wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Concept Art / Fan Art
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #1
LightKirtar
User

Respected User

Submissions (3)

LightKirtar will become famous soon enough (32)LightKirtar will become famous soon enough (32)

This is a portrait of a troll female. Best portrait ive done. Drew during class, colored at home, took about 90 minutes in all. C&C on drawing and coloring please. GIMP, mouse.

Zoom (requires log in)
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-06-2004, 01:50 PM   #2
Marco Polaris
User

Marco Polaris is on a distinguished road (10)

I think it needs more chin and a little more shading. Also, maybe the scarf should extend down the neck. I like the hair concept, though.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)

Concept art session 5 - Super Villains

Send a message via AIM to icbm1987 Send a message via MSN to icbm1987

Light... its nice to have you back... but i see some problems in the lines themselves.

With the length of the head you have... we should see where the lower jaw ends... as manifested by a vertical line about 1cm behind the eye... and we should also be seeing the front of the ear.

The tusks are a bit too orcish... troll tusks are much skinnier and streamlined... and troll chins (typically... if it isn't a troll/human hybrid) should protrude more.

And all trolls have some sort of forehead area... NO hair ever starts just above the eyebrows... move the hairline back about 1.5cm and you should be fine.

The coloring isn't very good man... I see the burn tool... and I'm not liking it. On skin you should use the multiply setting for darker values... and screen for lighter values.

I hope Jac responds... she gives crits way better than I do.

icbm1987

Lost upon the winds of time...

Searching... for his lost Lord.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:16 PM   #4
LightKirtar
User

Respected User

Submissions (3)

LightKirtar will become famous soon enough (32)LightKirtar will become famous soon enough (32)

Thanks for the welcome :> .

Anywho, I can definatly see what you mean now and ill get working on it, but as for the coloring... I just had to say goodbye to my 30 day photoshop and now GIMP is back and it takes twice as long to do something.

This is an update before I saw ur post, ill try and make another update ASAP.
Old 04-07-2004, 01:24 PM   #5
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)

That's better...

but one more thing to improve your drawings would be to emphasize the lineart... ask erwt about that.

And dammit... where is he? He gives better shading tips than I do any day...

It's sad that you have to use GIMP... I wish everyone had photoshop... things would be so much easier...

icbm1987

Old 04-07-2004, 04:11 PM   #6
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

lashes????
Old 04-07-2004, 10:02 PM   #7
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwtenpeller
lashes????

... can't you give him useful crits?

icbm1987

Old 04-07-2004, 10:09 PM   #8
Skinhead
User

Skinhead has little to show at this moment (0)

useful????
Old 04-07-2004, 10:16 PM   #9
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skinhead
useful????

... go away... you serve no viable purpose by posting here. All you do is fulfill your need to be a jackass.

I mean useful as in shading techniques and prepping a picture so that it is easier to color.

icbm1987

Old 04-07-2004, 10:19 PM   #10
Marco Polaris
User

It's strange . . . Desperado is banned around the time we see this guy show up. It's like the insulting are gathering in a line to throw derogative spam at our forum!

Oh, and by the way, LightKirtar, now that I think about it, you might want to add the classic jungle troll ears.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:22 PM   #11
Skinhead
User

Skinhead has little to show at this moment (0)

stop being like this, i didnt know what you guys meant by useful. all i see around here is w00t gj, and if thats useful i dunno
Old 04-07-2004, 10:25 PM   #12
Marco Polaris
User

Problem: Skinhead hates the forum.

Solution: Skinhead leaves the forum.

[edit]: Oh, and not to spam: I still think it needs a little more chin. Let's face it - trolls of all genders are ugly!
Old 04-07-2004, 10:58 PM   #13
LightKirtar
User

Respected User

Submissions (3)

I dont understand what you mean by jungle troll ears? You mean like 50 rings in per square inch?

Dont bother trying to make spammers who hate the forum leave. They usualy dont until theyre kicked out with a metal shoe.

Here is an update on the troll situation. ^_^
Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #14
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

constructive eh? sure...

first, marc is right, you really need to gove her the ears, make them pop up behind the bangs that go across her cheeck.

make the mowhawk look more like its made of serporate hairs, this looks morek like its a red plate on top of her head.

the eyes shouldnt show like that, hmm... ist like, at the moment you se the eye as you would see uit when you would be looking straight at its face not from the side, like they did in ancient egypt. that's the main 'problem', i think.

the tusks seem a little flat, and pasted onto het upper lip. troll tusks usually point more outward the orc tusks, more to the front. it is cool how you didnt forget to make the cloth go around the tusk though, very clever, makes it look just a tad rounder.

the forehead should be bigger, right now the hairline starts right at eyebrow hight. allthou8gh trolls foreheads might be a tad smaller then humans, its still not the size of er... nothing.

most trolls dont really have eyebrows, but since its a female, leave them be, makes it look less savage thus more female.

as for the coloring job, you seem to have used burn yes?
dont.

set your outlines to the top layer as multiply,
color in the layer beneath,
the make a third layer between the two, also set to multiply,
now make shadows with a brush set to dark blue, red, purple, black, greay, depending on the atmosphere you are going for. refine them using a blurred low opicity brush and eraser tool
if you want to add highlights you can use the same technique, but with screen amd lightly colored brushes.

sorry if i'm a bit blunt, i blame skinhead ^_^
Old 04-07-2004, 11:01 PM   #15
Marco Polaris
User

Actually, I meant they they equaled night elves in surface area.
Closed Thread