wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Hosted Projects > Obsidian Depths
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 AM   #16
aaero
User

aaero has little to show at this moment (9)

@ Rising_Dusk

I understand - you shouldn't ever do anything you honestly think damages the integrity of the game. I only say something because I'm just reporting my experiences - the game is chock full of custom heroes with a custom stat system...that can be a lot to take in (60 seconds or not).

I hope you can find a good way to take care of it, though! There aren't enough of this type of map!

Hmm, it's kind of liberating to post in spoiler tags! I feel somehow good, clean!
aaero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #17
holyadvocate
User

holyadvocate is on a distinguished road (19)

I have also noticed the lack of (and potential for) Dungeon Crawlers, and had begun making one.
Id always thought Blizzard had expected and hoped for more quality, action RPG maps to be on B.Net... I had...

However, i plan on trying this one out, it looks and sounds very well done.

as for the "problems" with the classes and names, I dont find them that bad, however, when people see names like "Paladin" and "Berserker" they DO have expectations, it is somewhat unfair to give names like that to heroes with abilities and playstyles outside the norm.

I would give them names outside of the basics (Priest, Paladin, Warrior, Berserker, Mage). Not changing the classes themselves, just the names.

if you cant be bothered to go through all the effort of coming up with interesting and novel names (understandable) or just cant come up with any, I am more than willing to do it for you.

Other than that... If there is anyone who generally plays on Lordearon (US West... i think thats right), if youd like to set up a game, id be more than willing to join (I cant host ). Ill make a thread for game finding aswell....
holyadvocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:29 PM   #18
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

@ WaterKnight

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterKnight
I think by paying attention to the left-sided hero portraits that change permanently would be even more chaotic. I would probably often heal false ones as they can refresh themselves with normal regeneration and potion, berserker and hunter also have their abilities and there might be another paladin. But more importantly, healing everytime a hero is down is not very efficient because it depends on the situation: they may go down right after again or saving or using the spell at another point may be more useful. So anyway, i have to be aware of the battle (not only for healing). I could only think of it as an alarm display to show that there is somebody on low hitpoints. Despite, actually, I had not any problems to see through the situation in the past playing paladin and I did this not only a few times and even with public full house and additional skeletons from necromancers, if the players do not spread out too much that is.
So what you're saying is that the way you play a healer would not change at all, really. Even without the icons at the left of your screen, you're going to need to (as a paladin) discern whether that dude at low life needs a heal or if he's going to use a potion. It's tough to make that call, no matter what. The only purpose the icons have is that it makes it easier to see the life and status of allies, it's just for accessibility.

Quote:
By the way, we (me and a friend) have played the map maybe like 25 times in open battle.net and got several times to level 5 (0.10p). Well, we had to explain everything over and over but most of the people were astonishingly listening when we kept annoying them a bit part has liked the map, too, and joined remakes.
That's cool! I find the map is really easy to learn since the skills are so fundamental in how they work. It's not tough to understand what the attributes do or the armor/weapon stats, either. The toughest part is remembering to read that little note that plays across the screen at the beginning of each level which explains the basic gist of the level. If you miss that, your first time around can sometimes be tricky as you don't know what's going on. (The game's really fast paced!) It takes a lot less getting used to than an AoS, though, for what it's worth.

Quote:
As another low hitpoint indicator I would propose that the affected ones change there vertex coloring continually between normal and a slight red like an alarm siren (could be only visible for healer or be set on/off as option).
That would look quite silly, though. Changing the color of a hero as he got weaker isn't intuitively relevant to his current HP situation, nor is it aesthetically pleasing. (Bright red sorceress would look terrible, for instance) I genuinely think the icons is the most solid and intuitive solution to this issue.

@ holyadvocate

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyadvocate
as for the "problems" with the classes and names, I dont find them that bad, however, when people see names like "Paladin" and "Berserker" they DO have expectations, it is somewhat unfair to give names like that to heroes with abilities and playstyles outside the norm.

I would give them names outside of the basics (Priest, Paladin, Warrior, Berserker, Mage). Not changing the classes themselves, just the names.
And those expectations are met to reasonable accuracy. I'm not going to rename the Berserker to "Tank" just because that's something he's good at doing. You don't name a hero after its role, you design and name a hero then develop him a role from the design. Anyways, I really don't think it is a problem, we've got a Sorceress, Paladin, Hunter, Archer, Necromancer, and Berserker. Those are pretty intuitive, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by holyadvocate
if you cant be bothered to go through all the effort of coming up with interesting and novel names (understandable) or just cant come up with any, I am more than willing to do it for you.
I could quite easily if I wanted to, but I feel the class titles and roles as I have laid them out are both intuitive, as-expected, and logical. The fact I wanted a melee healer doesn't make the paladin any less of a paladin, for instance.

@ aaero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaero
I understand - you shouldn't ever do anything you honestly think damages the integrity of the game. I only say something because I'm just reporting my experiences - the game is chock full of custom heroes with a custom stat system...that can be a lot to take in (60 seconds or not).

I hope you can find a good way to take care of it, though! There aren't enough of this type of map!
Yeah, I'll figure something out. Maybe I'll just write a quest log and tell people to read it if they're confused. :p

Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 AM   #19
Meddle
User

Meddle has little to show at this moment (0)

Personally I find the necromancer to be a waste of space.

I would love to find him replaced with a druid. (heal over time, buff, debuff, something else nifty)

I'm not picky, but I do sincerely believe in what grim said
Quote:
Also, having two healing classes tends to double the number of healers playing in each game. That way you don't need several people playing Paladins just to bring enough healing to win.

I also believe that a priest would be lame, but not as lame as there being only one healing class. A single target HoT and a debuff would be wonderful :]
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #20
azngamer64
User

azngamer64 has little to show at this moment (0)

well if we are gonna start talking about names, i found hunter the most bizarre. I totally saw him as a rogue or an assassin. I see hunters as tracking the boss, laying down traps, a bow/melee doesnt really matter i can see both working.

Paladin - i see no reason to change it, its nice having a healer with a hefty amount of health instead of some squishy priest especially when there are a lot of bashing adds. The healing mod seems unnecessary, u should be able to tell from a enemy health bar and a allied health bar, and determine if they need a heal or not based on positioning.
azngamer64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 04:53 PM   #21
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

I think having centralized roles is critical for a map like this. There's only one healer, there's only one magickal-damage AOE caster, there's only one summoner, there's only one single-target killer, etc. That's why I really only want the Paladin. Additionally, there are 2 of each primary attribute, hence part of why I chose a Paladin as opposed to a Priest.

It is with fewer classes that each class sees more usage. They each serve a role which can fit a player's perspective. It also changes the metagame a lot based on what classes are selected. Granted a healer is pretty damned important, it generally is, the Paladin sees a lot of play as a result. This is not poor design, this is actually exactly as it should be with a map like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azngamer64
well if we are gonna start talking about names, i found hunter the most bizarre. I totally saw him as a rogue or an assassin. I see hunters as tracking the boss, laying down traps, a bow/melee doesnt really matter i can see both working.
In the same light, you are using how other games interpret 'hunter' to describe this game's. A hunter is one who hunts, and if he happens to hunt out single, big targets, then it fits the class' role flawlessly. Assassin would also work and I had considered it, but I felt like Hunter better fit the map's atmosphere.