wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Project Discussion > Map / Campaign Projects
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Old 07-31-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
SentryIII
Hello world!

Submissions (2)

SentryIII will become famous soon enough (56)SentryIII will become famous soon enough (56)

Approved Map: S3 Marine Corps

Send a message via AIM to SentryIII
Default Reworking Map - Battleship Command

I've been tempted to fix up my original Battleship Command map, and I thought I should get some feedback here before I start anything. I'm gonna list the background history of the map, current features, features I plan to implement, current problems, and what I'll be doing to fix them. Basically, tell me what you think and whether you think it'll be a fun map to play.

HISTORY

Battleship Command v1.0 was originally a map I created for RoC that was released approximately 2 months before TFT was in stores. I got the idea for the map from the game "Mech Commander", from being able to customize battlemechs with different weapons. Since I haven't seen anything like this before that time, I'm going to assume that I officially made the first map involving ships and multiple weapons. It was an AoS style of map involving ships (flying ships in a futuristic setting) and multiple weapons attached to the ship. The weapons were units that followed the ship (as opposed to buying items with different versions of Phoenix Fire) and had different ranges, cooldowns, and effects (e.g. Nitrogen Missile Racks slowed enemy ships). v1.1 was released as a TFT map, then after v1.3 (or v1.4), I didn't have much time on my hands anymore. The map development was taken over by Shadows_Call (aka Elven_Ronin on this forum). His final version was v1.88.

CURRENT FEATURES
  • Over 40 weapons used for point defense, long-range warfare, bombardments, or all-around capabilities.
  • Special weapons manually fired from the ship.
  • 8 classes of ships.
  • Upgrade your base's units and overwhelm your enemy.

Yeah, I don't have much to say. I have already forgotten much of it. =\

FEATURES I PLAN TO IMPLEMENT
  • MORE WEAPONS! :D
  • Definitely custom models (one of which will definitely not be the Chopper X7 :p)
  • Certain weapons will only fire at certain angles that depends on where your ship is facing.
  • Reworking weapons so that infantry units cannot be targetted. (Ground attacking weapons can still splash on them)
  • Hangar Bays as a purchasable component so that players can safely bring their own fighters into battle.
  • Ship Barracks as a purchasable component so that players can board enemy ships. If forces on an enemy ship can be defeated, the ship will be destroyed. The internal fights will be purely calculated in JASS.
  • Smarter base units. When they're at a low HP and are not engaging the enemy, they'll return to base to heal and then go at it again.
  • Strategies. Players will be able to buy "strategies" to get the next spawned wave to either all go in one direction, or attack a specific player.

CURRENT PROBLEMS
  • Memory Leaks. A lot of them.
  • Weapon imbalances. A lot of the weapons do splash damage, and can eventually kill all of a player's weapons.
  • Player-bought fighters are generally useless for their cost.
  • Other minor bugs.

FIXING PROBLEMS
  • Memory Leaks. There shouldn't be any problem fixing them.
  • For the weapons, I'm thinking of changing most of them to use Missile (Bounce). That way, only a handful of a player's weapons would be damaged.
  • Fighters will only be bought if a ship has Fighter Bays installed. Once they buy a fighter it'll be with the ship until the Fighter Bays are destroyed or sold. If a fighter is destroyed, the ship must return to base and buy a "Refit" for a very low cost to replace all fighters for the ship. Of course, the fighter can be sold.

--------------------

So what do you guys/girls think? Is it a good idea to rework the map, or should I simply not waste time on an old map?

e-Sports Earnings
http://www.esportsearnings.com

S3 Marine Corps (Map Series)
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=83733

Warcraft III AutoRefresh (C# .NET Open Source Application)
http://www.wc3c.net/showthread.php?t=93728

Last edited by SentryIII : 08-02-2006 at 12:07 AM.
SentryIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 07-31-2006, 01:12 PM   #2
Metal_Sonic64
User

Submissions (4)

Metal_Sonic64 has a spectacular aura about (96)Metal_Sonic64 has a spectacular aura about (96)Metal_Sonic64 has a spectacular aura about (96)Metal_Sonic64 has a spectacular aura about (96)

Send a message via MSN to Metal_Sonic64

I liked the map. I believe I still have one of the versions that was made by the other guy. I'd say go for it, it was pretty good as-is, but improved it should be quite a fun map.
Terrain- llllllllll
Triggers-
llllllllll
Metal_Sonic64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:57 PM   #3
Anitarf
Procrastination Incarnate

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentryIII
CURRENT PROBLEMS
  • Memory Leaks. A lot of them.
  • Weapon imbalances. A lot of the weapons do splash damage, and can eventually kill all of a player's weapons.
  • Player-bought fighters are generally useless for their cost.
  • Other minor bugs.
What about that steep learning curve?

