wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Skinning / Texturing
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on copy/paste skinning?
The quality of the skin is all that matters. 104 61.90%
Quality and time spent is more important than freehand drawing. 25 14.88%
Freehand drawing is more important than quality and time spent. 14 8.33%
If you're gonna steal blizz's stuff, you can get the F**K out of WC3C! 25 14.88%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 01:05 PM   #1
Youma
User

Youma has little to show at this moment (0)

I've only skinned on my own up until now, and when I check your tutorials, everyone is free hand drawing. I am probably the worst free hand drawer on the planet, so instead I create my skins with c/p, rotate, rescale, clone tool, smudge, shade, color masks etc. In short, I STEAL from other Blizzard skins.

Though this is no doubt a less honorable method, not everyone can do what I do either. So what is the community's opinion in this matter? How cocky can I be? :gsmile:

Orc Highlander
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 06-09-2003, 03:09 PM   #2
Kiether
User

Kiether has little to show at this moment (0)

it does look good, but its not your own work, plus it only teaches u how to modify CnP not to make things on your own

but i do like the fact that u put effort into your CnP so u do learn some things from that, this the first CnP skin ive liked, gj

so its 2/2
Old 06-09-2003, 03:30 PM   #3
Youma
User

I should stop telling people I cnp then. :gsmile:

I might add that I hardly ever steal big portions. The cape consists of about 70 pieces, and the skin took about 40 hours + model editing and stuff. (and it is not my first skin, nor second or third)
Old 06-09-2003, 05:10 PM   #4
exN
User

exN has little to show at this moment (0)

I've started skinning the same way you are. Learn and you probably soon be able to make your own skins from scratch ;)
anyway good job on it ;)
Old 06-09-2003, 07:17 PM   #5
rav3n
User

rav3n has little to show at this moment (0)

altough i never did CnP, my first skins were 100% recolor... but i tried drawing new stuff by myself and altough my first non-recolor non-CnP skins sucked, i'm getting better :)

now my skins are like ok hehe.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:53 PM   #6
GoblinZzz
User

GoblinZzz has little to show at this moment (0)

nice skin even as the textures aren´t made by you.
Apparently even CnP can be made into an art as itself. :D

I started with different CnP´s but now i prefer freehand editing, CnP´s aren´t that exiting to maek in the long run.
Not that WC3 skinning would be a long run by any means...

And those opinions about CnP, i think it´s ok to start with CnP but sooner or later one should really learn to make textures by freehand drwaing, even blizzards texture storages aren´t unlimited.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:11 AM   #7
Tapek
User

Tapek has little to show at this moment (0)

CnP is a very generalised term.

When I CnP, it's mostly to get certain textures. Google image search can work wonders here. But anyway, I never straight CnP. It's always a little of this, little of that, then I merge it, by smudging and other tools, then you can burn it a bit, and then add bits and pieces of other images that can also be flipped and edited to suit the skin.

When it comes to skintone, I copy as much of it as I can from other models. Why bother drawing your own skin and muscles, it will only suck.
When it comes to faces, I get as many skins with the same skintone as I can, then copy bits and pieces of all their faces to create a new unique face which can then be edited and such.

Also, CnP is a stupid term, when most people use CloneBrush.

Oh and, almost forgot; I still draw some stuff by hand in my skins. Patterns and things are fun to draw in PsP when you add image warping and effects on them.
Old 06-10-2003, 12:37 AM   #8
yoda_24
stop poking me!

Submissions (12)

yoda_24 has a spectacular aura about (89)yoda_24 has a spectacular aura about (89)yoda_24 has a spectacular aura about (89)

Modeling session 4 - Weapon pack

Quote:
Originally posted by Kiether

but i do like the fact that u put effort into your CnP so u do learn some things from that, this the first CnP skin ive liked, gj

so its 2/2

Did you see my night elf jaina, grunt, raider, and sorceress? They were all CnP (just like how Youma did it). That was before I just did all free hand, before I decided to do magic cards. The raider and the grunt were from DotC and DotT.

Project Revolution Skinner/Modeller
Old 06-10-2003, 12:40 AM   #9
Chelo
User

Chelo is on a distinguished road (10)

instead of CnP, try to think of this skin as a "collage" of others, g/j on it
Old 06-10-2003, 02:31 AM   #10
SkylineGT[FB]
User

SkylineGT[FB] is on a distinguished road (10)

befor i read one of ur post saying that the cape is about 70 pieces, i was thinking "holy shit that cape is awsome, were did he get it?"
and if u didnt tell me that this is cnp, or colloge as chelo would put it, i would think that skin was hella tight.

o hell yea! my 1000th post! yea!
Old 06-10-2003, 05:20 AM   #11
FireAarro
User

FireAarro is on a distinguished road (10)

If you CnP, state the source and that you did it. Otherwise when you are revealed you will get Teh Tomatoedâ„¢. Like Mavvy.
Old 06-10-2003, 08:50 AM   #12
Youma
User

Lol, funny that 65% are more positive towards cnp than I am.:gsmile:

The sources are:

evil Arthas
Grom Hellscream
chaos wolfrider
ballista
orc warchief
archmage
paladin
bandit
green chaos warlock
forest troll trapper
nerubian
Old 06-10-2003, 09:08 AM   #13
Youma
User

I've been here four days, and have allready started a poll practically about myself. You'll have to work real hard to get the EGO award next year! ;)
Old 06-10-2003, 10:06 PM   #14
SpiritofWrath
User

SpiritofWrath has little to show at this moment (0)

who cares if it is cnp or not.. as long as u try hard and do a good job whats the problem?
Old 06-10-2003, 11:11 PM   #15
Iron_Ian
User

Respected User

Submissions (1)

Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)Iron_Ian will become famous soon enough (51)

Quote:
Originally posted by SpiritofWrath
who cares if it is cnp or not.. as long as u try hard and do a good job whats the problem?

I agree with that. Who cares if its cnp, recolor, redraw, whatever. Of course for redraw you'll probably get more attention.
But the main thing is that you just put time and effort into it. Not every skin has to be the greatest in the world. If a recolor or minor cnp serves your purpose then thats fine.

Take for example my own skin I recently made, its a noblewoman. Recolor, cnp from the elven villager, and a nice red texture recolored to green that I got off of a texture site. Its not much, but its suits it purpose.

Oh and btw your skin is awesome. Especially the cape :D
Closed Thread