wc3campaigns
WC3C Homepage - www.wc3c.netUser Control Panel (Requires Log-In)Engage in discussions with other users and join contests in the WC3C forums!Read one of our many tutorials, ranging in difficulty from beginner to advanced!Show off your artistic talents in the WC3C Gallery!Download quality models, textures, spells (vJASS/JASS), systems, and scripts!Download maps that have passed through our rigorous approval process!

Go Back   Wc3C.net > Warcraft III Modding > Artist's Corner > Concept Art / Fan Art
User Name
Password
Register Rules Get Hosted! Chat Pastebin FAQ and Rules Members List Calendar

Closed Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 05:11 AM   #1
leppy
User

leppy is on a distinguished road (20)

heres a pic that i may still be working on, but i dont really know what else i should do, so gimme some ideas!

should i do a backround to make the lighting and stance look more natural?

and yeah... anything else you wanna say.... crits and stuff.. :>

Zoom (requires log in)
Sponsored Links - Login to hide this ad!
Old 04-03-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
theravenguard
User

theravenguard has little to show at this moment (0)

looks kool.

Is an example of a very bad post.

I am not sure but I think a darker background with somthing in it like a floor for example would do it well. I don't really like the feet, sort of takes away from the overall pic but I'm not sure why. Well done, did you colour it free-hand with markers or pencis or did you use photoshop or some alike program.
Old 04-03-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)

Concept art session 5 - Super Villains

Send a message via AIM to icbm1987 Send a message via MSN to icbm1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by theravenguard
looks kool.

Is an example of a very bad post.

ahh... now they understand... good.

I think that if you were to make a background...
Something with a cliff... like as if she is walking up to the edge to have a better vantage point.

And personally... I really think that she would look good in a storm. Make some blue lightning and light from that (You can shade better than me so don't ask how), and then make the drops of rain flowing in the direction of her hair... because we have nothing else about her that says that the wind is blowing... unless you make the loincloth flap in the wind... and well... I think you are showing too much of her bottom already.

icbm1987

Lost upon the winds of time...

Searching... for his lost Lord.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:37 PM   #4
kimchi man
User

kimchi man has little to show at this moment (8)

Well since evryone is whining about there is not enough crits. I will give some crits. Im warning I really know how to nitpick an art work to death ^.^Don't get offended now just trying to help you.

First of all the wings.. the angle of the base of the wing ( the robotic part )
and the angle of the feather part of the wings look skewed. The feather part looks flat like its pointing directly to the left while the base looks like it facing more towards us (foreshortened) So the whole thing looks like it bending matrix style.

Same thing goes for her weapon. The elipses on the weapon parts are all wrong. The elpise on the part where its the base of the blade.... Its like we are looking sort of a bottom view of it . while the bottom part of the staff is like we are looking at a top view... so the whole staff looks like its bending.

Bah i need to do a over draw to explain it better

Also her right deltoid ( the big shoulder muscle on the arm) needs to be moved over to right a bit. The way the arm is drawn it looks like shes extending it directly to the right and the deltoid cannot be in that position.

Some parts of the shadows look really textury and muddy like her arm and back area... It could be the white back ground Im not sure.

Maybe your shadows is correct but your values is wrong. I think its more of a value problem. There is no real contrast for form.You should seperate your lights and darks for contrast. If you blend extreme lights and dark too much like a gradiant. itll make things really dull and muddy. like a sand ball

Also im guessing the armor and weapon is metal, some parts look really muddy. Lights go crazy on metal.

Phew The main problems I see is just perspective issues and anatomy, but the anatomy could be funky because of the style.

Ill try to do an over draw to clearly show the problems.

Also keep up the awesome stuff. You've improved alot since the last time I saw your stuff
Old 04-03-2004, 04:32 PM   #5
Moon_Lunatic
User

Respected User

Moon_Lunatic is on a distinguished road (10)

Your awesome Leppy, how long have you been working on this?

icbm, your sig is from Blizzards April fools day ;).
Old 04-03-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
icbm1987
Lost Knight

Concept Art Moderator

Submissions (2)

icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)icbm1987 has a spectacular aura about (110)

Concept art session 5 - Super Villains

Send a message via AIM to icbm1987 Send a message via MSN to icbm1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Lunatic
icbm, your sig is from Blizzards April fools day ;).

