pain's Party map, which kinda give it a atmosphere

Since Rising_Dusk did mention he's not going to import any music, leaving only option 2 left, using ingame music. Well it depends if he's willing to implement the music... To bad he lacks sound...
Old 10-05-2008, 07:11 PM   #11
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

I'd be willing to use in-game music, but it's really tough to code it and test it without sound on my computer. If anything, I don't think it's a priority, maybe I'll figure out some way to do it in the future, but we'll see. I'm certainly not opposed to it, though, since some people do use WC3 sound.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:13 PM   #12
Tide-Arc Ephemera

Submissions (3)

Out of sheer curiosity, how can you have no sound? Not even headphones for an MP3 player or a walkman, no speakers, no nothing?

Quote:
Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #13
TKF
User

Quote:
... but it's really tough to code it and test it without sound on my computer.
I don't think it's hard to code it at all. Well I don't know jass, so that may be hard to code it...

I added the duration values in my suggestion list, but the sound won't overlap when being ordered to play while it's not finished, thus stopping the sound before looping again is necesary in the coding (Somehow pitched sound was messed up when i used this myself, so stopping is necesary before repeating the loop).

Also convert it to sound, not music when in the sound editor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tide-Arc Ephemera
Out of sheer curiosity, how can you have no sound? Not even headphones for an MP3 player or a walkman, no speakers, no nothing?
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKF
...I know a dude which never had sound on his computer and refused so; so if that is the case I kinda understand.
Could be also he works without sound to not get distract while working. Or other reasons...
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
Tide-Arc Ephemera

Submissions (3)

I think he means it's hard to code because he can't test it.

Quote:
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM   #15
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director

Submissions (27)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKF
I don't think it's hard to code it at all. Well I don't know jass, so that may be hard to code it...
It's very difficult to code it, since you have to sync it, test it, and know it sounds good. If I had sound, it would be easy as all of those problems would be nonexistent. Plus, I've never worked with sound in WC3 before particularly because I don't have sound on my computer. :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tide-Arc-Ephemera
My sound card works, my speakers work, but my headphone jack is broken in. Basically, my computer thinks that headphones are always plugged in even when they're not, so it refuses to play it out of the speakers. If there is some magickal computer voodoo that I can use to fix it, lay it on me and I'll be forever grateful. By the way, I use a laptop and have taken it apart, the headphone jack is under the motherboard and I don't care to risk my computer for something only quasi-useful like sound.