wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map Testing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 06-20-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
Matarael
User

Submissions (2)

Matarael will become famous soon enough (49)Matarael will become famous soon enough (49)

Default War in Lürga Laszda v 2.92 AI

This Hero Defense (AOS) map will probably not pass through selection here because but I'd LOVE to get your opinions on it.

It's a large AOS with 72 Heroes (36 for each side) and most have triggered spells. I try to keep the spells as original yet simple as possible, in keeping with the original, in-game spells. So no "for every 30 hp's lost during the duration of the spell, the units will gain 2 x mana x 3 Agi of the Hero" or something as confusing as that.

The items use the recipe system, and some abilities are related to the items.

A lot of people whose stuff are used are properly credited, and I hope I haven't missed any (the credits are in game). These people usually say "credit me properly if you're using these" and I have done so.

Some models, icons, a handful of abilities, and the base of the AI is inspired by the people here and in the old Wc3sear.ch, but the map itself is made by me alone.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg War in LL Screenshots.jpg (636.7 KB, 48 views)
Attached Files
File Type: w3x War in LL 2.92.w3x (1.70 MB, 25 views)
Matarael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:20 PM   #2
moyack
Evil Emoticon

Respected User
Project Leader: PoC

Submissions (17)

moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)moyack is a splendid one to behold (666)

AI Tournament #2 - 2nd PlaceHero Contest - Second place

Send a message via MSN to moyack

Wrong Forum, it should be posted in the map testing section.

Moving it for you.
moyack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:45 PM   #3
Matarael
User

Submissions (2)

Matarael will become famous soon enough (49)Matarael will become famous soon enough (49)

Oh sorry. I thought I need to post it there if I was trying to add it to the Maps category (not just for testing).

That was really fast of you, by the way o_O
Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #4
BBDino
Wc3c's resident llama.

BBDino has a spectacular aura about (95)BBDino has a spectacular aura about (95)BBDino has a spectacular aura about (95)BBDino has a spectacular aura about (95)

It might be prudent to get some feedback from this forum before throwing it to the lions: the map reviewers can be... harsh sometimes.

I'll test it in a sec in SP and give some quick feedback: should give me an idea of where this stands quality wise.

Just so you know, however, AoS maps need to be quite exceptional to make it into the database.

Edit: Had a much longer review, but accidentally deleted it, so I'll summarise.

- For a map to be accpeted on wc3c it needs a certain "X-factor".
- This map, at the end of the day, amounts to not a lot more than a DotA clone, albeit a polished one.
- It therefore lacks a point of difference from other AoS maps and will not be accepted.
- I'll conclude by saying this map freaked me out: so much effort has obviously gone into it, yet the basic idea behind it seems to be little more than "make a second DotA", which is clearly not a great place to start.

Last edited by BBDino : 06-21-2007 at 09:01 AM.
BBDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 AM   #5
Matarael
User

Submissions (2)

:D Thanks for the comment.

The turn to it having so much resemblance to DotA is due to popular demand. It started out longer and more unit based, but became more and more... the way it is.. as people's suggestions steer it that way.

Oh well. Again thanks. Such comment coming from someone here really means a lot :D
Old 06-21-2007, 10:42 AM   #6
Aray
Concepter & Writer

Aray will become famous soon enough (44)Aray will become famous soon enough (44)

One of the things that makes me try other AoS maps besides dota is the faint hope of them being easier to finish quicker, but still be fairly well balanced. If you can pull this off (the average game takes about 25-45 minutes) then I'll be sure to give you a good praising.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
Matarael
User

Submissions (2)

This map is pretty fast. If you want really fast then play 5 againts 5 (use the AI). They will attack relentlessly.
The thing about this map is that I tried to make it as easy to get into as possible. Meaning that even if you've never played an AOS map before, everything should be easy to understand and follow. The items and abilities too.

As for balance, well that's why I put this map here. I've been balancing it since version 2.60, but it's pretty tricky. I hope it is balanced now. If not, then you can tell me about it :D

Thanks for trying it!
Old 07-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #8
lScorpionl
User

lScorpionl has little to show at this moment (2)

Nice map! Nice ideas for choice!!!
lScorpionl is offline   Reply With Quote