wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Artist's Discussion and Queries
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 02:21 AM   #1
CitizenSnips
User

Respected User

CitizenSnips has little to show at this moment (0)

If you are interested in creating new models or skins for warcraft or you are just looking for a change of software then look no further. Below you will find links to various applications that can be used to create new content for warcraft 3.

First I will start with the freeware.
  • Wings 3D
    Wings 3D is a free and open source modeling program that is based on Nendo and Mirai. It has a very intuitive and highly customizeable interface. Like Nendo and Mirai it uses a winged edge data structure(hence the name wings) which permits very rapid and straight forward management of edge loops if the user is applying edge loop modeling techniques to their model. Wings is also multi-platform.

URL: http://www.wings3d.com
  • The Gimp
    The Gimp is a free open source image authoring application. It is the photoshop of the open source world. Gimp features filters, a robust paint engine, layers, tablet support and much more. This application would most certainly serve your skinning needs. This application is multi-platform

URL: http://www.gimp.org
  • Dogwaffle
    This program I discovered recently. This is a freeware painting application. It features natural media, textured brushes as well as textured canvases. This would be a great tool for creating skins or for general purpose painting. This application is only available for windows.

URL: http://www.squirreldome.com/cyberop.htm
  • gmax
    This free program is a light version of discreet's 3ds max. It was created specifically for the game moding community. It features nearly all of the animation tools of 3ds max, material editor, modeling tools and even subdivision surfaces. Unfortunately blizzard has not written a gmax module for this so you can not officially export it. Currently a tool is being worked on that will permit exporting from within gmax. More information will be released on this in the near future.

URL: http://www.discreet.com/products/gmax/

Now for the commercial software.
  • Adobe Photoshop
    This is the commercial image authoring program. This application will serve all of your skinning needs and beyond. It is capable of fairly advanced image manipulation so if you can only purchase one commercial editing application this should be at the top of your list.

URL: http://www.adobe.com
  • 3ds max
    This application made by discreet has grown to be the most popular 3d package for game production. This application includes all of the features necessary to model, animate and texture a 3d model for use in warcraft 3.

URL: http://www.discreet.com/products/3dsmax/
  • milkshape
    Milkshape 3d is a very low cost 3d modeling and animation package that is designed specifically for the creation of 3d models for games. This program is a good option for creating and animating models for warcraft 3.

URL: http://www.swissquake.ch/chumbalum-soft/
If anyone has any suggestions to add to this list just post them in this thread.
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 05-29-2003, 03:48 AM   #2
Chapukwuk
User

Chapukwuk has little to show at this moment (0)

You should add Paint Shop Pro to the list. Many users find it easier to work with than Photoshop and it is alot cheaper. Also, this is a great resource, good job.
Old 05-29-2003, 11:59 AM   #3
FireAarro
User

FireAarro is on a distinguished road (10)

Yeah, I told him that. He hasn't used PSP before though, so can't write up about it.
Old 05-29-2003, 08:00 PM   #4
CitizenSnips
User

Respected User

I have used it before, but it's been a few years. I'll read up a little on PSP and probably download a demo and then write something up about it, unless someone else adds it first ;).
Old 08-01-2003, 08:23 AM   #5
Egg
User

Respected User

Egg will become famous soon enough (28)

I heard that PSP 8 has problems with alphas or something of that sort. In my opinion Photoshop is the best anyway.:infth:
Old 09-04-2003, 08:07 PM   #6
XVoltaireX
User

XVoltaireX has little to show at this moment (0)

Quote:
Originally posted by Egg
I heard that PSP 8 has problems with alphas or something of that sort. In my opinion Photoshop is the best anyway.:infth:

Really? I use PSP 7 and I personally love it. But i guess I will not upgrade it, if it has problems with it. Thnx Egg.

Edited because: Got to learn to spell again... .
Old 09-04-2003, 09:54 PM   #7
KDEWolf
User

Respected User

KDEWolf is on a distinguished road (20)

Quote:
Originally posted by Egg
With the new Warcraft III Viewer (v2.1b) you can use PSP8 at will, we fixed that issue cause by PSP program.
Old 09-23-2003, 12:40 AM   #8
Bunny-of-death

yo about the gimp paint shop thing, im a little confused about whut and how to DL it casue thy use .blz(or something like this) and im not to familleremote_sweat .

Old 10-26-2003, 03:25 PM   #9
alpengeist36
Respected User

alpengeist36 is on a distinguished road (10)

also this is the direct link to gimp for windows

http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/#gtk
Old 10-31-2003, 03:59 AM   #10
Smokenham
User

Smokenham has little to show at this moment (0)

Just outa intrest at school we have on the graphics comps a piece of software called pro desktop, just wondering if anyone has used it?
Old 11-04-2003, 09:03 PM   #11
Oxalic
User

Oxalic has little to show at this moment (0)

what about anim8or ? freeware first link on google
Old 11-08-2003, 09:58 PM   #12
Smokenham
User

never heard of it, is it good or is it just like most freeware programs out there?
Old 11-08-2003, 10:02 PM   #13
CitizenSnips
User

Respected User

There is no way to get your animations from anim8or into war3 unless you have 3dsmax already. In which case you would no longer need anim8or unless you prefered animating in it over max.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:45 AM   #14
Smokenham
User

yea but not everyone here still makes stuff for wc3
Old 11-10-2003, 10:19 AM   #15
CitizenSnips
User

Respected User

I'm certain that's true, but this sticky is for listing software useful for creating models, animations and skins for war3.
Closed Thread