wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Tutorials > Modeling Tutorials
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 05-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !
Default 3DSM 5 Modifying Vertices of a War3 model

BTW, I hate this, but my 3dsmax is in spanish, I will try translating what says on any image I show you though.

Tools or programs you need:

* 3dsmax (best if 5)
* Yobgul's file converter: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=78916
* Phil Laing's(aka KMK) MDX Importer/Exporter: http://kmkdesign.8m.com/downloads/
And also here:impexpmdx.zip
* War3 Image Viewer: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=82558
* You don't need this one but it will be useful if you need paths for textures, it also exports .blp(the format of Blizzard Textures): http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=83092

Starting:

First thing you need is to export a .mdx file from War3 Image Viewer (How? Just load a .mpq file from your Wc3 directory and search for your model) For this tut I'm gonna use the sheep. It is on "war3.mpq" no quotes. The path is: "Units\Critters\Sheep\Sheep.mdx" There you can also find the portrait model (most of models have a different portrait file for freeing polys I guess( polys are the faces of each Wc3 model, with much polys Wc3 could crash, keep the polysize of your models the lower as possible) and in "Current File" options select "Extract MDX" select where woy want to export it.

Importing the model in 3dsmax

Open 3dsmax. Go to the utilites tab:

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	6836

Press MaxScript button. Then select the "MDX Importer/Exporter" tool. then you should see this:

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	6837

Check static and uncheck bone rotation. And then hit "Import MDX" button.

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	6838

Search for your sheep.mdx. open it. You should see something like this:

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	6839

you're done with importing!

Moving Vertices

This part is the main and the simplest! ^^. Ok right click our sheep. In the options go to Convert to---> Convert to Editable Mesh. In the Selection paramater choose the option of the three dots:

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	6840

the sheep should look like this:

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	6841

Now you can select vertices as you want, move them, scale them, rotate them, do what you will with our sheep.

Exporting the modified model

When you finish your modifications you should export the model in MDX, the tool just imports one geoset a time, so go to the utilities tab and to the import/export utility we used before. And select the Export selected as MDX tool.

Select anywhere.

Changing the MDX in text

Even if you hate texts you will have to make this if you want it to work. First ope Yobgul's File Converter. Load each mdx file(the original and the one you modified) and convert them to mdl. (MDL is a non-optimized form of the MDX so it is easier ot edit)

Open both files with notepad. In "Sheep1.mdl" goto the geoset. Only copy the vertices stuff, you should not copy the Vertex groups. Replace them in the Sheep.mdl first geoset (If the name of the modified geoset is Sheep2.mdl for example it should be the second geoset) And done. Now open again the File Converter and convert again the mdl into mdx.

Importing to WE

Open your world editor and go to the import manager. Import the mdx. Save the map. In the Object Editor change the model of any of the units. There you should see it if you did it well and enjoy i!

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts

Last edited by Mc ! : 05-31-2006 at 01:08 AM.
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-31-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
PitzerMike
Alcopops

Tools & Tutorials Moderator

Submissions (12)

PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)PitzerMike is a splendid one to behold (643)

Approved Map: Pitzer's Minesweeper

I'll get an artist to review this, but it looks good to me :)
Old 06-01-2006, 01:07 AM   #3
Tim.
Missing You All at Wc3c

Site Owner

Submissions (18)

Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)Tim. is a name known to all (503)

Approved Map: PiratesSpell making session 3 winner

As mentioned on MSN, approved.

Avast! Seen Pirates? Get it here!
Tim. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 04:52 AM   #4
Raq_Thao
User

Raq_Thao has little to show at this moment (0)

Sorry if this seems like a simple question, but I can't get the "MDX Importer/Exporter" tool to come up when i click the scripts button. I've copy and pasted it into "UI/macroscripts" just like it instructed but it still is giving me trouble... Thanks for the help!
Raq_Thao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:12 AM   #5
Mc !
Master Creator !

Acting art director
Project Member: WotTH

Submissions (101)

Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)Mc ! has a reputation beyond repute (1118)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd PlaceModeling session 2 - Chimeras

Send a message via MSN to Mc !

you should copy the script in the ".../3dsmax5/scripts/" directory

Awesomeness = #Rep / #Posts
Mc ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:00 PM   #6
Raq_Thao
User

Raq_Thao has little to show at this moment (0)

Thanx Mc! +rep
Raq_Thao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
D.V.D
User

Submissions (2)

D.V.D has little to show at this moment (8)

Were can I get 3ds Studio Max?
D.V.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:35 PM   #8
BlinkBoy
User

Respected User

Submissions (4)

BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)BlinkBoy has a spectacular aura about (97)

Outstanding Tutorial

Write 3dsmax N version, it can be done with any version of 3dsmax; I used this technik before the existance Vertex Modifier.

Learn to animate! check out my: Basic Animation Tutorial!

Currently working at a sequel to my animation tutorial.
BlinkBoy is offline   Reply With Quote