wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Warcraft Editing Tools
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 07:13 PM   #1
Starcraftfreak
PR & UMSWE Developer

Respected User

Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)

Send a message via ICQ to Starcraftfreak Send a message via AIM to Starcraftfreak Send a message via MSN to Starcraftfreak

Warcraft III Editing Tools FAQ

Before you ask any question in the forums you should at least read the tutorials and read this FAQ. Reading the readme files of programs is sometimes also a big help.

General Questions

Q: Where can I get all RoC/TFT patches (including previous versions)?
A:
The following links direct you to Blizzards FTP server. There are different locations for the PC and Mac patches.

PC:
Reign of Chaos Patches
The Frozen Throne Patches

Mac:
Reign of Chaos Patches
The Frozen Throne Patches

Q: How to open RAR files properly (I can't open them or have problems opening them)?
A:
There is a lot of tools available that can open RAR files. Technically the tool has to support the RAR 2.9 format.
Among others, these tools are capable of opening RAR files (this file format that is used for the download on this site):
PowerArchiver
WinRAR

Tool Related Questions

Q: I can't run WinMPQ without getting an error. How to install it correctly?
A: Installing WinMPQ:

1) Downloading the required files:
Go to http://shadowflare.gameproc.net/dwnload.html#WinMPQ
Download all files where it says "Required Files".
These are:
- WinMPQ: http://shadowflare.gameproc.net/cgi-...cgi?WinMPQ.zip
- Visual Basic 4 Runtime: http://shadowflare.gameproc.net/download/Vbr4.zip
- Runtime Files Pack 3: http://shadowflare.gameproc.net/download/RunPack3.zip

2) Installing WinMPQ and the required components:
- Installing Visual Basic 4 Runtime:
Extract all the files from vbr4.zip into some temporary folder. Then run setup.exe. If the setup is done you should delete the temporary files.

- Installing Runtime Files Pack 3:
The same as above for RunPack3.zip. Be sure that, if you use the same temporary folder as before, you have deleted the files extracted from vbr4.zip to avoid any conflicts.

- Installing WinMPQ:
Just extract all the files from WinMPQ.zip into a directory (I'd suggest to use something like
C:\Program Files\WinMPQ\). Run WinMPQ.exe to test if it works.

Q: Whenever I extract files from war3.mpq using WinMPQ, they are corrupted in some way. What can I do?
A: Check the version of WinMPQ. If it is older than 1.60 you will get problems like this. Anyway, I recommend to use the most recent version, which can be found at shadowflare.gameproc.net/dwnload.html#winmpq.

Q: When I open a MPQ file with MPQView, no files are displayed at all (or files that should be inside an archive are not displayed). What shall I do?
A: Use the appropriate listfiles. You can open a listfile by clicking File -> Open Data File... . Select a listfile and click Open. If your MPQView didn't come with listfiles, you can download them at http://scfreak.0catch.com/mpqr.html#lists.

Q: How to install Yobguls Warcraft III File Converter correctly?
A: I created an installer for it, which should make it work. You can get it here.

Q: I can't run Image Extractor II without getting an error. How to install it correctly?
A:
1) Download it.
2) Extract it into a sepparate folder (e.g.: C:\Program Files\Warcraft III\Image Extractor\).
3) Copy storm.dll and ijl15.dll from your Warcraft III directory to your Image Extractor directory.
4) If you don't have the Visual Basic 4 Runtime files installed (the same are needed for WinMPQ), then download and install them.

Q: Is there a list of tools available?
A: Yes, go here.

Q: Where can i find the WE Enchancer (also called Blink!), the X-Tra Editor or the GoldenUrg trigger patch?
A: Blink!, X-Tra and the GoldenUrg trigger patch are deprecated. The topical advanced WEs are UMSWE and WE Unlimited. They have the features of the old WE enchancers as well as a lot of new advanced editing capabilities.

Q: How can I edit the path of the icon or the model of a unit?
Use UMSWE. With it you can edit the path of the model and the icon. If you have RoC 1.10 (or higher) or TFT (any version) you can do this without UMSWE.

Q: Where can I get UMSWE 3.6?
Go to www.umsmaps.com/files/. Select UMSWE3.6.zip. Only download UMSWE 3.6 if you use RoC 1.06 or below. For RoC 1.10 (or higher) or any version of TFT you have to use UMSWE 3.7 or higher. The most topical version of UMSWE can be found at the Official UMSWE Homepage.

Q: How to use external listfiles in WinMPQ?
Run WinMPQ, go to the Options menu, tab "File Lists". There you can add external listfiles that should be applied for every MPQ archive.

MPQ Related Questions

Q: Is it necessary to put the files into their appropriate directory inside a MPQ file (including maps)?
A: Yes, it's absolutely necessary. Otherwise Warcraft III or the WE can't use the files.

Q: Is it possible to implement files into maps instead into the MPQ files (war3.mpq, War3Patch.mpq) that they are used by the game?
A: Yes, for the most files it is possible, only some (e.g.: Units\MiscData.txt) are not loaded from a map. Since maps are MPQ files you can add files to it with MPQ editors like WinMPQ. If you have TFT, you can also use the Import Manager to import files into the map. Don't forget to use the appropriate folders (the folder structure must be the same as in war3.mpq, war3x.mpq, war3xlocal.mpq and War3Patch.mpq). Be aware of the fact that the maximum limit of files inside a normal map is 64. If you use the Import Manager, this limit doesn't apply.

