wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map / Campaign Projects
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 12-29-2005, 02:04 PM   #1
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

Default Glory - the rise to.

This is a game concept that has been running around in my mind for quite some time now, not nescesarily for a wc3 map or a wc3 map series, but a game concept nevertheless. What i will post here now is a general overvieuw of the idea and i will not go into details, allthough i wish to do so at a later point in time.

------

The game is set in a fantasy world. Within this world there are several groupings of people, empires, roving bands and evil strongholds. These all have they're likes and dislikes, especially towards eachother. Its a living and breathing world with its own politics and scirmishes.

What you do, is choose a hero of one of these groups. It could be a noble knight fighting for the kings honour, a farmer defending his land or a pirate pillaging loot. As you explore this brave new world, you will make name for yourself. As your legend grows, so does your band of followers. Eventually, you will be able to gather an army behind your own banner so grand, you will found your own empire, or raze others to the ground.

---

Depending on what 'kind of people' your hero belongs to, you will have diffrent kinds of people following you. Where a farmer with a good speech might be able to rally his fellow villagers to fend of roving bandits, there the noble knight will be given command over a couple of soldiers, or the evil magician who will randomly murder and force his victoms to follow after death.

but the choice of how will be relatively free. Yes, as an evil mage it will be harder to get a couple of noble men to follow you then a brave knight, but with a bit of pursuation and corruption it could verry well be done. Also, as a farmer you might have an intense disgust for zombies, but if you can somehow use them to better your objectives... you could always ditch them later.

---

Experience is given out in the form of 'Reputation', as your reputation grows, so will the potentinal size of your army, but you will be able to purchase and learn more powerfull spells and abilities as well. Along your journy to greatness, you will also find items and artifacts of great power that can be used to fight, and eventually ofcourse create your own banner and declare the land as yours.

---

In short how the game is played:
You start out with a single hero.
As you do quests and kill enemies, you gain more followers and better abilities.
When your army reaches an X size, you can claim land and setup a city for your people to live in.
you gather recourses, and expand your land and army.
you win the game by either uniting all people to your banner, or destroy all those who dare oppose you. or a combination of both

to compate with other games, the game has a following structure:
RPG like Diablo II -> basic RTS with no base -> RTS with base and recources -> Civalisation style empire management.

but still even in the end, battles will be in real time and your powerfull hero will still play a crucial role in it.

----

if you have read all of this, i applaude you. comments and suggestions are welcome, especially a lore is what this needs :P
Old 12-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #2
PlasticAngel
AWWWWW YEEEEEEEE

Respected User

Submissions (3)

PlasticAngel has a spectacular aura about (144)

Cool idea, if you do it wc3 and need some uber sexsy terrain I'm your man! <3 to the erw!
Old 12-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #3
Xeth-Ban
User

Submissions (1)

Xeth-Ban will become famous soon enough (61)Xeth-Ban will become famous soon enough (61)Xeth-Ban will become famous soon enough (61)

hmmm sounds like an rpg game rather than something warcraft, but a cool idea anyways (i would love being an evil mage ^^)
Xeth-Ban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 03:01 PM   #4
Blade.dk

Respected User

Submissions (15)

Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)Blade.dk is a glorious beacon of light (418)

Approved Map: Azeroth's Arcane ArenaSpell session 01 winner

Send a message via MSN to Blade.dk

I like the idea. But yeah, lore is needed to make it perfect.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Murder1833
User

Murder1833 has little to show at this moment (7)

Send a message via AIM to Murder1833 Send a message via MSN to Murder1833

Yeah, sounds way good. I'd love it to be wc3. And yes, I to think that lore would be needed.
Murder1833 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 05:06 PM   #6
[niro]
User

Submissions (1)

[niro] will become famous soon enough (35)[niro] will become famous soon enough (35)

I believe various forms of this idea have been done before, although not to this extent, and they weren't made very well.

This is a good idea, Although playing time may be an issue, IMO a game that takes over an hour is a waste of time. Make sure it doesn't get stuck into the cycle of monotony(spelling?) Anyway, this has alot of potential. Postive and negative, im sure you can weed out the potential crappy gameness though erwt. If you need any help I see what I can do.

Edited by Tim.: Removed color
Old 12-29-2005, 05:26 PM
Blade.dk
This message has been deleted by Blade.dk.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #7
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

sorry to say it, coloring your post as a whole is forbidden.

as i said, this is not nescesarily meant as a wc3 map project. if it would be a game, the single player gampaign would take quite some time to complete all together, there will be limited choice of heros and the storyline will be mapped out with not too much freedom, it would be more meant as an introduction to the world and the game, and maybe even to gain extras (if a console game)

multiplayer would indeed be matches of under an hour, the rate at wich experience is gained would be amped up quite a bit so you are constantly in action. as in most rts-multimplayer games the emphasis would really be in 'getting your shit together' as fast as you can, and knowing the world (or in the case of multiplayer it would probubly be instanced maps) to where to get your henchmen and items would be important.

though, as i said, its just a concept now, i'm still working on the exact details-- especially as to story and types of people, but also issues like game pace are reather important.

To keep it interesting though, i do think that the single player campaigns should feel a bit epic, yet not too huge. controlling over 40 units at a time just takes away a lot of the tactics that small battles have.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Murder1833
User

I'd rather have you make it Wc3 so you can expand beyond limits. And look there, your 1/2 to 1000 niro.

