wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Artist's Discussion and Queries
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 02-06-2009, 01:16 AM   #1
Michael Peppers
Lepus?

Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)

Question [Request] Flying Hero Glow

Got a problem with a hero I'm using, it's meant to be a flying hero, I tried to use the hero glow on it, attached to "chest", and you can surely imagine what is the result: the aura is highly inappropriated with the model, its 2d nature gives the impression that the head is cut or sometimes that the head skin is of the same color of the glow, and when the unit's moving, its aura is moving in the same mode of the chest, so it becomes oval and a bit squished, and diagonal compared to the rest of the model.

The model of the hero I'm using is the "Harpy Queen" (I wonder if it's its name in english).

To be short, I'd really wanna know if someone ever created a sphere-like hero glow for flying heroes and, if it exists, where it can be downloaded.

If no-one has ever made something like this, could you please try doing something similar? Thanks

Last edited by Michael Peppers : 02-06-2009 at 01:23 AM.
Michael Peppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 02-06-2009, 02:10 AM   #2
Jazradel
Superuser

Submissions (1)

Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)Jazradel has a spectacular aura about (110)

Send a message via AIM to Jazradel Send a message via MSN to Jazradel

You could try attaching it to "origin". Will not look as good, but it would do the job.

I'm positive the model you want will already exist, probably over at the hiveworkshop somewhere.

Table:
Jump Map
Point System
Warcraft III Model Archive

W3 Model Archive should be available from https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cd5..._III_Resources, PM me if it doesn't work.
Jazradel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Michael Peppers
Lepus?

Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)Michael Peppers is a jewel in the rough (188)

Nope, didn't find it, so I'm stuck with 3 possibilities:

1. Attaching the hero glow to origin (I tried before but it doesn't fit as good as I want)
2. Use the wisp model as the glow? (stupid idea, but may work)
3. Wait, hoping that someone will think about a glow for flying heroes

Update:
I found out that "origin" and "chest" for Harpy Queen are the same point (strange, isn't it?)
The wisp model is inadequate, cause when I attach it, it's always over the hero's head, so it' like a "nimbus", more than a hero glow

Last edited by Michael Peppers : 02-06-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
The Dark One
User

The Dark One will become famous soon enough (25)

Give the hero a Hidden ability (use item abilities or the spell book trick) and give the ability's Caster effect the glow model. That should work properly. No, that didn't.

try the Tutorial adding hero glow at this site:

http://www.oinkerwinkle.com/tools/tutorials.html

and you can get the tools to do it here:

http://www.oinkerwinkle.com/tools/download.html

The glow model:
glow.mdx

Last edited by The Dark One : 02-06-2009 at 11:01 PM.
The Dark One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:31 AM   #5
Michael Peppers
Lepus?

I tried to add the glow with Oinkerwinkle's tools, you can see the result in the first attached image.

Tried also to make a new glow model and it works surely better than the normal glow, but it's not good either, as you can see in the second image.

I added comments about glow's problems in each image so you can see the problems like I do while in-game
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Normalglow.jpg (749.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Result.jpg (769.1 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-07-2009, 09:10 AM   #6
[CL]Shadow
User

[CL]Shadow has little to show at this moment (1)

Its not a great tip i can give you, but the guy who made eota got some flying heroes. Iam not sure if they have heroglow, but you should maybe ask him.
His name is Darnyak, and his forum is eota.co.nr the map is called Eota.

Maybe youre lucky and find him so you can ask how he solved the problem...
[CL]Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
Michael Peppers
Lepus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [CL]Shadow
Its not a great tip i can give you, but the guy who made eota got some flying heroes. Iam not sure if they have heroglow, but you should maybe ask him.
His name is Darnyak, and his forum is eota.co.nr the map is called Eota.

Maybe youre lucky and find him so you can ask how he solved the problem...

That could work, but I'd really want to avoid registering in another site only for a question.

Is there anybody of Eota registered in this forum? Or somebody registered in Eota's forum that can ask for the glow for me? Please...

Update: I found the problem, on the model I was using both its glow and the "hero glow" ability, now it looks like the image I attached.

A problem still remain, as you see: the glow doesn't follow hero's movements upwards and downwards, any idea?

Further Update:
I managed to do it myself, now it works correctly, I had to attach it to the "chest" bone of the model.
Anyway, + Rep to all the users that gave me suggestions and helped me with this (now solved ) problem.

Another thing, do you think it could be useful to other users? I'm thinking about submitting it as a resource in this forum...

I added the final result (final.jpg) and removed the other screen, it shows the glow with almost every color (except yellow, that got killed )

Ultimate Update:
Since I don't want to wait 600 seconds I'll post my new message here:

I just posted it in the submission forum: http://www.wc3campaigns.net/showthread.php?t=104517
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Final.jpg (214.0 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by Michael Peppers : 02-09-2009 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:03 AM   #8
Tide-Arc Ephemera
Overdoses result in death

Submissions (3)

Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)Tide-Arc Ephemera is a jewel in the rough (206)

Hm, I like this. A team glow for fliers that doesn't suck. Could you perhaps post its current state up? I'd appreciate it!

If you're having troubles getting help on WC3C or anywhere at all, please have a look at...
The WRONG way to ask for help and The CORRECT way to ask for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alevice
You may never stop our bioweapon! We mexicans shall rule the third world! Mwahahahahahahaha!
Please acknowledge that I use Mac and avoid suggesting vJass and other tools that don't work on it. Thank you.
Tide-Arc Ephemera is offline   Reply With Quote