wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Developer's Corner > Triggers & Scripts
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 04-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Flame_Phoenix
retired coder | real ilfe

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Send a message via MSN to Flame_Phoenix
Default How to replicate Undead blight

Hi guys, in my map I am going to add a new race called the Naga. The main idea would be to add it something like the Undead blight, but with Water instead of blight. Naga are only able to build on Water and they have a bonus while in it. However I have 2 problems:
- I make absolute no idea on how to make this work
- My map also has the Undead race, so I don't Water and Blight to cause conflicts
- I don't know how I can make the building be built only on top of water (or shallow)

I am open to ideas, I give rep++ for help.
3-Making a spell in vJass - Practice Session 1
Check out all my current spells at here
Finally, check my project:
Castle vs Castle Flame Edition
Flame_Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

First, use something like naval pathing check to determine whether the build order was issued on water.
If it wasn't, abort the build order and display an error message.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)Flame_Phoenix has a spectacular aura about (90)

Quote:
First, use something like naval pathing check to determine whether the build order was issued on water.
If it wasn't, abort the build order and display an error message.
Yes, I know how to do it that way (In fact that is how I planned it at first. Spell like Light Shield and Lauch Seal thought me how to use AbortOrder in quite a nice way). However take a close look on how Undead buildings are done. The action is made even before you place the structure. If you order an aco to build something on grass, per example, the structure appears "red" on that spot. I wonder if it is possible to simulate the same thing, but using water. Also, how do I make my buildings "spawn water" like Undead buildings "spawn blight" ?
Is it an object editor trick? Will it conflict with blight?
Old 04-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Captain Griffen
Dread Lord of the Cookies

Content Director

Submissions (2)

Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)Captain Griffen is a glorious beacon of light (497)

Approved Map: Warlords[Quicksilver #2] - 1st Place

Have you even checked the pathing section of the object editor...? If yes, check harder.
Quote:
[13:32] <Akolyt0r> hmm.. stil i want to have some unused women
Captain Griffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Alevice
It feels good

Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)Alevice is a jewel in the rough (190)

base your buildings off the goblin shipyard.

you can't spawn water without making some fucked up stuff on the terrain.

Alevice.jones is SC2 Beta, losers.

Check out my never updated deviantart gallery!!

Kalimdor Raiders (Race Contest #1) Pastebin Page
Cavern Crawlers (Race Contest #2) Pastebin Page
Airship Race Motherfuckers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by http://ajaxian.com/archives/would-you-like-a-_-with-that-new-library-gives-js-what-it-should-have#comment-276203
- Dont solve problems that dont exist.
- Improve the wheel, dont reinvent it.
- Port the wheel if it doesnt exist in your environment.
- Integrate the wheel into your project.
- Make sure you can replace your wooden wheel for a rubber one if someone else invents it.

Last edited by Alevice : 04-12-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Alevice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 08:44 PM   #6
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
Have you even checked the pathing section of the object editor...? If yes, check harder.
Quote:
base your buildings off the goblin shipyard.
I should expect such an answer from my dear Nemesis. I know what you are talking about Griffen (and Alevice), although it "could" work nicely on water (sea pathable terrain checked) thing is that "water" is not buildable by default. Sure I could change the buildings path to "sea path only" but then it would be a hell for other races (allies) to build near you, because they would simply not be able to.
So my original idea would be to code the whole damn thing. Is it even possible, using a few tricks?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:19 PM   #7
Feroc1ty
User

Feroc1ty is on a distinguished road (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame_Phoenix
I should expect such an answer from my dear Nemesis. I know what you are talking about Griffen (and Alevice), although it "could" work nicely on water (sea pathable terrain checked) thing is that "water" is not buildable by default. Sure I could change the buildings path to "sea path only" but then it would be a hell for other races (allies) to build near you, because they would simply not be able to.
So my original idea would be to code the whole damn thing. Is it even possible, using a few tricks?

What's your point, allies can't build on blight unless they're undead..
Feroc1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
What's your point, allies can't build on blight unless they're undead..
What!? I am almost sure that a Human (per example) is able to build on blight. Thing is after the construction is finished the blight is dispelled. My problem is that, a Human (per example) can not build on top of water and so I have to find a way to fix this =S
Old 04-12-2009, 11:40 PM   #9
TheKid
User

TheKid will become famous soon enough (37)TheKid will become famous soon enough (37)

In a melee game, human/orc/nightelf can build on any buildable terrain-type while Undead is limited to blight.

