wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Model & .Mdl Editing Corner
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 10-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
Rugholm
User

Rugholm has little to show at this moment (0)

Default Dex Script and 3dsm7

Hi. I've been playing around for some days, trying to get a developing environment up for some warcraft 3 modeling. I'm using 3d studio 7, and so far the Dex script seems to be the most suited for my use. I have a problem however: I can't get the texturing to work (guess you must be tired of hearing that.) What I do is just unwrap UVW and assign a texture to a material slot. After the export I edit the mdl to point to the texture blp, but I cant seem to get it to work. After reading a bit I've been trying stuff like texture\ and etc. but I've had no luck. Either it is covered in teamcolor, or it doesnt show at all.

Well, what I really want is some information about whether it is possible to make Dex's script actually write the texture and material information correctly by itself, if this is not possible I'll settle for how I can edit the mdl to make it work (or what I'm doing wrong at all.)

I'll post my test files, and thanks in advance for any help.
Attached Files
File Type: mdl box.mdl (3.6 KB, 16 views)
File Type: blp box.blp (20.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: max box.max (163.5 KB, 29 views)
Rugholm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 10-09-2008, 09:28 AM   #2
The Elite
For External Use Only

Submissions (6)

The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)The Elite will become famous soon enough (60)

As far as i know you cant get "Dex to save the texture name directly

once you have exported the model and saved as an .mdl open it in notepad and near the top there will be a line like this:

Code:
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "",
		ReplaceableId 1,
	}
}
Where it says Image "" put the texture name(or path and name) in there.

eg:
Code:
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "Footman.blp",
		ReplaceableId 1,
	}
}
or
Code:
Textures 1 {
	Bitmap {
		Image "Textures/Footman.blp",
		ReplaceableId 1,
	}
}

Goths are nerds that dress like vampires. -Dominant-Male
Oh, and wc3c wasn't dying back in 2007 and it isn't now. Our secret is simple: you can't kill the undead ... - Vexorian

We're definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It's not PillowfightCraft. - Chris Metzen on the Warcraft Movie
Man, we're considered elitist all over the internet. This makes me feel nice and warm inside. - ghenjis
Please help! I'll provide no information, you must guess! - Whitehorn

Last edited by The Elite : 10-09-2008 at 09:39 AM.
The Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
Rugholm
User

Thanks for your comment. Both code-snippets you suggest however result in my model just being covered in team color.
Old 10-09-2008, 05:16 PM   #4
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

He's a silly billy, that's why.

"ReplaceableId" overrides any texture path with whatever is programmed in there, so delete that line entirely.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:52 AM   #5
Rugholm
User

Thank you. That worked perfectly.