wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-06-2009, 07:46 PM   #31
grim001
requires vJass

Code Moderator

Submissions (10)

grim001 is just really nice (277)grim001 is just really nice (277)

Send a message via AIM to grim001

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjlr3
you can really see a difference between .025 and .04 in game?

wow

The difference between 0.025 and 0.04 is huge, if you think you can't see it then it's because you haven't compared them side by side. Unless your WC3 runs at less than 25 FPS anyway.

Last edited by grim001 : 04-06-2009 at 07:46 PM.
grim001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #32
emjlr3
Rehabbing

Submissions (14)

emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)emjlr3 is a jewel in the rough (151)

Mapping Contest First Place

Send a message via AIM to emjlr3 Send a message via MSN to emjlr3

I wouldn't know how to compare them side by side

all I know is both look fluid when playing, what more do you need?

Last edited by emjlr3 : 04-06-2009 at 07:48 PM.
emjlr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:11 PM
Litany
This message has been deleted by Litany.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:20 PM   #33
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Agreed with Litany there, 0.04 is noticeably choppy for me. I never go above 0.025 in my spells.

Edit: I think the single-timer-runs-everything approach is better than a timer per instance, though. As long as you do this on a per-spell basis rather than one global timer running all your spells, you'll still get a nice distribution of multiple timers without the overhead of having a timer per every instance. Of course, if one spell or system generates disproportionaly more instances than any other in the map then having that one run on a single timer would become problematic, otherwise the signle timer approach is superior in my opinion (though perhaps insignificantly so).

That module looks rather nice, Vex. However, isn't that something that a textmacro could do just as well. Aside from the aesthetic benefit of not being a textmacro, are there any other advantages to modules?

Last edited by Anitarf : 04-06-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Anitarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #34
Rising_Dusk
Obscurity, the Art

Projects Director
Project Leader: OD

Submissions (27)

Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)Rising_Dusk has a reputation beyond repute (1192)

Hero Contest #3 - 1st PlaceApproved Map: Desert of ExileApproved Map: Advent of the ZenithHero Contest #2 - 1st PlaceHero Contest - Third place>

Send a message via AIM to Rising_Dusk Send a message via MSN to Rising_Dusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litany
The .05 in Dusk's Knockback system is hideous.
Jeez, for me that's absolutely fluid. Hrm.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #35
Vexorian
Free Software Terrorist

Technical Director

Submissions (37)

Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)Vexorian has a reputation beyond repute (1062)

Hero Contest #3 - 2nd Place

Quote:
However, isn't that something that a textmacro could do just as well. Aside from the aesthetic benefit of not being a textmacro, are there any other advantages to modules?

Hmnn, modules are like higher level textmacros. My list of things I plan for advantages is:
  • library/scope scoped (the insides as well)
  • Can only work on structs.
  • Can call implement from module
  • Looks pretty and makes sense to people reading it, even new ones.
  • It isn't a hack.
  • Better abstraction for what we are doing...
  • It is less flexible than textmacros, and yes, this is an advantage because:
    - This can aid autocompletion IDEs (not like there are much of those)
    - Less work to understand it.
  • "optional" keyword related to implement makes it just ignore if it can't find the module and halt implanting it, however I need to come up with a way to make library requirements optional as well fro this work 100%
  • I've been thinking of parametrized modules, but I'll leave it for later, parametrized modules will look like generics and will be type-safe in arguments.
Me and grim also had some ideas like making a way to make a parent make childs implement modules. However, I am not sure I will do it, mostly because although it would work with the children, it won't work with the grand children (Though maybe that's a feature) I am not sure if the alternative to make methods that are implemented in childs by "copy paste" is better, if I find out I'll tell you.
Turns your simple code into something that is complicated enough to work.
Faster != more useful
Vexorian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 04:54 PM   #36
Mr.Malte
User

Submissions (2)

Mr.Malte is on a distinguished road (11)

I tested it.
Iterate through all structs: 100%
TT: 40%
KT: 50%
KT and TT and Iterating are included in Emmeasure.
Mr.Malte is offline   Reply With Quote