Actually... no it isn't.

The proof that Blizzard tried to use is faulty... there will be a 0 at the end of the .999... sequence... which would result in a difference of .000...1

I talked with my math teacher (Conrad-you won't get this if you weren't here when I first came) and this is what we came up with.

icbm1987

Lost upon the winds of time...

Searching... for his lost Lord.
Old 04-03-2004, 07:12 PM   #7
Buttink
User

Buttink is on a distinguished road (10)

first there is no shinyness to wings its in the middle u have it.

sencend the ass has like no definition
Old 04-03-2004, 09:24 PM   #8
leppy
User

thanks for the crits everyone! especially kimchi man, thanks for all the tips. :D i think i see what you mean about the perspective issues on the weapon. i can fix that easily by reversing the elipse on the bottom of the weapon though, now that you pointed that out.

and for the backround, icbm's idea was basically what i was planning on doing. when i drew her i had imagined her being up on some cliff, except more sunny, with the sun coming down on her from the top right
Old 04-03-2004, 09:31 PM   #9
Count_Carigon
User

Count_Carigon is on a distinguished road (10)

this is just more of a style crit i guess, theoretically it could be that you intended this, but she appears to have no left arm. with that pose, unless she is sticking it strait out from her, a left arm should appear, but thats just my opinion
Old 04-04-2004, 12:12 AM   #10
kimchi man
User

kimchi man has little to show at this moment (8)

heh glad you understand leppy. I think the only time you can see the elipses like that is if you put a cylinder horozontily near your face, and you see the elipses in your corner of your eyes/blindspot. Also elipses and cylinders... The width of the elipse is always going to be at right angles with the length, no matter what angle or perspective. The only real thing you need to worry about is how roundish or ovalish you need to make it. You can understand more cleary in the overdrawing with the cylinder and the red T shape

I did a over drawing of a top view of the character to show you how I was reading the right wing.
I also did a little quick overcoloring on the leg. Im no master with colors but I know that midtones can get pretty saturated. I think thats why your shadows was looking muddy, some parts looked like you was just blending the shadow color into the light, skipping the middle colors. Take a look at some photos with the eyedropper. The midtones can get to 100 percent saturation at times.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:34 AM   #11
leppy
User

i see what you mean.... thanks for pointing all those things out.

the leg looks much better that way, more life-like. i'll remember that when i'm coloring skin from now on, because i seem to get the shading really muddy looking alot. :D

but i dunno if i'm gonna bother to change the wing's position or the curve of the weapon at this point, mainly because im lazy.... the shoulder and elipse of the base of the weapon i definitely need to fix though.

the metal could use some work, but i was thinking it would be more of a rusty brass/bronze look (it's got some green tint to it), once i add some dirt and scratches. but it could still use some shine to make it more metallic... i'm a noob at how to do that though. ^_^

but i'm trying to learn as much as i can while i'm working on this one, so i'm open to all suggestions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Lunatic
how long have you been working on this?
not too long... i did the lineart in pen (dont remember how long that took, but it actually came pretty quick once i started drawing because i had thought about what it was gonna look like for quite awhile) and then i spent probably a few hours altogether coloring it in photoshop over a couple days... i had the sketch laying around for about a week though, before i finally scanned and colored it.
Old 04-04-2004, 07:25 AM   #12
Saboera
User

Saboera is on a distinguished road (10)

well if u want a background i guess a top of building and view over a city would rock (note i dint read all the post)
Old 04-04-2004, 10:03 PM   #13
erwtenpeller
*****istrator

Art Director

Submissions (35)

erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)erwtenpeller has a brilliant future (927)

Skinning Contest 7 ~ Were-AnimalsConcept art session 3 - Dungeon

very cool looking... and kimchi, you give mad crits man cngrats... very cool.