Quote:
FEATURES I PLAN TO IMPLEMENT
  • MORE WEAPONS! :D
Sure, make it steeper, what do I care...
Old 07-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #4
Rao Dao Zao
www.raodaozao.net

MDL & Resource Moderator

Submissions (27)

Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)Rao Dao Zao has a brilliant future (822)

Approved Map: When the Freedom Slips Away

Send a message via MSN to Rao Dao Zao

It wasn't that hard a curve. Go into factories, load up with as much sh!t as you can afford, and charge at the enemy. Just like all good AoSes!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)

Approved Map: Dodge The Wisp Wheels

Send a message via MSN to ragingspeedhorn

Does this mean you will not work on the next Marine Corps map for awhile? :(
ragingspeedhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:46 PM   #6
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)Anitarf has a brilliant future (903)

2008 Spell olympics - Fire - SilverApproved Map: Old School Alliance TacticsHero Contest #2 - 3rd PlaceSpell making session 2 winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rao Dao Zao
It wasn't that hard a curve. Go into factories, load up with as much sh!t as you can afford, and charge at the enemy.
That's not a learning curve, because you don't learn anything this way.

This seems appropriate: > link <
Old 07-31-2006, 10:36 PM   #7
SentryIII
Hello world!

Submissions (2)

SentryIII will become famous soon enough (56)SentryIII will become famous soon enough (56)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anitarf
This seems appropriate: > link <

mmmmm That's a good read. It just reminded me of something. There's only around 30 weapons initially available to the players (after the initial availability timer), then as a player upgrades their ship new components become available. As the game progresses, the components that are "unlocked" slowly enable players to kill the base and other ships easier. This way, there's not many components for new players to memorize, and they can still be competitive with the initial weapons if they're behind everyone else a little bit.

I think that there's a lot of variety with initial components while still maintaining significant differences between them (as in different components function differently). As the game goes on, the initial components will never go obsolete since they'll generally be smaller (take up less food) and are still needed to carry out specific tasks, especially the point defense weapons. That's how I'm gonna add new weapons. Even late-game, I want players to be able to continue to unlock more weapons and hopefully they won't make any of the earlier components obsolete.

What do you think of that? Would it help with the learning curve issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingspeedhorn
Does this mean you will not work on the next Marine Corps map for awhile? :(

Not really. If you kept updated on my forum, you'll notice people giving a LOT of suggestions that I don't wanna implement. You'll also notice that it's taking me a while to simply make changes to the general gameplay across all three maps. I already have the terrain and the gameplay design of Assault finished. Once I fix up all three maps, I can go ahead with moving the triggers to Assault and making it playable.

e-Sports Earnings

Old 08-01-2006, 12:47 AM   #8
SeasonsOfLove
A Nitpicky Map Reviewer

Official Map Reviewer

SeasonsOfLove will become famous soon enough (44)SeasonsOfLove will become famous soon enough (44)

[Quicksilver #2] - 2nd Place

Send a message via AIM to SeasonsOfLove

The steep, steep learning curve is an issue in the map that Anitarf mentioned.

That said, it can be quite hard to understand what all the weapons and upgrades and everything does. Of course, it's a very enjoyable map, but very hard to play with pubbies.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:04 AM   #9
Anitarf

Development Director

Submissions (19)

30 weapons? That's 3 shops, just for starting weapons. It may not be as much as DotA, but I think it's still way too much.
Old 08-02-2006, 12:07 AM   #10
SentryIII
Hello world!

Submissions (2)

The Start Stock Delay for components should be enough to keep players from simply getting lots of weapons at the start of the game, and encourage them to go in with what they start with which is 2 SRMs, 2 Vulcans, and 1 Laser. It's sufficient for very early parts of the game while they wait for the initial weapons to become available. The initial weapons become available starting at the 1 minute mark, then the more powerful initial weapons become available after 15 minutes. This way, new players will only need to worry about 2-4 more weapons everytime they go back to heal or buy something. Would there be anything else that would contribute to the steep learning curve that I've overlooked?

BTW, I have two more features I'm planning to implement (updated first post as well).
  • Smarter base units. When they're at a low HP and are not engaging the enemy, they'll return to base to heal and then go at it again.
  • Strategies. Players will be able to buy "strategies" to get the next spawned wave to either all go in one direction, or attack a specific player.

e-Sports Earnings

Old 08-02-2006, 12:29 AM   #11
ragingspeedhorn
I MUST BREAK YOU

Official Map Reviewer

Submissions (10)

ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)ragingspeedhorn is a jewel in the rough (211)

Approved Map: Dodge The Wisp Wheels

Send a message via MSN to ragingspeedhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentryIII
Not really. If you kept updated on my forum, you'll notice people giving a LOT of suggestions that I don't wanna implement. You'll also notice that it's taking me a while to simply make changes to the general gameplay across all three maps. I already have the terrain and the gameplay design of Assault finished. Once I fix up all three maps, I can go ahead with moving the triggers to Assault and making it playable.

I just saw now that you had a site, never noticed before the link in your sig
ragingspeedhorn is offline   Reply With Quote