Anyways, making it as a whole different game would be harder and longer. Keeping production of the game short and simple (and having more gameplay options) would make it probely more fun. But that's my opinion, not your choice.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:24 PM   #9
[niro]
User

Submissions (1)

[niro] will become famous soon enough (35)[niro] will become famous soon enough (35)

I must have missed the part about it being a completely seperate game, I believe it would be much easier to use wc3, because it's such a great mod engine. Ever hear of the video game Shadow of the Colossus, atleast I think thats what it is, that game is epic in every sense of the name. If you wanted to check that out.

And I didn;t even realize I had 500 posts, this being my 501st, 499 more to go!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:30 PM   #10
Murder1833
User

Never heard of it. Platform? I might check it out. Nvm I'll google it.

Yeah, a new game all in itself might be nice too. Just being something new, and lots of the times, big mods like these on wc3 don't always get so far. And with a new game all together, it will be harder to do, but with that it should be more impressive and the crew will realize that and want to work harder and finish it. So either way, it should turn out great (if it turns out).
Old 12-31-2005, 08:22 AM   #11
Vig0r
Crabpork

Vig0r has a spectacular aura about (80)Vig0r has a spectacular aura about (80)Vig0r has a spectacular aura about (80)

Send a message via MSN to Vig0r

I've already said its a nice idea, brother dearest but i have some things to say.

You should think about making it in first person, or atleast giving the option to go in first person. It has some advantages above a birdvieuw. You get more sucked into the game, you can put more detail in your "henchman", and if your armies are small and you command them squad-ish, it'll be way more action pumped and it'll require a bit more skill.

Offcourse, if you go RTS-ish it'll require more tactical insight. Its just tacticl insight v.s detail and action.

If you need me, I can help out as always.
Vig0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 11:54 AM   #12
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

in a tactical shooter when you have a squad of maybe 5 men, that would be a nice alternative, though when commanding 10 or more, wich you will eventually do, you will need a better overvieuw of the whole.

there could be a simple camera adjustment feet, one showing the classic RTS birdsvieuw and one having a more 3rd person vieuw centered around your main hero-dude-guy.

though the squad-based commands sound inetersesting i must admit, i think it will be too hard to position your units right, unless you make all kinds of pre-made macro commands for it. but seeing that you will be able to have a verry wide veriaty of commanded units, this will be kind of hard...
Old 01-02-2006, 11:54 PM   #13
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

okay, before i'll get into game mechanics some more (like interface, recources, that kinda thing) i would like to spill some beans about several ideas for cultures, peoples and how they would relate.

i drew up a little concept of a map to clearify some things that will be said. note that this map is undetailed, unfinalized and pretty much has no names yet... at all.

in this world we see here there are several 'great forces' at work, and several smaller ones that are either neutral or just not really involved in anything...

lets start off to at the northeast point we see here. Located there is the great temple, or cathedral. It is the pinacle of a human faction that believes strongly in they're faith, to such an extend even that they despise non-believers, and feel it is they're dutie to rid the world of them.
Lacking any real military force, they are strong with magic and verry manipulative and persuasive, especially to the weak minds of thugs and commoners.

as we go further south we get to an island. this island is home to the Anniah (wip name) race, a race of smart animal-like humanoids. They are verry in-tune with nature and like to stick to they're own island and not meddle in the affairs of the humans, however some adventurous Anniah are known to travel the globe, and emmissaries are represented throughout the world. Have a strong hate for Monsters, but animals side with them.

back on the middle north, we have the pinnacle of human civilisation. In the middle we have the Noble capital, where a strickt regime is held and the king and most other important figures would be. has a great military force at it's disposal, that spends most its time fighting among eachother as lords fight over land. nobles support the faith of the guys in the temples, but not to such an extremnist extend. both like to think they control eachother.

also throughout these lands, scattered throughout the world are the common people, farmers, miners and other trades is what they do best. they easely succomb to any regime put over them, as long as it will let themn live they're lives. verry skillfull tradesmen are among them.

in the southwest we have another great empire of humans, lets call them pirates for now. they too have a sizable army and are pretty much at constant war with the nobles. these humans tend more towards darker faith, and do not scare alliances with magical or 'heathen' creatures. they are great sailors.

the sand people indicated are pretty much just commoners, but with diffrent culture and looks. so are the miners.

and finally we have the base of evil. not verry diffrent from the guys at the temple really, they too believe that they're faith is the only true faith and that all heathens should be disposed of. they too like to manipulate other peoples to do the fighting, though they both do it at slightly diffrent ways. (where a monk might 'persuade' a man, evil would just kill and resurrect)

and finally we have a lot of monsters in a desert, roving sand people. as the sand people dont really have a great empire or lord protecting them, and the evil dudes dont consider them important enough and will only support them when they are needed, they are constatly fighting. Some Aniah are known to help.

----

to get to the point of this, choosing wich 'race' you play with has a big impact on what peoples might join you, and even how they will. For example, as an Anniah, Monks, monsters and evil-do-ers will be eager to attack you, while sand people might instantly come to your aid, commoners can always be easely pursuaded, but at the right price (ex:though quests or mercinaries) some pirates or nobles might come with you.
Old 01-03-2006, 12:12 AM   #14
Whitehorn
SPOON!

Respected User

Submissions (114)

Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)Whitehorn is a name known to all (510)

Pirates live on boats!

Be excellent to each other.
Whitehorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 06:45 AM   #15
Hyarion
User

Hyarion is on a distinguished road (14)

If you need a third person camera, I can post a really good one that you can rotate with the arrow keys.