wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Skinning / Texturing > WIP Skins/Textures
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 01-29-2010, 10:12 PM   #1
Dentothor
User

Dentothor has little to show at this moment (2)

Default Demon Shoulderpad Upgrade Pack

Tier 1
Click image for larger version

Name:	BTNDemonShoulderUPG1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	47779Click image for larger version

Name:	DISBTNDemonShoulderUPG1.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	1.1 KB
ID:	47782

Tier 2

Name:	BTNDemonShoulderUPG2.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	2.0 KB
ID:	47780Click image for larger version

Name:	DISBTNDemonShoulderUPG2.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	1.3 KB
ID:	47783

Tier 3

Name:	BTNDemonShoulderUPG3.jpg
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	47781Click image for larger version

Name:	DISBTNDemonShoulderUPG3.jpg
Size:	1.5 KB
ID:	47784

Just a Few Icons that fit a Demonic Theme.
Please Give credit to Dentothor and please do not redistribute or modify without my permission.

~Dentothor
Attached Files
File Type: zip Demon Shoulderpad Upgrades.zip (50.8 KB, 4 views)
Dentothor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 01-29-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
azlier
User

azlier is on a distinguished road (10)

They look very 2 dimensional. They could easily be shields instead of pauldrons. And there's so much black space.

I also fail to see what makes them very demonic.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Dentothor
User

i had to come u with a name. idk. the name honestly doesn't matter and you can interpret it any way you wish.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:33 AM   #4
Veev
User

Veev will become famous soon enough (63)Veev will become famous soon enough (63)Veev will become famous soon enough (63)

They seem a little dull. Many of the War3 icons are very vibrant and have sharp, clear lines. I think the lines separating the red metal and the silver could use more definition, along with some luster to the silver metal so it looks shiny.
Veev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #5
mistertea
User

Submissions (6)

mistertea is on a distinguished road (13)

The spines are CnP,that doesn't look very good. The shoulderpads should use some gold, and maybe they should be wider
The coloring is good,but very monotone

Last edited by mistertea : 01-30-2010 at 02:14 PM.
mistertea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #6
Dentothor
User

spines are CnP? a assure you my good friend this is all freehand done myself. and i can post the 256 x 256 images if anyone wishes to see. and the monotone was part of the icon to make it look more dark and mysterious kind of thing.
Old 01-30-2010, 05:10 PM   #7
akolyt0r
In Flames

Submissions (3)

akolyt0r has a spectacular aura about (120)

its really quite monotone... the glow should have more variation, and it should not be excactly the same as the pauldron's main color.

I would for example not only use red (Tier 2 glow looks absolutely boring, but Tier 3 glow aswell could use some more color..) for the glow, but also some orange or yellow (so that it looks like fire, which would fit the demon theme quite well).

And since the Tier 1 icon looks really dull, i would start with Tier 2 (as Tier 1) and make another Icon as Tier 4 (new Tier3).
Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 PM   #8
mistertea
User

Submissions (6)

mistertea is on a distinguished road (13)

No,I assume you've done it freehand,what I meant was that tier 2 and tier 3 has the same spines, tier 2 has 1 and tier 3 has three identic spines
mistertea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 01:26 AM   #9
Fluff
or your money back!

Submissions (1)

Fluff will become famous soon enough (64)Fluff will become famous soon enough (64)Fluff will become famous soon enough (64)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistertea
No,I assume you've done it freehand,what I meant was that tier 2 and tier 3 has the same spines, tier 2 has 1 and tier 3 has three identic spines

I'm not sure why that is a problem...

But, as everyone else has said, the icons lack vibrancy and definition. The background and the glows are fine, it's the actually shoulder pad. Try to make them more textured and also more round looking so they appear as if they could actually fit around someone's shoulder.
Fluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:58 AM   #10
Archmage Owenalacaster
Laughs Derisively

Project Member: PoC

Submissions (1)

Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)Archmage Owenalacaster is a jewel in the rough (180)

Race-Building Contest #1 Winner

There is so much wasted black space. Blizzard's standard upgrade icons are filled with color and activity while they avoid (for the most part) looking too busy.
  • The shoulder pads lack texture or any detailing expressing the condition of the material.
  • The lighting is Plain White (most visible light is hardly white).
  • There is nothing that conveys it is a shoulder pad (like being on the shoulder of something).
  • Besides the obligatory sharp pointy bits there is nothing to indicate its origin in a demonic hellfire forge nor indications of any artistic craftsmanship common across all cultures (no runes, emblems, decoration, signature marks or such).
  • This is in addition to the other criticisms above.

So add some nicks, cuts, and abrasions. Make the lighting colored slightly; give it a sense of context and keep in mind how the color of light contributes to the color of the material. Make the shoulderpad part of some armor we can see a bit. Give it some design work; don't forget that evidence of our cultures are embedded in our artifacts.

Last edited by Archmage Owenalacaster : 02-01-2010 at 01:02 AM.
Archmage Owenalacaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

All of the points made thus far are valid ones. This will not be approved in its current state. If you'd like, I can move it to the WIP textures forum where it can be further developed.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:51 PM   #12
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Yeah, well, gonna move this to WIP textures to get some more work. PM me and let me know when it's ready to be moved back.
Old 02-06-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Dentothor
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archmage Owenalacaster
There is so much wasted black space. Blizzard's standard upgrade icons are filled with color and activity while they avoid (for the most part) looking too busy.
  • The shoulder pads lack texture or any detailing expressing the condition of the material.
  • The lighting is Plain White (most visible light is hardly white).
  • There is nothing that conveys it is a shoulder pad (like being on the shoulder of something).
  • Besides the obligatory sharp pointy bits there is nothing to indicate its origin in a demonic hellfire forge nor indications of any artistic craftsmanship common across all cultures (no runes, emblems, decoration, signature marks or such).
  • This is in addition to the other criticisms above.

So add some nicks, cuts, and abrasions. Make the lighting colored slightly; give it a sense of context and keep in mind how the color of light contributes to the color of the material. Make the shoulderpad part of some armor we can see a bit. Give it some design work; don't forget that evidence of our cultures are embedded in our artifacts.

wonderful ideas and that is actually incredibly helpful. ill try to get all of that done. :D