wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Town Hall > Site Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-22-2015, 05:06 PM   #16
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNfraNe
So... what does this actually do? I'm unfamiliar :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyrbi0
And even just recently, when I needed a unit that wouldn't accidentally be selected in combat (but was still 'partially selectable'), ...
The hidden Neutral ability "Factory" is amazing; it basically lets the given Unit create X type of Unit every Y seconds with Z offset; essentially a passive, hidden version of the Goblin Tinker's "Pocket Factory" ability. It would be AMAZING for a whole host of usages... If not for one tiny little hard-coded "feature":

The given Unit becomes (what I like to call) "selectively (partially) unselect-able". That is to say, my tests have revealed that a Player can only select a given Unit by directly clicking on them; "mass-selection" (i.e. the big green selection box) does not work, it ignores the given Unit.

This, I surmise, was due to the fact that Blizzard was originally using this as the base for the "Pocket Factory" ability (so the Tinker's PF would summon a little Factory, which would itself have the ability), then forgot about it when they folded the "factory" functionality into the summon of the summoning ability itself. I presume that they wanted to keep the Player from accidentally selecting the Factory (an immobile, non-military unit; essentially a ward) in a group in battle.

Super-annoying, is all I can say.

But anyway, that kind of "selective unselectability" was perfect for what I wanted to accomplish, so I "neutered" the ability by making it spawn dummies that instantly perished, meaning all that the ability really did was bestow the aforementioned selection 'issues'.

/blogpost
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #17
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe

Wait...

So if you would use locust and then use the invisible/removeability/visible trick to bring back the pathability without bringing back direct clicks, and then add this ability... we would have an unselectable unit which would show up in groupenums?
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
iNfraNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:15 PM   #18
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

According to the Ability Guide, the hide/remove/unhide trick only prevents the healthbar and player name from displaying on mouseover, while direct click selection (presumably) still works.

Last edited by Anitarf : 01-22-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 11:06 PM   #19
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNfraNe
Wait...

So if you would use locust and then use the invisible/removeability/visible trick to bring back the pathability without bringing back direct clicks, and then add this ability... we would have an unselectable unit which would show up in groupenums?
I don't know enough about that. I never (needed to) use(d) that trick.

Would that be a good thing?
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #20
iNfraNe
PhD

Cinematics Moderator

Submissions (7)

iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)iNfraNe is just really nice (266)

Approved Map: Mortar Ball

Send a message via MSN to iNfraNe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
According to the Ability Guide, the hide/remove/unhide trick only prevents the healthbar and player name from displaying on mouseover, while direct click selection (presumably) still works.
Well, then the abilityguide is wrong. you can only select the units by dragselect.
The Spirit of Vengeance (Cinematic, Blizzard contest winner)
Elimination Tournament
Mortar Ball
iNfraNe is offline   Reply With Quote