Q: Is there a list of those files available, which don't have any effect if they are implemented into a map?
A:
- Units\MiscData.txt
- Units\CommandFunc.txt
- All files inside the UI folder

Q: Is there a way to overide the 64 files limit for maps?
A: Yes. Before you start messing with your map make a backup of it. After saving the map in the WE (which means it contains only the standard map files plus files imported by the WE), open it with a MPQ editor (I suggest WinMPQ) and extract all files except of (listfile). Create a new MPQ file and add all files you want to add to the map plus the files you extracted from the map. From here on there are two ways to procede:
1.Way: Open the map and the created MPQ file in a HEX editor. Copy the first 512 bytes from the map and insert it at the beginning of the MPQ file. Save it. Change the file extension of the MPQ file to W3M.
2.Way: Alternatively you can use MPQ Embedder instead of a HEX Editor. Open the map with MPQEmbedder (File -> Open...). Hit "Remove MPQ". Then click at "Add". Select the MPQ file you created with the files of your map inside and click at "Open".
You should now be able to load the map in the World Editor.

Misc Editing Questions

Q: How can I convert images to BLP format?
A: Use "WC3 Image Extractor II" to convert images (TGA) to BLP. Start the Image Extractor, Click Open -> Image, select a TGA image to convert and click Open to open the image. Then click Save -> Image, select an output type (BMP, JPG, TGA), enter a name for the file and click Save.

Q: What is up with these MPQ files inside the Movies folder of the Warcraft III directory?
A: These files are the cinematics of Warcraft III. They are Divx encoded AVI files with a resolution of 800x368. To view them in an external media player (e.g.: Windows Media Player, Real One Player), you have to change their file extension to AVI and open them in a player. The DivX Codec is required for this. You can get it here. In addition to this Warcraft III must be installed on the computer which shall play the movies.

Q: Is it possible to replace the cinematics of Warcraft III?
A: Yes. You don't even have to use the DivX video codec although it's recommended, because of a few reasons:
- DivX encoded videos are far smaller that uncompressed videos.
- If the video hasn't a 800x368 resoltion, Warcraft III will resize it while playing, which results in a smoother output. Uncompressed videos, which haven't a 800x368 resolution will not be resized while playing and the quality is bad.
Anyway, you get the best quality if you convert your video to 800x368 before. The audio codec is not that important, but with MP3 you can save some MB of size.

Quote:
Example:
Original File: Demn_M.smk (Warcraft II): 5.661.496 Bytes (5,39 MB), Resolution: 320x288

Converted Files:
1) Video Codec none (uncompressed), Audio Codec: PCM, Resolution 320x288, Size: 97.372.160 Bytes (92,8 MB), Quality: bad, Overall rating: very bad
2) Video Codec: none (uncompressed), Audio Codec: PCM, Resolution 800x368, Size: 305.477.120 Bytes (291 MB), Quality: excellent, Overall rating: very bad
3) Video Codec: DivX, Audio Codec: PCM, Resolution 320x288, Size: 3.609.088 Bytes (3.44 MB), Quality: good, Overall rating: good
4) Video Codec: DivX, Audio Codec: MP3, Resolution 320x288, Size: 1.317.888 Bytes (1,25 MB), Quality: good, Overall rating: very good
5) Video Codec: DivX, Audio Codec: PCM, Resolution 800x368, Size: 4.264.960 Bytes (4,06 MB), Quality: excellent, Overall rating: very good
6) Video Codec: DivX, Audio Codec: MP3, Resolution 800x368, Size: 1.973.760 Bytes (1,88 MB), Quality: excellent, Overall rating: excellent

To convert SMK to AVI (uncompressed) I used RAD Video Tools. To convert the same video into AVI (DivX) I converted the uncompressed AVIs with STOIK Video Converter to DivX format.
I used DivX 5.0.2 Pro with "1-pass quality based 100%" bitrate mode.
Note: For the 800x368 DivX file I used the 320x288 uncompressed AVI as source file, because then the resize setting of the DivX codec with the setting "Bicubic - sharp" creates better video quality in comparison to the same settings with the 800x368 uncompressed AVI as source file and no resize setting.
The quality is referred to use in Warcraft III in consideration of the fact that Warcraft III resizes DivX encoded videos at playing.

Last Update: 30.06.2004

Last edited by Starcraftfreak : 09-16-2003 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-10-2003, 06:07 PM   #2
Starcraftfreak
PR & UMSWE Developer

Respected User

Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)Starcraftfreak will become famous soon enough (66)

Send a message via ICQ to Starcraftfreak Send a message via AIM to Starcraftfreak Send a message via MSN to Starcraftfreak

If you have any question, that is not covered here, consult other forums here at WC3C or go to the following FAQs:
Elils World Editor FAQ
Battle.net Map Development FAQ

Last edited by Starcraftfreak : 09-16-2003 at 07:37 PM.
Closed Thread