If you wanted to duplicate this effect then you would have to make human/orc/nightelf able to build on water.
TheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:36 AM   #10
Tom_Kazansky
User

Tom_Kazansky is on a distinguished road (13)

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom_Kazansky

so, this setting does not work: (Object Editor \ Units)
Pathing - Placement Requires: Sea-pathable
?

EDIT: it works for me, structures that have this setting have to be build on water.

Last edited by Tom_Kazansky : 04-13-2009 at 02:02 AM.
Tom_Kazansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:57 AM   #11
Ignitedstar

RP Section Moderator

Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)Ignitedstar has a spectacular aura about (102)

Send a message via MSN to Ignitedstar Send a message via Yahoo to Ignitedstar

Quote:
What!? I am almost sure that a Human (per example) is able to build on blight. Thing is after the construction is finished the blight is dispelled. My problem is that, a Human (per example) can not build on top of water and so I have to find a way to fix this =S
Oh, I see. So, the best thing for you to do is trigger it, yourself. Since you want to build on water- but also allow other races to build on water (which would also be dispelled), then there's no other way of going around it. You would also have to import terrain textures unless you plan on using something that is already existing. But even then, I'm not sure how you're going to make Water look like actual water, when there's no cliff level adjustment that water usually takes. It's just cosmetics to make a water-drenched area look prettier, but still.

You could import iNfranNe's water model to simulate water that doesn't require cliff height adjustment, but the problem to face then is that you wouldn't have actual terrain; it's just for props. And, you want to be able to detect whether or not there is water, too, right? Because buildings built by this race can only be built on your Water.

Then again... Can you detect custom tiles?

If you want to also simulate the Undead's inability to even build beyond blight, you'd probably have to hack the game, or something. The only to do that is to miraculously have the game know that you're new "blight" exists, and then have it registered as real pathing. Yeah... You'd have to hack the game.
I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.
If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge,
and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing."

1 Corinthians 13:1-2

Current Works:
None.

Last edited by Ignitedstar : 04-13-2009 at 06:58 AM.
Ignitedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:55 AM   #12
Flame_Phoenix

Submissions (10)

Quote:
In a melee game, human/orc/nightelf can build on any buildable terrain-type while Undead is limited to blight.

If you wanted to duplicate this effect then you would have to make human/orc/nightelf able to build on water.
Quote:
Pathing - Placement Requires: Sea-pathable
Yes I know that. However the only way for me to do that is to change the pathing from "buildable" to "ground pathable". This is a problem, because this way, players can build structures in areas that should be un-buildable, like the lanes where units pass, and therefore they can block the lanes (which is bad).

Quote:
Oh, I see. So, the best thing for you to do is trigger it, yourself. Since you want to build on water- but also allow other races to build on water (which would also be dispelled), then there's no other way of going around it. You would also have to import terrain textures unless you plan on using something that is already existing. But even then, I'm not sure how you're going to make Water look like actual water, when there's no cliff level adjustment that water usually takes. It's just cosmetics to make a water-drenched area look prettier, but still.
The problem here is that if I trigger the whole thing, It won't be so perfect. Per example, a player will see the structure "green" in all terrains, and only when he clicks to create the building, the error message appears. It is a valid solution, however it is very choppy.

Quote:
You could import iNfranNe's water model to simulate water that doesn't require cliff height adjustment, but the problem to face then is that you wouldn't have actual terrain; it's just for props. And, you want to be able to detect whether or not there is water, too, right? Because buildings built by this race can only be built on your Water.
If by props you mean doodads or something like that, I think I can find a way of doing it. This would be excellent for a triggered choppy solution.

Quote:
If you want to also simulate the Undead's inability to even build beyond blight, you'd probably have to hack the game, or something.
Unfortunately for me, you are correct. However if do so, other people won't be able to play the map ... which will obviously be bad...

Thx for the water model, rep++
Old 04-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #13
Feroc1ty
User

Feroc1ty is on a distinguished road (14)

Quote:

You don't play ladder much, do you?
Feroc1ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:21 PM   #14
Kyrbi0
AKA Khyrberos

Submissions (1)

Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)Kyrbi0 is a jewel in the rough (170)

Send a message via MSN to Kyrbi0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feroc1ty
Neither do I, but I know you can build on Blight; all other buildings have a "Blight Dispel Radius" ability.
Or were you talking about the "no building on water"?
=It was brought to my attention recently that the ":P" icon stands for "tongue-sticking out", and not the "smirky half-smile" I was using it for all these years. = Thusly I apologize for any unintentional juvenilization of my messages to anyone so afflicted.=
Kyrbi0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 10:32 PM   #15
Strilanc
User

Submissions (4)

Strilanc has a spectacular aura about (131)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feroc1ty

Apparently you've never played melee, because he was correct.